My 950 caught fire...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by brents347, May 23, 2012.

1. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    And burned everything.

I'd love to post photos, but I am just now able to get on the internet at all and pictures will be a whole nother challange.

Long story short, I wanted to pick up my boy from school on the 950 (it was his birthday) but the battery was weak from me having leftthe GPS turned on a few days earlier. So I put the bike on a trickle charger and left the house for about 20 minutes to check on a job.

When I returned the house was in flames. My wife was in the shower at the time, so she was running around the yard in a towel, hysterical. Needless to say.

The losses:

About 1/2 the house. Looks like we will be out for 6 months and although much of our stuff did not recieve fire damage, they are throwing most all of our stuff away due to smoke damage.

The 950. It simply discintigrated (sp?).The front end, triples, forks, wheel, etc. is gone. The swingarm burned through. Things like valve covers and engine cases melted or burned away. Even the carbs burned or melted to nothing.

My 660 Rally bike. Not as bad as the 950, but not salvagable at all. Nothing left.

My '65 Ford Mustang. It was my grandfathers car and is very important to me. I may be able to save this one. It is completely burned cosmetically and interior, but the body, chassis and engine may be good. I will buy it back and put it in the back barn for some later day.

All mountain bikes, paddle boards, tools, and everything else you keep in the garage. Which for me is everything.

The fire started with either the charger or the battery itself, and since our fire I am learning that this is NOT uncommon. So be careful when charging batteries. I will never charge a battery in the garage again. Move the bike, move the battery, whatever. It isn't that hard to do. Lesson learned.
  2. el' hefe

el' hefe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, sorry to hear. The good thing is that everyone is okay (the material items are replaceable). This will make me think twice about leaving my bikes on a trickle charger. Good luck with your recovery effots.
  3. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    Wow. I am dumbstruck. Can't comprehend how you must feel. Glad everyone is ok. Thanks for the heads up on this. Have always though about getting a trickle for the winter time, but now.... maybe not.
  4. markie_wales

markie_wales Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You and your family are safe, that's what keeps this thread OK. I cannot think of any other up side (although let's be honest - being safe - that's THE most important thing) - sorry for everything else.

If you were closer I'd let you have a ride on my SE now and again to keep you sane through what's likely to be a tough time.

cheers

Markie
  5. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Holee Shit. I am dumbstruck. I cannot imagine what you and your family are going through right now...I am so sorry...
  6. NewHampWoodsRider

NewHampWoodsRider Tag Captor

Oddometer:
    Wow...

Im sorry for your losses, very glad no one was injured!!

Ive always been leary of those batteries/chargers, plus the gasses they put off!!
  7. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Jeezus, sorry to hear that Brent. Sounds terrible, really glad that all the people involved are ok.
  8. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    Wow I can't believe it either Brent. I'm so sorry. :cry
  9. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear about this. May the force be with you on your insurance claim and let us know if you need some help.

If you don't mind, can you tell us what Brand of Trickle charger was suspect?

All the Best!
  10. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    That sucks !!! Glad your family is okay though.
  11. propilot10

propilot10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, very sorry about your loss. I was headed today to get a trickle charger for my 990. rethinking that now.
  12. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Wow, man, really sorry to hear this.

Hope everything comes out OK for you and the family in the long run.

Thanks for posting the tip about charging a battery, though. :thumb
  13. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:

All of this is very sad, and most things are replaceable. My heart turned heavy reading this.
    That Mustang....has sentimental value that cannot be re-bought.
    I hope for you, that this car will see rebirth.

May you recover somewhat, someday. And may insurance treat you well.
    You seem to have a decent attitude about it...that's a big start.

Good luck, and much more, fellow Crusher. :norton
  14. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man. I feel your pain.. I'm glad you seem to be in good spirits. It shows how something we take for granted can cause a life altering experience.. What if that happened in the middle of the night?
    I hope you come out Ok with all of this. Best wishes.
  15. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear this. Eveyone is OK by the sounds of things so thats the main thing. Insurance companies in the UK can be wankers, but its worth noteing that in terms of the law, if the offer you X, you can request replacing like for like....insurance companies dont like you stating this. Not rubbing salt, but for others...I have smoke alarms in the garage..PITA when using a torch....but....
  16. SixOneGiraffe

SixOneGiraffe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How very unfortunate. I am so sorry to hear about all of the material loss.

Glad though to hear you and your family are okay.

Point well taken and committed to memory about charging the battery.

Thinking of you during this difficult time.
  17. ShadySmurf

ShadySmurf Does Own Stunts

Oddometer:
    Damn, sorry man. Glad your family is ok though.

Thanks for sharing the lesson.
  18. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    You may have just saved many others with your willingness to pass on this personal experience. I am deeply sorry, but I'm positive your rebound will impress us all.

I'm am feeling especially guilty. I had the exact experience earlier in the year. I walked into my garage and could smell that of smoldering wires. I immediately switched off the breaker and called in my electrician friend. My garage had the original wiring from the 50's and they started to smolder behind the outlet where my charger was plugged into my 950.

I figure 20 minutes later and my garage would have been toasted, including everything inside... It was just a fluke that I walked into the garage on that morning. Fate, really.

I have a '70 classic 2wd convertible Chevy Blazer resoration project in near completed stage which would have crushed me to loose. I can totally sympathize about your Mustang.

I immediately replaced all the wiring in my garage, put in and added new dedicated circuits, replaced with all new outlets, inside lighting and did a complete garage revamp... new counters, new work bench, shelving, cabinets and rafter storage. It was way more then I would have ever budgeted but I figured lucky to have a garage to spend it on.

It also motivated me to go through all of my boxed up possessions, clear out the unneeded, unused and unwanted items, and catalogue anything of value for insurance replacement purposes moving forward.

I also got rid of several old pieces of machinery tooling that were also plugged into wall outlets... an old drill press and mini ban saw. These items were passed down to me an though still worked, I questioned their safety and hauled them off, yet to be replaced with newer.

I'm now very sorry I didn't relay my experience on advrider. At the time I was in reaction... mode and dealing with electricians and in doing the garage refresh I got sidetracked.

I should have posted my experience immediately. And I feel I've learned another important lesson today... Post it!!! It could save others...
  19. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pardon my language but you are either in shock or damn cool in your calmness. Hang in there, I hope your insurance makes your whole world new again. Keep us updated.
  20. rtadlock

rtadlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, I'm sorry to hear that. It really creeps me out because I had my bike on a tender for 2 months strait while it was stripped down and I was travelling a lot. Glad to hear no one was harmed.