Seat going for custom work: any advice?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by hammick, May 2, 2012.

1. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm dropping my seat off for a custom job in the morning. Had the appointment today where he saw me on the bike.

Bike is a '12 F650GS. Low seat is unbearable. I'm 5'9" about 180lbs. Any advice from inmates that have done this?

I know the seat is going to get taller but that is OK.

Thanks.
  2. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing....after all the pain of the stocker. I switched to a Sargeant....it was 70% there...but after a trip from Atlanta to Seattle (7,000 miles) I was ready for more changes....so found a local upholstry shop to make a few experimental changes.

1) Key for me was make sure the seat pocket (where the end of your butt sits) is in the right place.
    2) I had the seat dished out.
    3) Had some additional heavy padding added.(stay away from gel padding is what all upholsters told me).
    4) Bought an AirHawk seat that is periodically used on long trips. (do really like the AirHawk).

Before paying I'd test ride the seat for an hour. My guy said most of the work was taking the cover off and putting it back on...adding padding and dishing was the easy part. If you do not participate in the seat changes you won't get what you want.

Good luck....stock seat was a royal pain.
    Weird - just left the Kansas City airport 3 or 4 hrs ago).
  3. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply and I hope you enjoyed KC. I've lived here all my life. My thought on the Midwest is if you can travel it is a good place to live. It would be nice if Missouri bordered Colorado though :evil

The guy does mostly custom jobs for Harleys and other cruisers. He has done some BMWs. He is building up the low seat which has very little foam. He said he uses memory foam. He is going to build up and level out the seating area so I can move around.

I will have a chance to ride around without the seat cover for a long as I like. I'm sure there will be changes after the initial test ride.

If the GS works out I'll give him a shot at my GT.