The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's a Tax thing.
    When a bike is delivered with more than 100 ponies we have to pay extra taxes. So there is an option to get the bike delivered with 99 ponies (99% of the sold bikes come in this way)

after 1000km the bike will be, free of charge, "udated" to it's full potential at the bmw dealer :D
  2. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    That totally makes sense, extra taxes I mean, Europe needs extra taxes.
    When you're at it, I'd go for the "Enhanced KTM-Power" software update package, nothing less than 150 ponies please :D
  3. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

Levell headed, simple, and a very wise man.

Thanks for your comments, it's nice to see once in a while some one to say something that hits a home run. I hope all the bickering will stop, and let people buy what the want. Those who ave put a deposit are waiting in anxiety to get their bike. Lets not rain on their parade. I would merely suggest those who have concern(s), take it with your dealer even before buying.
  4. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stop feeding the troll.:deal
  5. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    OK the above needs to be quoted repeatedly.

The LED headlight, if I ever move to the new model, I am not letting this get away. :) I love innovative things.
    The fan is not to keep things cool. The construction is kept cool by... erm... hitting the air coming from the front.
    The fan is for using the heat to fight the condensation. Pretty smart actually.

The multi-wheel. I really have questions about it. While initially it shows that is only usable by the optional GPS, some videos SEEM to to show that you also control things in the main display (easier than the normal control button). Someone needs to make the wheel use clear to us.

Well I don't think 3 of 20 (yet), had pointed out this head-shake during their respective launches eh?

All bike can have the effect, but how easy it happens is a matter of many factors, many of which are of the bike (geometry, weight of the front system, tires etc.).

Anyway. We should wait for more data, there is no point discussing this further without more data (and more of the reviews... because from 20+ people there, we only got a fraction).

OK... Yikes! Felt much better when I read the last sentence though. ;)

EDIT: I updated my tire post. Might be useful to some: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20642022&postcount=4798
  6. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D

Correction. Reduced power means 76KW, equivalent to 103hp (european measurement).
    And you have to wait 1000KM to get full power?

Looks quite like mine. Thunder grey, Dynamic package 2, comfort package, Cruise control, cross spoke wheels, reduced suspension hight, chromed exhaused, ...

Well, I just got all options. Cases and tankbag from BMW, rest from Touratech (protection bars, underplate, fog lights) ...

Also about 6 weeks wait till I get mine... Can't wait.
  7. NLS

Oddometer:
    So what? While running in the engine you don't use all this power anyway. Not even half.

That said, I did the 1000KM service of my 2007, 3 days after purchase (yes with 1000KM on the odometer). :evil :D
  8. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Working on that right now actually. Opted for passive liquid cooling. Those L.E.D's get pretty warm. They really shouldn't need much to keep to de-fog. I bet the fan is actually for cooling while sitting in traffic on 40C days not moving.

It just sounds clever the other way. It probably helps for both.
  9. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap it must be a very exciting time for you guys who have them on order
  10. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will probably almost never use full power. But it is nice to have.
    And in my case the dealer said it would be full power at delivery. Probably cause they got more time to prepare the bike in advance than for the 1000km service. In my case that should be after about one week.
  11. NLS

Oddometer:
    In any case let me make it clear: I envy you and have many interesting adjectives for you. :rofl
  12. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    My new WC R1200GS will come with everything including the new BMW Vario cases, and I will be using full power on a regular basis. :clap :freaky :D
  13. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my case that would mean I drive to work at 200kph +

I mainly use my motorcycle for work. :huh

But I am planning to take a one or two week old bike to the 'international' GS meet in the Netherlands. But no offroad yet.

For Belgium I've heard (but have not yet had confirmation) that no bikes will be deliverd prior to t March 23th, due to the belgian launch on the 23th. I hope it isn't true.
  14. Rauven

Rauven I like the cold...

Oddometer:
    Power is reduced in the break in period or are you guys talking about choking down the power due to some laws/taxes?
  15. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, back with another tedious post. :rolleyes I can barely believe the level of resistance to merely discussing this question of the lurking tankslapper. Nobody here even owns one of these things, and almost nobody has ridden one. Why defend it?

I could understand if a couple of incognito BMW salesmen wanted to hose down the panic, and it is an open forum so why not. For everyone else though, why would it not be a good conversation?

For the record, I am not on a crusade against the new GS. No way. It is a very interesting bike. Dynamically, it will be the best GS yet. I like little things like the full analogue dials, and big things such as the electronic cruise control. It is a class effort.

[​IMG]

While I remain besotted with my Duc, what I need is a two-up sport/adventure tourer that can handle big miles. The new GS is a very obvious candidate, and perhaps the front-runner.

All information is good, IMO.

So on the headshake question, I am interested only in getting a clear picture of what has been reported and how significant it might be.

[​IMG]

The suggestion that five years of testing must have ironed out every possible flaw is just silly, IMO. For reasons others have given already.

But let us grant this, and assume that the bike is flawless. What then?

We can conclude only that the two major incidents (Bike and motorcycle.com) and two minor manifestations (canadamotoguide and motociclismo) were the journos' fault.

Don't know about you, but I don't find that comforting. :lol3

OTOH, it is not like the sky is falling. The bike will still be good. It might need a steering damper. It might need a remap of the dynamic suspension. It might just need a bit of awareness and preparedness, or to be kept out of the firmest Enduro Pro baseline option over washboard.

Or it might need none of these things. :deal We may have more of an idea when ShawnWorks posts in ride reports.

Either way, I don't see how any humans or animals are harmed by talking about it. (Except for BMW salesmen and, of course, their starving families. :cry)
  16. NLS

Oddometer:
    Hahaha not a bad post.

Yet, we don't have ANYTHING to discuss further about the alleged issue (which I think I brought first to more attention here) or ANYTHING else about the new GS.

So just saying the same all over or trying to generate (or give birth to) more info where we have none, is kind of... (well put the appropriate word yourselves).

We are waiting:

- For Shawn (later today I think).
    - For more on-line or paper reviews from people that were down there.
    - (ok I sneak this in) For a scan of MCN's already out review for us that cannot really buy it.
    - Possible official news about Kevin. (doesn't mean it is related)
    - Possible reaction of BMW about the allged issue.
  17. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Power is reduced because of higher taxes otherwise.

You can have the kw (76 it is, written somewhere here), 'set to normal' the moment you get the bike with zero kms, but most of the time these map-resettings require the removal of the gas tank etc.. and that's why most of the guys have it done with the first 1000km service.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I would think the diagnostic plug/interface would be accessable as it is on most bikes, under the seat with easy access. :dunno

Jim :brow
  19. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then it makes sence my dealer resets it before first use, to keep the first service shorter. March and april is a really busy time, specially with all the new deliveries.
  20. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sad but very true. All of the first deliveries will be entering Belgium on the 18-19th of march. Then there's the customs paperwork, and at the 23rd there will be the national bmw open house weekend. No LC will be allowed for pre-delivery before the 23rd.
    The local dealer sold 18 LC's and delivery for most buyers is planned on Sunday morning the 24th, or later in the next week for some non-stoked lunatics :D