Port Solitaire Seeks a Storm

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AteamNM, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    May I comment about Sterling Hayden?
  2. DC Chad

DC Chad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bloody hell Ateam:huh I wasn't expecting that:huh

It's often said women are like tornados when they come its wet and exciting and as they leave they take the house and the car with them:huh

Chin up mate you and JoJo can prep for some bigger adventures now:wink:
    Stay safe :1drink
  3. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:

Absolutely you may, please.
  4. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    Well I didn't want to stink up your thread without asking. :D

I read his book earlier this year, based on a comment someone here made about him.

I admired his pluck as a boy; shipping out in those days was in no way easy. By the end of the book I loathed him.

In spite of all his lofty talk about freedom and independence he turned out to be a total failure. Defied the courts, defrauded his creditors, kidnapped his children and hauled them off to Tahiti where he proceeded to abandon them and lay up drunk pretending to write. Became a communist but when the heat got to be too much he really didn't have the strength of his convictions and ratted out his comrades. I only finished the book because I kept waiting for him to have some epiphany and become the person he supposedly aspired to be.

Anyway, I know you're in a tough spot and it rubbed me wrong a little to see you (perhaps) using him as an example. Probably doesn't mean anything.

I enjoyed your report; you need to stop selling yourself short, you have a lot to offer.

Good luck!
  5. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    He loves to preach but as Charlie Daniels said, the preacher liked to do a little walking too. He makes a few good points, the quote though rings a hollow truth. Kind of like Ed Abbey, he was awesome but such a limousine liberal.

I call a spade a spade. I have nothing to offer. As my present day wife has reminded me more than once, the life insurance policy pays off for suicide. Nothing like being worth more dead than alive.

Thanks for the kind comments. My ride report was pathetic but at least real. I can't bear to read it again.
  6. FishTaco

FishTaco urban misfit

Oddometer:
    Well then, keep on living, and live well just to piss her off. That'll show her.

And keep smiling. It gets better.
  7. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    Hey Doug, thanks for the comment. The next month or two will be a test. Sell off a bunch of motorcycles and bicycles, put the house on the market and go find a nice bridge to live under :huh. We will give it a whirl.
  8. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    AteamNM...WOW had no idea what you went through man. Very sorry to hear about coming home to an empty house. Can't even imagine what that would be like.

At any rate I wish you the very best going forward and if you ever pass through Arkansas again please contact me. Thanks for stopping in on my route 66 ride report too.

All the best
    10Cup
  9. Polaris01

Polaris01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tony..
    Been there, had that done to me and you have to know that it gets much better.
    I've really enjoyed your report, you manned up and did the trip flat tires notwithstanding.
    Just like life, the journey is the adventure.
    I'm presuming that with your perseverance things will turn out for the best, as they have for me.
    Good on ya and all the best.:clap
  10. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    Take it slow and on your terms. You didn't leave.
  11. Polaris01

Polaris01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea and the best back-at-ya to a spouse that leaves is meeting and marrying a beautiful woman 10 years younger than your ex who really appreciates you and LOVES SEX A LOT :rilla
    Trust me it can happen, you have untold opportunities now.
    Take some time and spoil yourself.
    Buy a treat for Jo Jo :ricky
  12. onto1wheel

onto1wheel n00b

Oddometer:
    What you need now is a ROADTRIP, Tony!
    Come on out to the west coast, dinner's on me.
    (we can find some KLR adventures/mototrial adventures/Biketrial adventures to do while you're here)
  13. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    methinks you need to do a Baja trip......(just sayin')-----:lol3
  14. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    +1.
    If you get the urge to go north, there is a spare bed available at my place :)

Sent from my mobile
  15. BikerBobber

Oddometer:
    My wife and I split in Dec. While she didn't pack out while I was gone ( how cowardly) it was still a shock to find out how unhappy she was.
    I can tell you that things WILL get better. Everyone has much to offer and all are worth more alive than dead.
    Come to visit, come to ride, or come to recoup.
    Btw,I only have a spare bed..no bridge ;)

Sent from my mobile.
  16. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    Hey BikerBob.

I want to ride up the east coast into Labrador and Nova Scotia. I will make my way to your house even if you have no bridge. Thanks for the offer. This time next year I will be doing something different for sure. :ear
  17. BikerBobber

Oddometer:
    The east coast is a beauty ride. Nova Scotia is a good ride from my place...though i'm sure you've done longer..;)
    PM me when your setting it up and I'll meet ya:beer:
    Sent from my mobile.
  18. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    Just in case anyone is wondering. My wife and i have been "dating" or whatever you want to call it. Never say never. I have some hope but also I am a realist. Not sure what will happen? If I can obtain some sort of real employment, then things will improve me thinks. They put the flag in the hole on the putting green for a purpose, to give you fucking hope (Robin Williams).

So we shall see what happens in the new year. Put 2012 behind me, it was a crazy year. My Baja trip with Burq Magoo in February will change things and then there is the RAMAR ride that i may be able to do. There is a DR400 that I have my eye on. I have found a few killer bridges near major infrastructure in town. Plan your work and work your plan.
  19. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :thumb

What DRZ are you looking at?
  20. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    HMMM. Well, I have never seen it before. But there is this guy, who lost a friend recently and his friend left him a DR. His friend would want that DR to continue riding the great trails in the SW right? This guy needs an old trials bike to play on and see if he likes trials? So, an old Gas Gas with a bit of schwag thrown in, the Gas Gas rides on and the DR rides on? Plus I need this bike for the RAMAR 1000 this summer.......:ear The KLR would die and rattle apart and the XR250 is just a wimp for camping.