EWS! error ..... damn!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Ayrshire Bull, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Ayrshire Bull

Ayrshire Bull why the hell not?

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks

Just had some challenges with my scoot today (2010 r1200gs)

Got the EWS! error and the little (happy) yellow triangle.

Trouble is - this usually means that the ring antenna is kaput - and your bike won't start. Well I was having the opposite problem - and my bike wouldn't shut down.

I could even take the key out of the ignition - and she'd still be running. Once or twice, I'd hit the kill switch on the right hand side, and she;d still keep on goin'..... :eek1

I took a spin round to my dealers so the lads there could take a look - and they were closed for year end stock taking - not open till next week.

when I got home, I could kill the engine - but even removing the key completely, would leave the lights on - in the end I had to disconnect the neg terminal on the battery to kill the circuits completely.

One other point of note - was there was a little black box - LHS - about even with your left calf when sitting on the bike. It has two lines going down to the exhaust flappy unit (sorry, I'm not a wrench) - well it kept going through some sort of cycle - making repeating noises like a small electric servo motor was turning slowly around - pausing - then repeating ..... - sounded as though it never quite completed its cycle, so it would just repeat, over and over ...... when I wiggled it, it would cause the headlamp to go on and off. strange.

Is there anything I can do meantime to facilitate some sort of repair (or more detailed fault identification) or should I just leave it to the pros and take her into the shop.....

Ideas would be welcome - while I go open a bottle of red and try not to get all aggitated :wink:
  2. Multiplicity

Multiplicity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds more like an ignition switch problem and the EWS lamp has come on because the key was removed while it was running :norton
  3. Ayrshire Bull

Oddometer:
    Thanks Multiplicity

I did have an ignition challenge a month or so ago.

The steering lock wouldn't work. And then again about two weeks later, the kill switch on the RHS wouldn't work.

Strange - this bike's been rock solid so both of these minor issues are coming as a surprise

Are these extra clues - do you think?
  4. Multiplicity

Oddometer:

Sounds like it to me. You'll need to get a wiring schematic and verify each circuit as you cycle the switch.
    I would say it's about 90% an ignition switch itself.
  5. Ayrshire Bull

Oddometer:
    Thanks again MTP .... I'll have the guys in the shop take a look (bike's still under warranty) - and I'll post our findings and outcomes,
  6. Multiplicity

Oddometer:
    Okay! They'll just hook it up to the diagnostic system and check it. Do lets us know what they find. Thanks.