Sleeping Bags

Discussion in 'Australia' started by XRman, Nov 27, 2011.

1. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife is going to Nepal in April. She will be trekking up at 4000m and staying in unheated huts. Any suggestions about a suitable sleeping bag?
  2. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    XR man, I hate the cold and thecanoeguy has some fantastic sleeping bags that even keep me warm at a really good price.Maybe send him a P.M. ?
  3. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    There is no Australian std for measuring sleeping bag ratings (there is a European std but its not compulsary) so it is difficult to compare bags from different companies. The main points are that down is still warmer than synthetic and will compress more than synthetic. And down isnt just down, there are different qualities. I think Macpac are probably your best bet for high end sleeping bags and they made just over the pond in NZed. Exped also seem to make good high end stuff (i havent used their bags). BUT If you dont have to worry about size / weight then cheaper ones are fine. Also look at liners they are a good way to up the warmth and keep the bag clean, silk for most camping or these ones from sea to summit are good when the temp. drops.

<TABLE id=imagebox2 border=0 width=120 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt vAlign=top align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD height=40 vAlign=top><LABEL>Thermolite® Reactor Extreme</LABEL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    http://www.seatosummit.com.au/showsubcat.php?Category=Liners&Subcat=Thermolite

cheers

David

PS these guys have some bargains at the moment.

http://www.bivouac.co.nz/
  4. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Something made from a hollowed out yak? :dunno
  5. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yak is out! Not if she wants to join me in bed upon her return! it sounds something like that Bear Grylis fellow would do. Maybe the cold would reduce the stench.

Hey Sundowner , how much did that camp oven from Silverglo cost?

Thanks to the others who replied. I will pass on the info to Minister for Overseas Travel when she comes home from work. I usedto have a tea towel that had " happiness is a working wife" on it. Strangely, it disappared!
  6. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Not sure - I think I paid about $45. Check the link in the other thread. Definitely worth a call. :thumb
  7. Uncle Crumpet

Uncle Crumpet Long timer

Oddometer:
    there are some good specials to be had on ebay at present for compact low temp down filled bags, just sayin.:deal
  8. martysgone

martysgone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have obsessed on the sleeping bag question for a bit and have gone with a quilt/sleeping pad system. The idea is that you don't get any insulation benefits from your bag when you crush it with your weight, so you don't need to have excess weight there, only a decent sleeping pad. You can also move about a lot better if you get claustrophobic in a tight bag. It's quite a bit more comfortable and I love being able to sleep like I would at home,- all over the place. I like to hammock camp when I know I will be around trees and it's nice to be able to roll out of it without crawling out of my bag. I went with the Golite Ultralite 3 season quilt because of the price/performance ratio. It's plenty warm for what I need it for. It packs incredibly small and only weighs 1.5 lbs. Overall, I have been really happy with it, just make sure you go with the long, no matter how short you are. I bought my wife the small and wished I had opted for the extra inches.
    http://www.golite.com/UltraLite-3-Season-Quilt-Long-P854.aspx
    The best out their is a Nunatak quilt. They will make it as warm as you want, if you have the means ($$$). http://www.nunatakusa.com/
    Nunataks are considered to be the pinnacle of performance to all the ultralite backpacking buffs. Most of those guys are pretty demanding on their gear. Might be worth the investment if she is going to be living with it for a while.
  9. thecanoeguy

thecanoeguy just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer:
    i Have some Wiggys US military sleeping bags at the moment ,rated - 15, they are the only company that makes sleeping bags for the US military ,one warm bag ,better than down ,but not smaller than down bags ,some of these ones are new or appear to be new ,
  10. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Canoeguy,

I have some questions for you
    1) how heavy is the bag in Kg?
    2) when it is packed ina compression bag, what length and width is the bag?
    3) how many $
    4) are they used or not?

Thanks.

Kym
  11. Doctor

Doctor Banned

Oddometer:
    the planets must be lining up ! all the new threads about the same stuff a 2 minute search would reveal, bit like being a gold fish around here :ear it's always different at the other end of the tank :lol3
    any way back on my bus ..............................singing , the wheels on the bus go round and round :kboom
  12. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whos got a Darche bag?:earSaw a Cold Mountain minus 12 last week, looked awesome!! Being a big unit, I like a big bag, I got heaps, but none that I really like, the Darche looks the go!
    PS, I know its huge, will be more for fourby weekends away in the winter
    Thanks for input, Dave
  13. Dale950

Dale950 Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Cookie1

Cookie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. racca

racca wandering aimlessly

Oddometer:
    Quiet in the peanut gallery!!
  16. racca

racca wandering aimlessly

Oddometer:
  17. katoong

katoong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for One Planet...

I have the Bungle -7 bag. Fantastic sleeping bag!

Quality products, made in Australia!! And I'm not even an Aussie :D

18. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    You sure about that?

http://www.tennierindustries.com/index.html

"Tennier Industries, Inc. is a leading U.S. military contractor for technically constructed performance uniform items, equipage and sleep systems"

I think there may be a few.....
  19. Blokette

Blokette Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Ranger Rob

Ranger Rob Out and about...

Oddometer:
    I have one of the Tennier industries sleep systems.
    They ARE issued to US Military personnel.

This system is crazy warm when used with both inner bags and the bivvy as well. I used it in NSW this year when it was -6C and my friends were uncomfortably cold but i was sleeping in boxers and no shirt!!
    No tent, just a fly strung up and on my Luxurylite cot.

For the first night or 2 i had slightly disturbed sleep as i was TOO HOT......because i jumped into bed with my thermals on.

With all bags working together it was a little snug inside, but i got used to it and after that........ blissful sleep. (I have a reasonably big chest and usually hate smaller bags)

This system is not small but you can take it anywhere in Australia and not die of hypothermia.

It's an integral part of my kit now.

Rob