Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia Tag-O-Rama

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by RebRider, May 27, 2011.

1. RebRider

RebRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure West Virginia is ready for another Tag-O-Rama

Here are some rules (stolen from other Tags :D - NW VA tag and Valley Dual Sport tag) for the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia Tag-O-rama.

1. Tag boundary: the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia Tag-O-Rama is all of Berkeley, Jefferson, Morgan. Mineral and Hampshire counties.

Tag map (by Elroyjetsn) :clap : TAG MAP
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    2. Tag placement:<o:p></o:p>
    a. The tag can be on any type of road and road surface (i.e.: Highways, Byways, Forest service road) No interstates or "fee/pay" areas. <o:p></o:p>
    b. Tag should not be more than 50 feet off the road and must be on public property, (don&#8217;t need to have any one going to hospital to remove rock-salt from their arse):2guns.
    c. Should be placed on a prominent geologic feature or road intersection (historical markers, old building, bridges, waterfalls, etc). <o:p></o:p>
    d. If the tag is placed on a rough gravel or dirt road, mention it so someone on a street bike will have a heads up.<o:p></o:p>
    e. Tags can be placed close to other tags, but not for the very next tag. The tag should move at least 15 miles or more, remember it is about the ride!<o:p></o:p>
    f. Can re-tag same area after 6 months give a day or twoJ.<o:p></o:p>
    g. If you grab a tag you must place a new tag that day (and post it too) unless something happens that prevents you from placing it (mechanical problems, family emergency, too much chili for lunch, well maybe the last one not a good example).<o:p></o:p>
    h. Tags on or very close to Churches may not be grabbed on Sunday mornings before 12:30 pm (or during services i.e. parking lot full). It is disrespectful to the congregation for bikers to show up Sunday Morning, unless you go early and stay for church.:pope<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    3. Tag Photos<o:p></o:p>
    a. No file photos! You have to ride to play!:deal<o:p></o:p>
    b. Don't expect riders to recognize a single Oak tree because some woodpecker made a hole in it. Go for places that people will recognize. <o:p></o:p>
    c. Make your photographs count. If you pick a very recognizable landmark, it still won't help if you take it at 3:00 in the morning with no flash. Its okay to post 2 or 3 photographs if you think it is necessary for riders to recognize the location.<o:p></o:p>
    d. Your bike and Mascot (Lucky Duck) must be in at least one of the photographs. <o:p></o:p>
    e. Indicate the location of the Mascot in at least one photograph (or a good description).

4. Game play<o:p></o:p>
    a. If you are new to tagging, check out other tags http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405166 or http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568965 <o:p></o:p>
    b. If someone PM's (private message) you for more clues and you decide to give them more they should also be posted in the thread to keep the game fair.<o:p></o:p>
    c. Chatting about the game and other semi related topics is encouraged, it adds to the fun of the game.<o:p></o:p>
    d. Reasonable Effort: there are occasions when tag mascot is gone. If you go to the location, search for an honest 20 minutes for the mascot, and can't find it, we'll give you the point. It's not worth spending hours searching for the mascot which may have already been grabbed or stolen by a local/wild animal and in West Virginny may be one in the same. Do make every effort to find it, and if you have the correct tag shot, and it is confirmed that you did not get &#8220;BRUCED&#8221;, you will get credit (assuming, of course, you also post a new tag). <o:p></o:p>
  2. RebRider

Oddometer:
    The 1st Tag - It was here during the Revolution that James Morgan, the grandson of Col. Morgan Morgan was shot and killed by a group of Tories. Since then, this area has been known as Torytown.

[​IMG]

Mascot - "Lucky Duck"
    [​IMG]

hiding place is at base of tree. near the little white building but on this side of the fence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hiding place with a prize...!!!!!:evil

[​IMG]

hiden by some leaves.

[​IMG]

Have a safe Memorial Day... and remember the Veterans who paid the ultimate price for our Freedom.
  3. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Reb!!!:clap

:D:D:DThere's a gazillion cool places to tag around here!
  4. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    The Grab:

Morgan Cabin on Runnymede Rd. Berkeley County.

Home of Morgan Morgan, not far from Morgan County and it's only right that a Morgan should pay it a visit. My mom is a Morgan and it's my middle name.:roflI'm glad that she decided to give me a different first name.:lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucky Duck moves on... Strappin good treat, thanks Reb!
    [​IMG]
  5. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    TAG:

[​IMG]

Not all fire stations in the panhandle have the latest equipment. Not far from a circle and a dramatic place. Near where 2 towns are joined at the hip, but only one was named after a president's brother. The other could be part of a mispelled hostage cituation.

[​IMG]

Lucky Duck resides at the left base of this marquee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. RebRider

Oddometer:
    Glad to see the 1st tag get grabbed on such a busy and hot weekend for everyone. Â…. Nice tag and bike too Elroy :D.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Hope everyone enjoys the Memorial Day Weekend.

7. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

Was able to get going at the crack of dawn. Still nice and cool... and very little traffic.:D

BTW, At the cabin I was greeted by a super friendly english pointer that kept jumping up and licking my IPhone while I took the pix. :eek1

The farmer across the street finally called him off before lucky duck became a chew toy!:lol3
  8. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

9. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  10. twohawks

twohawks Not Afraid

Oddometer:
    Uh Oh....
  11. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    New kinda money shot, huh??:lol3
  12. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    Just so's ya'll appreciate the suriousness of this duck napping, 'n so's ya'll don't think this some kinda hoax, let me reveal where I grabbed him......

He was here:

[​IMG]

The Independent Fire Company, 200 West Second Ave, Ranson, WV.

[​IMG]

There was this SUV thing sittin' right where the yeller bike Elroy was ridin' got it's picture took. I'da parked there too, but Ray Charles could see that spot was taken, and the curb is red behind it, and there was this 'ol cop watchin' me, and well, me and cops and tag don't mix. Didn't need no cops whilst pullin' off a duck napping. I have some experience with law enforcement and tag-o-rama that almost went to orifice probing.

I did kinda like the restored fire engine Idella #169.

[​IMG]

And yer duck got 'napped whiles I was on a bike. I weren't drivin' around in the Chrysler Cordoba [with the rich Corinthian leather] grabbing tag mascots.

[​IMG]

The original Idella, No. 169, was built in 1872 by L. Button & Sons in Waterford, New York. Its first owner remains unknown, but the fire engine was purchased in August, 1885 by the Independent Fire Company of Charles Town, West Virginia. Until that time Charles Town relied on man-power to pump its water from the few hydrants in the town. The purchase of the Idella enabled the fire company to draw water from almost any available water supply. The Idella was horse drawn until 1914, when the fire company purchased a Republic, chain-drive, solid tire truck to pull the fire engine. The Idella fought fires until 1925, and in 1929 was placed in storage when the fire company replaced the Idella and its means of transportation with a new 750 GPM Mack fire truck.

[​IMG]

From the Journal Newspaper, September 16, 2009:

RANSON - Independent Fire Co. officials announced that "Idella the Steam Engine" will be officially returning to its home.

Idella was the first powered pumper of the fire company, and its history began before coming to Charles Town. The engine was manufactured in 1872 by the Button Steam Engine Co. of Waterford, N.Y., and identified as Idella, No. 169. Although not verified, it is believed that the engine first served a small town in New York. The Independent Fire Co. purchased the re-manufactured Idella in 1885. It served the community for years and has been preserved as part of the community's heritage.

Idella spent the last year at Firefly Restorations in Hope, Maine, being restored to its near original beauty by Andy Swift. Swift is recognized as the master of fire apparatus restoration in the country.

This week the Citizens and Independent fire companies are observing their 125th anniversaries. In conjunction with Charles Town Heritage Festival, both companies will have their equipment on display in the block beside the Jefferson County Courthouse.

In recognition of the return of Idella, a beautifully matched pulling team of horses will be pulling Idella from the current Independent Fire Co. in Ranson to its old home in Charles Town at approximately 9:15 a.m.

[​IMG]

....and speaking of the "return" of things. Let's be stepping up to the plate and getting this duck ransom worked out, M'kay? I ain't feedin' this eight ball. You know he can't swim?

[​IMG]
  13. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    Looks lake he trad t' make a run fer it! Musta seen all thaim cats follerin!

Yer not tryin t' daable inta ma hi fananc's, r ya?

How's a bag a pistachito's sound?
  14. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    I am sadly disappointed. I thought ya'll'd have a little more empathy for a brother with a bit of a tag affliction. I set up and carried through this elaborate scheme, and whadda I get offered in return?

Peanuts.

Well. Pistachios. Elroy's attempt at diplomacy is noted, but I'm holding out till sunset for a better offer. You just think what all could happen to that duck while you wait. I am.
  15. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    Just to prove ......I've got the goods, Guiddo!!!:ear:wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    Hmmmph. Would them be salted peanuts?
  17. RebRider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]How about 4 straps...

18. twohawks

twohawks Not Afraid

Oddometer:
    VaT. I won meself a pair of them thar straps. WAY better than peanuts...

Then again...thats a LOT of peanuts!
  19. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    They be unmarked, but if you don't want'm....do need somthin to open up my paniers that got flattened over the winter.:wink:
  20. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    The sun is going over the edge, and this be the best deal so far. Deal. So's long as this don't involve one end of the strap being around my neck, the other end around a tree branch......