Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2015, 05:52 AM   #661
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
As far as the range, what Swimmer said.

Except I've never gone more than a little over 240 miles on my 2011 Versys tank, and not getting that at the moment. Swimmer, is yours a gen 3 (2015)?
It was a 2009.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #662
Edder B
Meister Poser

Oddometer: 372
About the 200 mile range and the commute. If you like the bike and how it rides then get it. There are things called gas stations.

"If you try to pass me you will die. I ride at the limit". Sigi Hoffman.

BMW F800GT
Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #663
ZONKR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
After buying my 2013 F800GT I kept watching for a windshield to replace the stock one and finally got a ZTechnik touring unit. It seemed to do a good job and I was happy with it until it fried my instrument cluster. The dealer has had three cases of this happening. It must be the design or the bend of the shield but it's like burning ants with a magnifying glass. It was like a death ray that zeroed in and melted the console. I put the stock shield back on and the last I heard the manufacturer hasn't admitted the problem but I have seen three of them. Buyer beware.
BMWMOA 116478
ZONKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #664
CAW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I was looking at buying an F800GT last year when I came across my 919. I finally got to ride one two days ago when I picked up tires for my 919. I rode it while they were mounting my tires. I really like the f800GT. Beautiful bike. I will be riding the 919 for a while, but when a well kept orange one comes up in three years, I will be there.
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #665
dogfm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Wicked mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
As far as the range, what Swimmer said.

Except I've never gone more than a little over 240 miles on my 2011 Versys tank, and not getting that at the moment. Swimmer, is yours a gen 3 (2015)? I expect 300 miles to be possible from that one.

My 2001 FZ1 can deliver better than 250 miles freeway commuting. YMMV of course. It's become my main commuter, and I'm thinking of replacing the Versys.

I need more than 200 miles range to do two commute days on the same tank. If both my long days occur on the same tank it's about 238 miles. Usually my needs are less.

Lots of bikes will go over 200 miles. What I'd really like is a bike that isn't a fat pig, for commuting/lane splitting duties--still lots of bikes meet my needs. And I'd like one that doesn't have chain drive--and that's where I lose most of them.

And I gotta enjoy riding it. I really wanted the F800GT to work--I enjoyed riding it. Disappointed in BMW for going with such a small fuel tank.

I still am curious though how much fuel tank volume people have actually used with or without running dry on these. Anybody get BMW's claimed 15l in without running dry?
Mileage will depend on how you use the throttle, if you're lookimng to enjoy the ride you'll get less plus how heavy you are- how much are you going to make that engine work? BMW figures or those of other riders are not going to be the same as yours.
dogfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #666
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfm View Post
BMW figures or those of other riders are not going to be the same as yours.
True, but they're a guideline. If nobody gets it to go as far as I want it to go that's a bad sign. Even the riders who get great fuel economy seem to fill it sooner, and I don't even know the real useable tank volume (only the specs which can be misleading).

On my F800GT demo ride I was going by the instantaneous MPG displayed while I was cruising on the freeway. From this discussion it sounds like real fuel economy tends to be better than displayed. But few riders seem to take these things as far as I need it to go for it to be a good tool for me.

I looked to see if there was a rental available locally. I see 8 other BMW models for rent, but not that one. Two days of commuting would give me a good idea. Though no guarantees, since individual bikes differ.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote