Anybody interested in a CR/F front end conversion for XR650R's

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by jesusgatos, Aug 14, 2007.

1. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    I'd be all over these like stink on fart depending on price.
  2. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I spent a lot of time designing and modeling these.
    They're probably going to be a little bit more expensive than BRP's regular tripleclamp-sets, just because the machining is a little more intricate, but that should give you some idea on price.
  3. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    By the way, can a mod please move this to the vendors' forum now?
  4. B.Curvin

Oddometer:
    Haysuess,

Somewhere you asked about headlights. Regardless of the fork set up, I'll

be running an SV650 headlight with universal fork mounts. Will that work?

Also, I run motard wheels sometimes, and I ride a lot of tight eastern stuff.

Will the offset work for me?
  5. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had asked who might want to run the stock 650 headlight (guessing nobody) and who might want to run a CRF headlight (looks good, but it's still only a 35W headlight). I just need to know whether to add bosses to the lower tripleclamps for those mounts. I'm not familiar with your light setup, but if they mount to the stock fork tubes, they should mount to the CRF forks tubes just as easily. The spread is a little bit wider, but not enough that I imagine it would cause any fitment problems. With 26mm offset at the tripleclamps, the combined offset (between the tripleclamps and the axle) is still about 2.5mm tighter than the stock forks. I can't say how it will handle, or how it might work for you though, because I haven't even got to test a set myself yet.
  6. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    Done.
  7. B.Curvin

Oddometer:
  8. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear
  9. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no word from BRP yet...
  10. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    It's been a long time and I don't even own an XR650R anymore, but several people have inquired about these tripleclamps recently and we just launched GatosBros, so figured we might as well make these available. At least a small batch. Should know more about pricing later this week, but please post-up if you're interested so I have some idea how many sets we should make.

Spent the last couple days tuning-up these old CAD files, making some small revisions and improvements. Incorporated the handlebar perch mounts that we developed for our KTM stabilizer mounts (patents pending). With this system, the handlebar perch height is adjustable (using different spacers and topscaps), and the way it's set-up now, there are four different positions that the handlebars can be mounted in: 1) -3mm, 2) +3mm, 3) +12mm, 4) +18mm. Although if you want to run an underbar-mounted steering stabilizer, you're pretty much limited to positions 3 and 4, but if you want to run the bars closer than that, you probably shouldn't be running a stabilizer under the bars anyway (too tall). Also streamlined the tripleclamps around the pinchbolts, made some revisions to the webbing and relief cuts on the underside of the tripleclamps, and a few other small cosmetic enhancements.

• 26mm offset (vs. stock 24mm offset) in order to compensate for the reduced offset at the axle
    • geometry optimized for Scotts steering stabilizer AND forward-mount frame clamp
    • full range of steering (80 degrees - same as stock) & steering stops in stock location
    • handlebar position (height & offset) adjustable
    • designed to use KTM handlebar perches (any, including rubber-mounted PDHS perches)
    • re-use stock XR650R steering stem & bearings (no modifications)
    • no fender clearance issues

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. rpmwfo

rpmwfo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent a PM. I'll take a set.
  12. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Make that two sets, love the work you guys are doing!

13. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Great stuff Jesse! Wish I had your Solidworks modeling skills. :bow
  14. babuja

babuja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I´m interested 2 (looking for this mod for some time), depending on price of course.

At this moment i'm using adapted CRF triple clamp and can´t find a way to apply scoot damper ot other damper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    I was using stock CRF tripleclamps on my 650R for a while too, and I ended up using a Scotts low-mount setup. Worked alright, but affected light/fairing options. With those tripleclamps, you're pretty much limited to using a dipstick-mounted stabilizer post (sucks). Or you could get a CR500 upper tripleclamp and use that with a forward-mounted frame clamp, but it will still limit the steering a bit. Not trying to talk you out of anything, and we'd love to sell you a set of tripleclamps, just sharing info so you can make an informed decision.
  16. babuja

babuja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is near the solution you're talking about?

[​IMG]

I would like to keep my temperature oil dipstick (information)...if no other option I would consider to remove it and install some other temperature oil info like Vapor...but the best solution (not sure) would be something like this for CRF Showa forks.

[​IMG]

Limit in what way? Could you explain it?

Tnks man, I appreciate all the info.

With GatosBros triple clamp I would install Scotts damper low-mount setup and using a dipstick-mounted stabilize, correct?

[​IMG]
  17. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Yes, exactly. That's the option I chose.
    [​IMG]

Agree with you. Personally, would not consider a dipstick mount a viable option.

The CR/F upper tripleclamps make it flat-out impossible to use a Scotts forward-mount frame clamp/stabilizer post. CR500 upper tripleclamp sort of works, but it limits the steering.

No. Our tripleclamps are designed to use this forward-mount frame bracket. I designed the upper tripleclamp around it, and you can see the clearance at full-lock steering in these screen-captures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    The machinist we've been using is really jammed-up right now, so we're looking for other manufacturing options. Also just talked to Gary at Emig Racing and sent him a link to this thread to see if he might be willing to make these tripleclamps for us.
  19. babuja

babuja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect, very interested :lol3
  20. babuja

babuja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi jesusgatos, could you please confirm compability with Acerbis 24L tank?