2011 - 50 DIRT passes in 50 hours

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by GSL, Aug 20, 2010.

1. OUtback UFO

OUtback UFO GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer:

Remember... as GSL and Estban stated... this is an extreme ride... not to try and dismay your excitment on doing the ride... this is really a solo ride and you need to be prepaired to self-resuce and all that. Espeically with 2011 route. Also if anyone you bring needs to be a top/expert dirt rider on their cycles... this is not an intermediate or advance ride, and that you will be going up and down in elevation alot each day which can ad to altitudes effect if you life in lower areas of AZ...

I would say bring the WR you will enjoy it not fight it or get stuck.... plus a good GPS.

GSL will figure out the hotel camping thing next summer... he's good about those things.
  2. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I'm packing a Shamwow as a sleeping bag, a zip lock baggie as a tent, and catching some ZZZZZzzzzzzssss at gas stops while my tank is being refueled.

Seriously, I'm planning for the Ironbutt Hotel on this ride. When I feel like I need to sleep, I'm pulling over and curling up next to the front wheel, with my Screamin Meanie going off 1.5 hours later. That's about the only spare time this ride will have.

I encourage everyone to back out or bail.... :evil

Also, research Ironbutt riding techniques. :wink:
  3. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I never committed, because I'd sure as HELL back out after that post...

Let me know when you are leading a fun run! :lol3
  4. Tellydoug

Tellydoug Troubador of joy

Oddometer:

NOW we're talking!!!!! New SG 12's, no whammies. Sleeping is for sissies! Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead. Barbeque some snakes and road kill when you're hungry. Wrap burritos in foil and cook on your muffler. Yeah!
  5. OUtback UFO

Oddometer:

I am really wishing i had the $$$ for a beater 650 or450 plated dirt bike... or at least someone gullable enought to let me borrow their bike for a weekend...:deal :lol3

Though you know GSL the real way to get some sleep while riding is to close one eye for an hour to sleep in that side of the brain and then switch... better when riding on rough stuff since it will Rock you to sleep..
  6. OUtback UFO

Oddometer:

I have been thinking.... If any of you that have the "big" bikes... the 990, 1150, 1200s and such want to do a 5050 ride that is more geared to the larger bikes... i have a route that still includes some of the more fun dirt passes... it starts in Glenwood Springs and ends in Gunnision with camp or hotel stays in either Fairplay or BV depending on how far you make it on the first day. It is more miles thought... around 1250.. about 650-700 the first day. There is also a bit of opt out passes with make up passes on the way. about 25-30 dirt and the rest paved.

Let me know if you all on the big bikes are in favor... a small group maybe 5-7 would be good... still it is a very tough ride even with the paved section making it easier and you would technically be on your own.

i did 26 passes with a reroute home due to a tire problem last month... did 720 miles in 18 hrs. with a total of 42 unique passes 45 toatl passes in 40 hrs... ran in to a closed road on LosPinos pass that caused a lot of issues..
  7. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi UFO,

I would be interested in this! When are you thinking? Maybe you can schedule it for the week before or after GSL's ride so we can do both! That might be writing a check that my behind can't cash??

Sounds like big fun!

Thanks for thinking this up!

Take care Brother, Eric.
  8. OUtback UFO

Oddometer:
    I can look and see though it is really far out to have it around those dates... The start point would be in Glenwood Springs with a Finish in Gunnison area... or maybe finish in Lake City. if you are doing both then you will want to bring two bikes... the route i have figured out based somewhat off GSL's is a lot more miles. More comfortable on a larger dog.

I was planning on doing at least one go next August regaurdless
  9. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello UFO,

Any word yet on the dates? I would like to do the "Slaughterhouse" Ride on July 9th.

Thank you. Be Blessed Brother, Eric.
  10. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    In.

Sucks they paved Kebler :huh
  11. Tellydoug

Tellydoug Troubador of joy

Oddometer:
    Hey Big-E, I don't think you would have trouble with any of the technical aspects of these passes. Sleep is the issue, and wanting to hit it after the first day's worth of riding. Just bring an extra backpack filled with BACON and you'll be fine. I might want to do a couple of these rides, if you wanted to do a hybrid. Or I'd like to do the whole thing we had for last year, and the new route as well, maybe a couple of weeks apart. I am doing RMAR and want to do Wetfest later on, so as long as it didn't conflict with those. You should talk Johnny-5, Cathy, and Skip to come up for this. I think Megan would love it.
  12. OUtback UFO

Oddometer:

I was thinking near to the time GSL and others head out for 50dirt50... it would have to be late july early august to make sure the snow is off some of the higher dirt passes like haggerman and Engineer if i put it on the list... i am thinking about it starting just near my house in Glenwood Springs and ending in Crested Butte up on Paradise Divide/Scholfield passes..

will keep you informed more as we get closer to June.
  13. grub

grub Requires Supervision

Oddometer:
    I am a definite maybe for at least the first 16 (through Carnero). Don't worry Will, you don't have to wait for me, consider me the sweep :rofl
  14. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:

I'm a good sweeper as well. A ride like this will need some heavy sweeping... :lol3
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I think this is more of an "on your own" than a "sweeper" type event :freaky
  16. wind_man

wind_man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in, can we nail down a date so I can actually make it this year? This is going to be epic....:D
  17. GS Dave

GS Dave Chicken Farmer

Oddometer:
    OUT! (unless I find a mini GS somewhere)
  18. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  19. OUtback UFO

Oddometer:
    you would be fine... you did last summer with road tires on... put some knobbies on and you'll go over everything.. :evil:lol3
  20. entities

entities n00b

Oddometer:
    So would this be silly to do on a KDX 220? I'm relatively new to dirt riding, just picked up the smoker last fall, have only done some CO Springs area 4x4 trails and some practice on motocross tracks. Plenty of long distance touring experience with my ol FZ1 years ago. Also an ex-roadracer who's missing the rush/fear/misery of racing, this sounds like it would check all those boxes... ;)
    Maybe I'll have to try out some of the more difficult passes in the CO Springs area to see if I'm up to snuff...

-Chad