TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. kenhaw

kenhaw 2006 Adventure S EU

Oddometer:
    Took the bike apart today to remove the pc 3usb.
    While I was at it, I removed the airfilter and saw that my sec throttleblades are not there:clap
    Sas has been removed too, so the previous owner did a lot of things, wonder if he messed with the mapping too? Time will tell. Still waiting for my cable
    Kenneth
  2. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    No, I'm not that tech savy. I just used the stock akro map
    and tried to get the balance and TPS correct.
    Which seems to work well, the bike is headed South for the Winter.
    Riding to Tierra Del Fuego.

Max
  3. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    You'll know what tune is installed when you hook it up to TuneEcu.
    Might want to reinstall the 2nd butterflies and start from a known base.

Max
  4. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right....funny guy. :D

Safe travels... i bet your getting to know your way around down there on the otherside of the equator.... have fun and don't forget to twist it!

Scott
  5. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the note, but please understand that I am computer illiterate.:D

After loading the drivers and setting things in motion for my 08 990 adv, I read the stock map, saved to my c drive successfully. Here is where I got freaked out...I was watching the Akra map load and right about 96% complete, the headlight turned on and the fuel pump reset? or turned on. I disconnected the cable and then tried to fire up the bike to finish off the loaded map with the 15 minute idle trick.

The bike would not turn over almost sounding like it was a bad battery? Incidentally, I keep the bike on a trickle charge at all times and kept the battery charger on during this session.

Did I mess something up with the map download??

Any help would be appreciated since I sure would like to ride this weekend.

Thank
  6. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Oh man :eek1 I've never had of that happening.

When downloading a new map I see 100%. I don't remember the ECU resetting. Did you select disconnect from the TuneECU menu before disconnecting the cables and turning off the ignition?

Other than asking the experts here for advice I'd

1) Check my battery to insure it's in good condition and fully changed. How old is it?
    2) If battery is good; Pull the fuse on the headlight.
    3) Connect TuneECU to the bike
    4) Read the map to see what was installed.
    5) If map is the one you want then disconnect TuneECU.
    6) Turn off ignition
    7) Wait for a few seconds and try to restart.

However, it sounds like your battery may have a problem if it doesn't turn the bike over normally.
  7. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Any error codes thrown up ?
  8. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Got my cable today from :clap DSW After backing up my current (stock ) setup, I plan on replacing it with a newer R map. Any advice out there for this switch? 2011 2012 ???

2010 990 ADV with stock cans.
  9. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

No error codes after I downloaded the map. I ended up letting the bike charge all night and it fired up this AM. Ran the 15 minute idle trick and then took for it's first ride with the Akro map. All I can say is that I am amazed that I rode by bike for so long with the stock map. YES I AM AN IDIOT!!:D

The snatchy throttle has been almost eliminated compared to previous map. Definitley a rich mixture that I can smell in the exhaust...no more popping on decel. The 4K RPM rollon has been dramatically improved..no more stumbling. At small throttle openings (2k rpm) there is now a small hesitation, unless you accelerate hard and then you blow through it.

One new thing I noticed after my 65 mile inaugural ride...the bike stalled twice when decelerating (slowing to a stop light)...almost like the rpm's fell off to nil?

I defintiely have to ride the bike differntly with the new map. Overall I am happy it went OK. Next step fine tuning the low rpm hesitation. Any ideas? Throttle Bodies needing synched?

Thanks for the help.
  10. Sirwrexalot

Sirwrexalot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just another new guy with a cable BUT Shootis sent me his file which seems to be a hybrid of sorts between the 2011 and the 2007 Stock maps with the butterflies set at no less than 25 and HOLEEE SHEEIT !!!! I love my new bike ...

The new map made my KTM seems like a different machine.. Smoooth., Not as twitchy. My wife even noticed the difference..

Doesnt seem as fast but like I said I would be glad to give up a few ponies for smooth and this is pretty dang nice.

I was at the point of possibly selling the KTM because I really didnt like the way it rode. but NOT NOW. this is how they should all run in my opinion. I only put about 60 miles on it but so far so good.

Thanks to James and everyone else that has been kind enough to share a map and inspire a newbie like me to dig a little deeper to make the 990 even better, :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  11. Blackhole

Blackhole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My lead arrived the other day and I connected up my 2010 R (with Leo Vince cans) for the 1st time. In the test section, I noticed the manifold air pressure differs between cylinder 1 and 2. When the engine is running cylinder1 reads 339hPa compared to 398hPa for cylinder2. (when ignition on/engine not running cylinder 1 reads 1004hpa while cylinder 2 reads 1015hPa). Is this normal????? (there is a noticable difference in pressure when you hold your hand up to the end of each exhaust)

The TPS reads 0.65v at 0% throttle and 3.74 at 100% throttle.
  12. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I loaded the 2011 R map on my 2010 without problems. It smoothed out the 990 a bit and opened the secondaries at full throttle which help the top end.
  13. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I haven't paid a lot of attention to this thread, but doing a little skimming has me thinking. I'm pretty happy with the EFI on my 990R and really interested in EFI for my Super Enduro. Does anyone know if there is enough tuning flexibility to put a 990 EFI system on a 950 engine? It looks like most of the necessary parts would transfer over from any 990, but the wiring harness could be tricky. The closest I have found so far is the 990 SMT/SMR harness that puts the fuses under the seat. I found there is a difference between the early ECUs and later ECUs too. I saw some mention of faster adjustments on the newer units. Is that a difference that could be worked out with the TuneECU software, or is it hard coded? Has anyone done a 990 EFI swap onto a 950 engine?
  14. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    How is this map performing milliagewise?
    Is it released freely? can I have a copy?
    Thnx for sharing.
  15. Loui€

Loui€ Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer:
    many times in this thread, typical values - typical symptoms/problems - so once again:

1. sync TB:s to same values (or as near as possible) with each other while engine running

2. adjust TPS exactly (or as near as possible) to 0.60V at 0% throttle, warm engine, engine running

L
  16. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    Add on: when somebody wants to sync their throtte bodies with tuneecu (map sensor reading). you always must swap the map sensors. because there is a possibillity of a offset between those sensors. And those need to be rulled out for a accurate setting
  17. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Swap!? as in connect the fronto to the rear and vice versa?
  18. big-t

big-t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it really necessary to swap them?It would seem you could look at them with the Tuneecu software,engine OFF,switch on and compare the values.Should be no difference in atmospheric pressure with the engine off..?
  19. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    Cable resistance can lower the map sensor output voltage of course and not all the sensors are 100% the same.
    but you have to do it only once to see the difference, note this somewhere and then you know the offset for another time.
  20. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Didnt you discover a biggish difference (many pages ago)? Remind us of what you found please.

Again...somebody willing to put in the time to consolidate and abridge some of this huge thread would gain instant hero status!