Husky TR650 - New Owners Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by HighFive, Dec 23, 2012.

1. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    The following links have been created by TRZCharlie to help navigate this Thread:

THREAD INDEX Hyperlinks

TR650 Terra/Strada OEM and Interchangeable Parts Listing

This cool map is provided by Rugged Exposure, showing general locations of TR650 owners. Add yourself to the map, if you are so inclined. It could be a helpful resource, should a need arise.

Husky TR650 MAP / MOSS Locator

Link to Cafe Husky forum

My original post begins here:

It's a new bike and it's a new day, but due to the lack of a decent manual (or just my old age), I'm accumulating a list of Stupid Questions faster than I can change into my riding gear. I need a lifeline.

This thread is hereby declared the official SAFETY ZONE for New Owner -Stupid Questions regarding the Husqvarna TR650 (Terra & Strada). A flame free, insult free, exchange zone for asking stupid questions and receiving a helpful accurate answer if there happen to be anyone smart enoough to answer such stupid questions.

Consider it the "TR650 Quick Reference for Dummies". Let's stay on point, and keep the extraneous chit-chat to a minimum. There is ample room for general discussion on the Terra Mega-Thread. That thread is growing fast, and soon it will get huge.....as this bike skyrockets in popularity. Yes, the motor is THAT good. The rest of it ain't too bad neither. If you ask a stupid question on the mega-thread.....what's been asked and answered 50 times already, then be prepared for a lashing. Anything is fair game over there. You may well be told to "read up" or "do your homework" or some such thing. NO WHINERS.....it's nothing personal, don't take it that way. Everyone is invited to the party, and just having fun.

Step into the Safety Zone over here, and you just might get your Stupid Question answered with grace and style, if you're feeling lucky. Or maybe not.....I donno. Let's roll !

Here are a few of my stupidest Stupid Questions:

1) Where is that extraordinary toolkit hiding?

2) How do I get the steering lock to work? It looks like a normal system....push down the key and turn it counter-clockwise, but it doesn't do anything. Feels like I'm going to break something or bend the key. I shouldn't have to force it...eh?

3) Where the heck is the air filter door? The Dealer couldn't even tell me.

HF :ear
    Stuntdude and rsser like this.
  2. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll give a shot at 2)
    Have you tried turning the bars lock to lock while keeping a slight pressure on the key?
    I know on earlier models there was a problem with the tank vent dumping fuel down the headstock and washing out the steering stem lower bearing due to the lock hole. Maybe they did away with the steering lock???
  3. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Super thanks, JRP! That did the trick.

I found the lock on the left side by slowly sweeping the bar toward the stop. It's not at full steering lock position, like so many bikes. Rather a good bit away. It takes a fair bit more pressure on the key (pushing and turning counter-clockwise) than I'm accustomed to. I missed the spot several times before finding it.

Kind of a tricky to locate. Maybe mine is just rough around the edges and will wear in better over time. Careful everyone, don't force it and break or bend your key.

That was easy and painless. Who can answer my other two questions?

HF. :lurk

Oh....I have more. I'm won't run out of stupid for a while.
  4. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go here: www.cafehusky.com They have a whole forum just for that bike and have been VERY helpful to me.

I had 2003 BMW single. My guess is the Husky might be similar, tool kit under the seat pan and air filter under the fake gas tank shrouds.

Just checked...air filter under the right side "tank" panel.
  5. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scott,

The air filter door is at the front right of what would normally be a gas tank. There are 3 allen screws on mine---seems some others have had torx screws.
    It's not hidden or under any panels. In fact---it's in such plain view I like to never found the thing first time.

After removing the screws it pulls straight out-------kind off-------but it's not easy---the big wiring harness is in the way. I struggled with it and finally got it out. It's a paper filter.
    I used a dremel and ground away some of that door to make it easier---still kind of a PITA.

3,500 miles to date----just 2 things I don't like about the bike----the high beam indicator and the whole air filter thing---all of it.
    I'm waiting for you to figure out how to put an ordinary foam filter on this bad boy-----I've already gave myself a headache thinkin' about it :huh:huh:D

I know---wah, wah, wah, wah,

I just wanted to post a picture to show I'm qualified for this thread.

Now who made that sign I wonder ??????

[​IMG]
  6. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. wagonpilot

wagonpilot Freeeeze

Oddometer:
    So, is there a semi transparent tinted nail polish or something we can put over the high beam indicator. I would like to see it still, but I don't need it to give me a suntan either.
  8. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tools? What tools? Evidently only the European bikes had them as I have yet to hear from any US owners with tool kits. The only tool of any note included over the pond is the rear shock adjusting spanner. I used an old spanner from the 70's to adjust mine, but it was very tight in there. I don't think I could get it to work in the tightening direction, either. I put my shock on full soft since the bike is set up for a passenger, and stiffened the rebound. More testing needed to see if enough rebound is cranked in.

I had hopes that no suspension work would be needed on this bike, but once LTR or RaceTech get a look inside and determine that something can be improved, I'll probably have it done. Things feel a little stiff for me right now.
  9. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, that was very helpful. And bloodless!

See....the water is warm. Jump right in and get the answer to all your stupid questions, but were (previously) afraid to ask.

Here is another one from me:

How in the heck do I get the seat off? :huh

That there has to sound like a reeeeally stupid question from a mechanic, such as I. But I'm not joking. I'm stumped! Where are the fasteners or the release? Apparently, I'm blind and stupid.

HF :confused
  10. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    Stick your key in and turn it. (between the cans just below the tail light)

[​IMG]

Not a stupid question at all. I stared at my WRR for a few minutes when I first got it looking for where to put the key in before realizing it was bolts.
  11. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    One other thing about removing the seat. If you flip it over there's a little spot for paperwork. I put my registration, insurance, etc. in there. Ziplock and a rubber band.

[​IMG]
    Stuntdude likes this.
  12. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man---so glad you posted that---I didn't know that-------and now that High Five knows how to get his seat off---he can use it too. :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

BigDog
  13. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Darn tootin right I'm gonna use it. :deal Nice tip….krussell. Great idea.

Followed the pointers and started digging. This seat latch is terrific! No fuss, no mess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite tidy under here. Got room in front of battery to haul something…..maybe a small toolkit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Come to think of it, was that where my missing OEM toolkit was supposed to go?

Now a looksee into the airbox.

I've got lots of Torx experience on my F800GS. At first, I was bummed about it. Now, I love it….they've become my all-time favorite fasteners.

Here are the tools of my new trade:

[​IMG]

A ratcheting screwdriver-style wrench with removable bits (which fit in the handle).

And my favorite little pistol grip

[​IMG]

Those two wrenches cover 75% of the Torx duty in the garage. The other 25% is handled by a 1/4" socket driver.

But, you need an assortment of small to large extensions, plus a swivel extension:

[​IMG]

The swivel joint comes in real handy for a tight fit like this. Could be a real PITA without it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Piece of cake with it. This Torx screw is a T-25. The most common size I see glancing over the bike.

I had to pry it open with a screwdriver just a bit….to break the seal and gain a grip.

[​IMG]

This must be the thick wire harness BigDog was complaining about.

[​IMG]

I didn't have much trouble with it. I pushed it downward (toward ground) and gave a hard yank on the filter assembly. It popped right out.

(Go eat some Wheaties BigDog….and try again).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its a little tight to access, but not a problem with the right tools. I actually like it up here….high on the bike….up front.

It was much harder for me to find it (with out advice) than it was to remove it.

This is the same type of air filter used on my F800GS, though slightly smaller in size. I like these pleated paper filters….they last a real long time.

I change them on my F800 after 4,000 miles just because. They never seem too dirty, but it helps me sleep better at night. Foam filters….I'm cleaning all the time.

I, for one, am very pleased to see this type of filter on this bike. Located high and dry up front, it won't get dirty as fast as what you are used to.

BUT….you do need to add a good layer of grease right here:

[​IMG]

Muy better…..do it soon!

HF :thumbup

p.s. See how far a little Stupid can get you? Post up!
    Rotax655 and helven like this.
  14. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Looks like the same filter in the XChallenge as well. Used the Bel-Ray grease around the seal area, worked great.

You would have to like the Torxhead bolts owning the Berg as well. I just made up a lot smaller 2nd tool kit to carry with the Berg.
  15. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sprockets! I posted this over at Cafe Husky too. I want to go up on the rear sprocket and had a hard time finding a source for anything larger than 49T. Found it: Supersprox USA. However, they list three or four different F650GS's; Dakar, early years and later years, and I think one with 8.5mm bolts. Which one do we need? I'm sure the Terra hubs are right out of the F650 parts bin, but are all of these variations with different bolt spacing or hole diameter? Inquiring minds want to know. I want to go up to 50 on the rear for a little more slow speed control without slipping the clutch. I never know when I might want to get foolish on some trail that I shouldn't be on. Want to leave the large 16T countershaft sprocket alone. Big is good!
  16. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    HF, thanks a lot for this thread, perfect for my new Strada. Your pictorial is excellent.
  17. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    The idea just popped nn my head, because there is more fingernail polish in my master bath than tools in my garage. Life is not fair....occasionally, you try to even the score.

I've not tried it, but might work. But the heat put off by the 100,000 lumens might melt the polish. Hhhmmm....

18. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Supersprox all the way, blaisew! Don't select on your own, call them on the phone. They will make a sprocket specific for your bike, even if they don't have it listed. I had them make a me a custom 45 tooth rear sprocket for my F800GS to get the gearing setup right where I wanted it. They charged me a little extra....$50 maybe, I forget.....and it's a work of art.

Best way to go, for sure. I'll definitely switch to Supersprox when I wear down the stocker a good bit.

19. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    You are welcome, Mr. Deans! Let your stupid side run free....stop suppressing it. Probably even add years to your riding life.

HF :D
  20. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    What is this for?

[​IMG]

HF :lurk