Sudden Death Syndrome Re-visited

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by itsagas, May 24, 2005.

1. itsagas

itsagas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If this hasn’t already been figured out and posted, here it is. I’ve got about 2200 Km on a 2005 640 Adventure and have encountered “Sudden Death Syndrome” three times. All have occurred at low RPM. The first occurrence, now that I think about it, was the most telling. The bike made a little compression cough and died. I took the problem to the KTM dealer and initially they were stumped. I kept on pushing and they kept on digging. This is the explanation that I got, and I think they’ve nailed it. The bike is new and not broken in. The jetting is stock and lean. These things contribute t a rough idle. When the idle is rough and bouncy sometimes the automatic compression release mechanism will engage and kill the engine. The answer; let the bike break in, play with the jetting, air box and exhaust until you are happy with the performance. At this stage the idle should be much more stable so you should be able set the idle speed lower while also preventing the auto compression release from killing the motor.

Creeper,

Your thoughts?

Itsagas
  2. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    And your idle speed warm is set to what? :ear
  3. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    just bump up th idle a couple hundred should fix that. sounds to low if it stumbles and the decomp starts clackin. Jet it and set the idle up. likes to have a high idle anyway. :nod