New Dunlop Trailmax TR91 for Beasts - anyone tried?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dcstrom, Jan 10, 2011.

1. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. SpeedStar

SpeedStar XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer:
    I only see 17" so far, so no for Strom or Super Tenere for now.
  3. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    look basicly like another street tire w/ a little wider spaced tread for occasional packed dirt and priced very high. between this tire and the 607 dunlop has very weak adv touring tires in beast sizes imo. doubt this will last any longer than the 607.

i guess the joke is they named it trailmax. for the price i'd stick w/ original tourance design on the rear for long mileage or if you're more serious about dirt look at the 705 or the k60.
  6. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah Bill, you're probably right, but I'd like to know for sure. I like the Shinko 705's but even the radial version is only lasting 4-5000 miles on the rear of the Strom. So on the lookout for a tire that lasts a bit better for longer trips where I'm not doing a lot of dirt. The old Tourance last well but more expensive than these Dunlops and they are kinda greasy on the road and not great off it.

Trevor
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i hear ya.

i'm seeing about $25 more for the tourance and those have proven to last a long time so is it worth it to risk needing to find a tire on tour to save $25?
    i guess someone has to be the test mule.

if you want max mileage that would be a bias-ply 140-17" 880
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...tzeler-ME-880-Marathon-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx
    but that is a pure road tire.

the beauty of the shinkos is they are 1/2 the price.
  8. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. spacekadet

spacekadet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that reference. Nice to have a objective side by side test. I wish they'd included some more "hard core" tyres in the comparison. I think these are all 25% or less off road? I have ridden Anakees off road and dirt road on an F650 Dakar and they aren't much good for it, e.g. compared to TKC80.
  10. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tires are what I call gravel runners as opposed to capable off road tires. They're designed for mostly road (tarmac) but capable of being used on hard formed roads - they run ok when some pressure is taken out of them, but no where as good say as a TKC80 on the front. I'v e been running a conti trail attack on the rear of my bike and a TKC80 on the front. That is good except the TKC80 gives me the creepies when pushed on tight corners in the wet. Not a lot of grip!

Tried to order the Dunlop Trailmax TR91 today but learnt NZ does not import the tire for a 19inch front wheel! Only 17 and 21 inch! Not sure why!:cry
  11. precarious

precarious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Michelin Anakee 2 is cheaper than the Dunlop, and they last. Many of us feel it's a much better tire than the Tourance. Definitely better off-road. Keep buying them before Michelin discontinues them.
  12. BobbyLee666

BobbyLee666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the comparison also, and find these comparisons helpful, but a couple of things:
    1. It looks like the comparison is based on a BMW R1200GS, so the findings may be very different on a different bike such as a Strom.
    2. What was the source of the ratings? A single rider over an extended period of time, an average of multiple riders, etc? Helps the reader to determine how valid the findings are.
    Not trying to be jerk, but this helps me when looking for new rubber.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  14. wayvicle

wayvicle wayvicle

Oddometer:
    Hi Friend.

I use TR91's both on and offroad. I rode up into the SImilkameen and Oliver areas which is mainly packed dirt, sand and rocks. The Trailmaxes are excellent for my use. I don;t like to cause a lot of damage as I ride in grasslands as well. The only time I ever had trouble was in slick clay laden mud. Otherwise they make me Very Happy.

Ride_on,

Wayvicle
  15. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    They look nearly identical to the Pirelli Scorpion Trails.

Pirelli...............................................................................Dunlop

[​IMG][​IMG]
  16. rakad

rakad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Dunlop TR91 on the front of my 'Strom. I'll put one on the rear when the Shinko wears out.

I selected it on the strength of a comparison review in a German moto mag - it was good enough in the dirt, and outstanding in the wet. Traction in the wet is important where I live.

I have found it to be fine on gravel roads, but it provides amazing cornering grip on wet and dry pavement. I have broken the rear Shinko 705 loose on hard pavement corners, but the TR91 on the front just sticks.

Before I mounted the TR91, I had it side by side with an identically sized unmounted Anakee II (my former favorite tire). The TR91's sidewalls were much much stiffer than the Anakee II's. To me, that meant it would deform less when pushed hard in corners, and be less likely to move on the rim if run at low pressure (tubeless rims).

I really like it. I found Anakee IIs to be a big improvement over Bridgestone Trailwings, and the Dunlop TR91s are a big improvement over the Anakee IIs.
  17. spacekadet

Oddometer:
    Is the review online? Wouldn't mind having a look at it.

cheers
    sandychain likes this.
  18. rakad

rakad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. spacekadet

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. This is quite a good review (with a few translation issues!).

I'm interested about the comments for some tires lacking neutrality and something about tilting. I've noticed that too. Just hired a GS1200 for a week and it had Anakees on it - I'd completely forgotten about the way they tip into a corner and don't really want to tip back out of it again. TKC 80s are the same.

I'm starting to wonder if this is the price yo pay for having chucnky tread.