Another G/S on the road

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bgoodsoil, Sep 2, 2008.

1. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    Nice...finally building himself a skid plate. :clap
  2. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    gross. Budweiser.
  3. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer...unemployed....:cry
  4. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    Water is cheaper.....

Get a copy of the documentary Beer Wars. Interesting stuff. After watching that I never had another Bud....or never mind...never had one.
  5. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    It's hard to see but we were using a KLR engine as a weight to hold down the plate. It's about all they're good for :D

I'm hoping to finish it up tomorrow and get some pics up.
  6. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:

+1
  7. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    Thats cold...:vardy
  8. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't talk that way about the red and white dynamite. Tall boys of bud heavy will always have a special place in my heart.
  9. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I'm ashamed to admit this, but anyhows, had a free BUDLIGHT today after playing w/ the DRZ in a friends field, nice little dirt bike trail w/ some ruts, a little mud hole and a little rolling terrain. Kind of tight in areas. Had a blast learning this offroad thing. just taking small steps right now.

Oh yeah, back to the beer, 1st one I've had since the ADV rally, so even Budlight was good after a hot day.
  10. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    The best cheap beer is a brand called Seafresh. You can't find it on any package store shelf as it's only available on the seashore. To find it, walk along the high tide line and keep your eyes open for silver cans. That is usually seafresh beer. Bottles are good too, but you must know what a properly sealed bottle looks like as other nasty things can be in there......:puke1
  11. datchew

Oddometer:
    Red and white dynamite = hilarioius.
    The fact that boys have a special place in your heart = :ymca
    :lol3
  12. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, maybe I should have spelled that "tallboys". You DO call them tallboys down south, don't you? Magnums? Dobles? Bum cans?

[​IMG]
  13. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Longnecks :deal

So's you don't have to stand around talking about a cooler full of boys :lol3
  14. datchew

Oddometer:
    I call them solvent. But not being a native of the south, I'm not really a credible reference for such matters. :lol3
  15. bgoodsoil

Oddometer:
    Negra Modelo is my new favorite. It's good dark beer, not too hoppy, and not too expensive. I'd almost rather stay sober than drink Budweiser. Almost :evil

Anywho, finished that main bash guard with a little help from Detroit.

[​IMG]

Yes, it's STEEL :gdog Yes, it's HEAVY! After I make the plate for the center stand it'll be just under 5 pounds but the weight is held as low as possible so I'm not too worried about it affecting handling. I guess I'll find out soon enough! For a comparison, MaxBMW lists the PD plate as 2.73 pounds. Mine's roughly 2 pounds heavier. After Jenna and I both crushed our headers, narrowly avoiding crushing our sumps, we decided to go with protection over lightness.

One 2'x2' 16 gauge plate was $35 and we got two bash guards out of it. Took me maybe an hour to make the 2nd one after I knew what I was doing. I scored lines along the back so I could bend the steel then I filled the line in with the welder. I also drilled large holes in the plate and welded washers on the back to recess the bolts.

[​IMG]

That little corner I cut at the back is to make room for the springs. I painted it with some of the green paint I had left over from the bike.

[​IMG]

I welded on those little tabs along with some bolts to mount my sports bra. You can see where it melted through since the stock mounts didn't provide enough space.

[​IMG]

I decided to give it a trial by fire by riding across a stump in the yard and bottoming out. I got kinda stuck :D

[​IMG]

It's not like hitting a rock at momentum but I did drop a 500 pound bike on the plate and it's none the worse for wear

[​IMG]

I tried to get a bug's eye view but the pic came out fuzzy. I think the camera man got skittish :lol3 Action photography is not as easy as Blaine makes it look

[​IMG]

I like it. The 16 gauge is a little bit overkill. I'd like to weigh 18 or 20 gauge to see what the weight savings would be using those but I'm not worried about it enough. If I wanted to save weight offroad I could drop 30 pounds by removing my boxes. It'd take less than 3 minutes and I still don't bother to do it. I'm happy with the guard the way it is. Jenna certainly seems happy with hers!

[​IMG]
  16. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    bahahaha. I guess we need to hang out for another wheelie session to update your wheelie pics!
  17. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    great job. Its BEefy :D
  18. datchew

Oddometer:
    If you keep beefing this thing up and making it green, you'll have to call it the hulk.
  19. bgoodsoil

Oddometer:
    What about YOUR wheelie pics? We need pictures of you launching that Bultaco! I haven't seen anything on your thread in almost a month. Back to work!

I think I'm going to paint it a dark blue. The green makes it look too much like a piece of WWII memorabilia. Which wouldn't be bad except it's a German bike and I don't want to be on that side of the war :nono
  20. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Engines in the frame and all hooked up. Almost got to the cranking point last night :)
    Just need to time it properly before the first crank and I should be good to wheelie all over the place this week if I don't get too busy!
    :freaky