Motorcycle-friendly hotels, inns? Please post your favorites!

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by rdwalker, May 11, 2012.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Done
  2. levain

Oddometer:
  3. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please contribute your finds.

To remind you, we are looking for:
    - no campsites; that is a separate topic, well covered on ADVrider.
    - decent quality (please, no places where you'd be afraid to walk barefoot on the floor - BTDT): from mid-range up to upscale.
    - restaurant/bar on site or within walking distance. Once I have my gear off, I don't want to suit up for dinner. Plus, I like my alcohol in the evening: no riding afterwards.
    - nice atmosphere a plus. It would be nice if other motorcyclists frequented the place - but, not hardcore one-percenters / wannabees. There are a few "biker-taverns" where I live and, boy, I do find them really scary.
    - secure parking for motorcycles (backyard, shed, etc).

Just reply in this thread and I'll update listings in the original post.

Levain is maintaining a map of the locations.

The list is growing in size, thankfully, and I will re-sort it - either alphabetically or by region, not sure yet what's most convenient.
  4. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    The Gables Inn, Stowe, VT -- the owners, Randy and Annette, are avid motorcyclists themselves and are very welcoming of motorcycle guests. They're also open to anyone for breakfast, and they do it very, very well!
    http://www.gablesinn.com/

By the way, a suggestion: organize the initial post by state, then alphabetically by town. That will make it much easier to find info for people planning a trip.

--mark
  5. levain

Oddometer:
    Done!

Sounds like a great place Mark. Might have to stay there next winter with the family for some snowboarding:wink:
  6. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    The Border Motel
    3004 North Main Street (US Route 5), Derby, VT 05829

http://www.thebordermotel.com/

Under new ownership and things have improved significantly. Rates still very reasonable. Not sure if the bar is or will be back.

dinner at the Landing...err East Side I think it is now, is fairly close in Newport City, and worth the trip.

If you sled, it is right on the VAST trail system and a quick hop into Canada.
  7. levain

Oddometer:
    Yep That's waaaay up there. Bring your passport. It's not a road trip unless you show your passport:lol3
  8. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stayed at Birch Bend in Gorham last evening. Great folks! They were shut down for the week after a big event on the weekend, but Bec made a room up for me and welcomed me in! Great price, top notch folks, even a garage (that I unfortunately had to use a bit this morning). Not the Ritz, but clean and operated by real riders! Bec's husband's VFR was in the garage looking good!
    Thanks for the reference se7en!
  9. rdwalker

Oddometer:
    Done & done.
  10. rdwalker

Oddometer:
    Weird. Stopped at Steinhof's in Wilmington NY on Aug 25th. I am not sure if I can write this here, but: my bed there was completely overrun by bedbugs. I just finished healing.
    I did put a warning note in the O.P. listing.

Any other suggestions for places to stay, guys & gals?
  11. levain

Oddometer:
    That's a bummer. I stayed there last week for 3 nights. Room was ok. Fine. Rustic. Cleanish, but I wasn't in it much and the place has a weird feel. I suppose its up to the OP whether we remove these types of places? Or, maybe, we don't recommend unless we actually had stayed there? Still, I had no bed bugs so probably would've recommended with reservation!
  12. levain

Oddometer:
    Friends stayed just up the road at The North Pole Inn in Wilmington at the same time I was at Steinhofs. Rooms were clean. Modern. There is a decent liquor store next door. Bike parking right in front of rooms and a nice sitting area as well. I'd stay there next time.
  13. rdwalker

Oddometer:
    I found another great place! Stayed there this past weekend. It is the Melody Lodge, just north outside of Speculator NY - in central Adirondacks. Good location for riding!
    It is not moto-specific, but otherwise has all I usually look for: great restaurant and a separate pub/bar. It is up a long driveway, so that the parked bike is not visible from street. Strong Wi-Fi. Very clean (needless to say, first thing I did was to check the bed for uninvited guests).
    Restaurant is very busy - full of locals - while all other places in town were dead. This tells something.
    There are only a few rooms: reservations are highly advised. No breakfast, but some yoghurt, juice and pastries are set out for the morning; coffee maker is in the room.
    Warning: place is closed Monday and Tuesday.

On my current favorite list.
  14. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    http://www.thompsonhouse.com/
    Stayed there last Thursday night, really clean & nice place. The owners let us put my 2 bikes underneath the place under lock & key for the night! VERY nice people, I got to talk to the 5th generation (and saw the 4th pull in in his little pick-up) boss for a while and find out some history of the place. Very cool.
    I'd stay again in a heart-beat.

Chris
  15. rdwalker

Oddometer:
    Good find.
    Off-topic: one of these days I've got to meet you in person, neighbor, and talk into conducting an easy off-road ride for riders like me, who barely know how to go off pavement. :D
  16. levain

Oddometer:
    Melody Lodge & Thompson House added to the Map:clap
  17. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    Both in the White Mountain National Forest and run by the AMC:

Joe Dodge Lodge in Pinkham Notch. I've done MANY ride-n-hike trips in the Presis from here, the desk staff are quite friendly and have been willing to store my gear in an area not accessible to the general public while I'm on the trail. The rooms sleep four in bunkbeds, private rooms are available for a bit more $. Dorm style bathrooms and showers. No beer or wine for sale, but they do allow BYOB. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available on site - the kitchen does a breakfast buffet, lunches to order and family-style dinner. I've yet to have a meal that isn't excellent.

Highland Center at the top of Crawford Notch. Very similar to Joe Dodge, but much newer. They do serve alcohol in the dining room. A bit spendier, but again well worth it.

These places are hiker-oriented, but still quite moto friendly. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions from curious guests, think of it as an opportunity to build some goodwill among the non-moto public.
  18. levain

Oddometer:
    Done & done. Maybe, you can confirm that the location of the Highland Center is correct on the map?
  19. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    Yes, you've got the right location.
  20. SONG

SONG Been here awhile

Oddometer: