KTM Clarificatoin??????????

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by B.Curvin, Nov 26, 2004.

1. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    I'm wanting a KTM, BUT, I want lightness. Street & Trail. Long Range.

Here's the Dilema. I've narrowed it down to two bikes.
    I will do 50/50 street trail (about)

Adventure: Great range (big tank)
    Leccy start
    Wind protection
    will take any and all luggage

cons: weight
    maybe/maybe not available 2005
    Crap front fender on new ones

[​IMG]

660 SMC: Light weight
    would only have to get 21" front wheel/use rear off-road too
    Big power :D

cons?: American version apparently different to everyone elses.
    Is the sub-frame the same as the Adventure?
    (rear fender is different)
    will an Adventure rear fender and rack fit?
    I would have to install Adventure Tank and Fairng $$$$$
    I wouldn't have the instruments of the Adventure

Our 660 SMC
    [​IMG]

Everyone elses 660 SMC
    [​IMG]

I wonder which route would be cheaper?

Making an Adventure out of a motard
    or vice-versa

Does our 660 have the same oil capacity as everyone elses?
    Does it have a cush drive?

look! a chicken!

Thanks in advance for any replys
  2. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Unless you have connections, I expect you will have a real hard time finding a 660 SMC. There may be some 625 SMC's coming in this year, but there are possible problems with this as well. If the few that might make it here, are not yet spoken for (doubtfull) they may be very spendy. The dollar is going down the tubes, with a record $1.328usd to the Euro. Secondly I have yet to hear of a single SMC (660 or 625) owner that feels the bike works in single track, the suspension is just too stiff, and too short in travel. (These guys otherwise love their bikes, but don't recomend the SMC for D/S, 50-50, etc.)
  3. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Whoops, battery in the laptop ran outta juice. Continued....

For what you want, I would suggest a used 625 SXC, or a used 640 ADV. Both can be had for very reasonable price, especially an ADV. I think I speak for most of the guys here, when I say the 2003 was the high point of the model. If your going to be using it offroad, why pick up a new one, when there are plenty of well cared for, low mileage and often well equiped examples to choose from? The transformation from SMC to ADV would be very spendy, I would estimate about $2k usd, (not counting wheels, brakes, etc.) It is quite a bit cheaper to swap a ADV over to SXC/LC4E spec. A 625SXC with 17's would work pretty well on the street as well.
  4. B.Curvin

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I agree with your insight. An Adv with 17s would be a hoot,

plus I can use it off road and it's got all the gauges. A little porky, but

I would rather have weight and longevity rather than a 525 that has to be rebuilt

twice a year. When I get ahold of a bike I like, I'll put 10 to 15,000 a year

on them.

Thanks for the input.

Mango
  5. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you're attracted to the SMC conversion option to save weight. I suspect once you convert either the trail or the road bike to the other's spec, you have about the same weight, so I don't see any advantage there - they're very similar bikes under the clothes.

- Mark
  6. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, Mango.

I'm about 1-1/2 hrs East of you with a 640 Adv that you can test-ride whenever you like.

I've only had it about 2 months, but I'm really enamored with it already. I got it because I wanted something dirt-worthy that I could ride to the dirt. It's quite a bit better on dirt than I expected, given the weight, and waaay better on the street than I thought it would be. If I had to give up one of my bikes right now, it would be the Beemer.

But, when it comes down to it, if the wind protection and fuel capacity of the Adv don't matter, the LC4-E and SXC will serve you just as well, if not better. It's a great motor in a great chassis. You just have to decide which bolt-ons are most important.
  7. B.Curvin

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I drive right by you all the time on my way to Charlotte.

I work there about twice a month. We'll have to hook up and go

ridin sometime.
  8. Mr D Hertz

Mr D Hertz Old and Tired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mango-
    When I first got my 02 640 Adventure, one of the first trips I went on was a Baja ride with some pretty good (as in motocross racer type) riders. I certainly wasn't as skilled as they were, but we were all amazed at the capabilities of my bike in the dirt. What a blast!
    A few months ago, I decided to get a set of street wheels/tires as well. So, I installed a pair of 17" wheels with sticky rubber (complete with rotor, sprocket, etc.), a pumper carb properly jetted, a bar snake and some soft grips, some bar risers, a Scotts dampener, and maybe best of all....a Bill Mayer saddle.
    I must say....the transformation is startling! The bike feels like a canyon racer now. I can easily do hundreds of miles a day without strain. The vibration has been minimized, and is a non factor now.
    There was a time when I thought I might trade up for a 950 Adventure and keep the 640 in dirt mode, but I no longer want a 950 'cause I'm having too much damn fun on the 640!
    Two sets of wheels for your 640 Adventure, and you have a bike with a serious multiple personality disorder!
  9. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mango,

AFAIK the bike that you showed as "our" 660 is the 2005 bike and the "everyone elses" bike is the 2004 bike. KTM changed to the different rear fender and twin exhausts for the 2005 models.

As everyone else has said, I'd go for the Adventure from the start. Getting a 660 and then converting to Adv. spec. would take lots of time and money for little benefit.
  10. B.Curvin

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hertz & KTim both. Hertz, that sounds like a plan. A recent Baghira

ride is what got me all fired up on this. I was able get my knees down, was

almost dragging the pegs(feet too wide), and out running my buddy who was

on my SV at deals gap. The ADV has WAY!!!!! better suspension than the

Baghira so it should be a real hoot. I only have the SV right now. But I started

riding dirt bikes at age six. This was my stable a couple years ago,

[​IMG]

so ya, I like the street and trails also.

Thank you everyone.
  11. Mr D Hertz

Mr D Hertz Old and Tired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mango-

I'll email you a few pics if you want to see how it looks in street trim.

PM me if you are interested.
  12. B.Curvin

Oddometer:
    My current desktop :thumb

[​IMG]
  13. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Top right 660SMC (the '05 one with the twicepipes) appears to have the oil-in-frame config with the cartridge filter. Top left ('04?) one does not. I am loathe to rely on KTMUSA's photo/model accuracy, so this may be a meaningless observation. I agree with what everyone said above. You won't regret an Adventure. I'm cruising the thrift stores daily looking for that bargain second wheelset as I ride my knobbies down the street...

Hey! I kind of like that new rear fender arrangement. Wonder if that and the side panels will fit my old gurrl? Maybe you need the twicepipes :evil