LED brake lights on 1150 GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by lqgsrider, Feb 16, 2014.

1. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on a make and model for a plug and play unit?
  2. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skene Designs P3 lights are not quite plug and play but are great add-ons. If you can find a used Gizmomill grab it. They are plug and play.
  3. lqgsrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  4. lqgsrider

Oddometer:
    With the Skene do you need to buy lighted
    And separate controller?
  5. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can buy the kit that comes with the controller and the two LEDs or you can just buy the controller and use your own LEDs. The Skene system is in addition to your existing brake light. I use the P3 kit that came with the lights and added a set of Autozone LED strips to my panniers. Makes for a lot of light. I also have a Gizmomill that I found in the flea market here.
  6. GroceryRun

GroceryRun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Are you looking to just replace the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs? Thats the quickest and cheapest plug and play you can do.

You'll find every shape, size, wattage, color...etc, imaginable here:
    www.dx.com

I would also recommed Hyperlites as add-on outboard lights.
  8. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Go here...

http://www.ledlight.com/s25-39-led-light.aspx

Remember, order LEDs of the same color as the lens they will go behind. Turn signal lamps should be amber regardless of the lens color.

I'll soon have LEDs in all the light positions on my GS. The only exceptions will be the alternator lamp (it will remain OE incandescent) and the high and low beam headlights...they are 35 watt, 4300K HIDs.

This is the low cost alternative to upgrading the OE lighting and the high priced aftermarket stuff.

High brightness LEDs consume about 10% of the current of the OE incandescent lamps, offer improved visibility and conspicuity as well as offering no burnouts for decades.

Switching to HIDs reduces headlamp load by about 35% and improves nighttime headlamp performance X2.

Overall electrical lighting load is reduced by +50%. Your wallet load is also reduced by a similar amount.

You can likely install LEDs in all positions as well as HIDs in the headlights for less than $125.00.

Remember, the flasher unit will need modification to accommodate the reduced load of the LEDs thereby eliminating fast flash.
  9. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    +1 - Works great and doesn't require a flasher upgrade. These guys were the manufacturers of the old Brake! light.
  10. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Yes but, its $125.00 and its only a brake light. The flasher needs modification if LEDs are installed in the turn signal sockets.
  11. dirtsurfer

dirtsurfer Hapless airhead rescuer, Adventourer

Oddometer:
  12. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sir, if you have servo-ABS, this ABS is quite sensitive to the resistance of the brake light bulb. If incorrect, the ABS / Motronic will give an error
  13. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    In that case, you're screwed. Congratulations on Norway's olympic performance...Norwegians know snow.
  14. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    The Brake! LED on my 1150 has resistors that you can use to increase the load (or not) by setting some dip switches. No errors from my servo brakes in 7 years of use.

I meant to say servo brake relay.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
  15. Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man Globe Trotter

Oddometer:
    + 2 on the adventure tech plug and play light. I've had mine for over 60,000 miles and not one LED has burned out. Very bright and cars stop two car lengths behind you!

Great Canadian company.......supplies LED tail lights to the soon to be Olympic gold medal winners Team Canada :rofl
  16. spudboy52

spudboy52 Talks to Strangers

Oddometer:
    I put this 1/8" x 2" aluminum light bar on my 1999 R1100GS today. It has a highly visible, attention getting (annoying?) LED 'Knight Rider' side-to-side running light which doubles as an extra brake light. I'm not sure it is legal but it helps keep me alive. I also have auxiliary sequential turn signals on the bar. The lights are much brighter than is apparent in the photo. I bought the LED lights from CustomDynamics. http://www.customdynamics.com/Light_bars.htm#Knight_Riderz_Sequential_LED_Light_Bar

[​IMG]
  17. Poway

Poway SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer:
    BMW makes a plug and play unit for your bike. It's such a great piece I'm on my third one (It's a POS). Although it does have a two year warranty.
  18. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mega bright LED stop lamp upgrade - easy and low cost
    To the camera it looks white but actually a deep ruby red -eye catching from quite a distance but no glare.

Original R11x reflector modified by mounting a commercial emergency vehicle LED unit on the reflector
    for the stop lamp. Fits under the lens. An old school incandescent was mounted above for running lamp.
    This is an Axitech SLED04. Its fully potted and submersible. Four x 1 watt ruby red TIR (internal reflector).

This or similar is 100x better than any custom led module or led bulb replacement sold at retail mc shops.
    It is extremely effective for keeping cages off your tail. It has a 14 flash and strobe modes built in although I
    just run it solid.
    This was done many years ago. Today I would use redundant led array for the run as well.

Very easy to install. The unit has pig tails, Remove the oem tail light.
    Identify the mc batt common and one wire for batt + brake, one
    for the running +. The oem socket and its wires are discarded.
    Both the mega bright stop lamp and the run lamp use the common ground-
    a standard auto wiring config.

A smart brake light modulator conforming to DOT specs could be wired in.

I happen to have some slim led military tail lights in FM right now that work very
    well on R1100 R1150GS. A few minor mods are required to fit it.
  19. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The SLED04 described above fits behind the lens of that accessory. The reason these are better are the hd commercial electronics full potted in
    epoxy. Vibration proof and submersible. Plus the internal reflector. I forgot to add that it steps through the 14 strobe functions by momentarily powering up a dedicated trigger wire. Hook that up to the emergency flasher and your bike will look like a CHP if you break down.
  20. spudboy52

spudboy52 Talks to Strangers

Oddometer:
    Wow! Nice job vintagerider. I thought I really had something with my little LED lights. Now I realize my brake light system is still inadequate by comparison to your system. Thanks for the post.