H14 and Campcook wandering aimlessly 2-up

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by H14, Jun 20, 2013.

1. SLiP210

SLiP210 you can call me slip

Oddometer:
    This is better than getting to hear it first hand at work. It has pictures and the words are put together better :D

Great report Kevin, dont tell me anything else, let me read it here!
  2. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking until the good stuff; like most transplants we can live anywhere but only one place is home... For me it's the great State of Maine. Kevin thanks for taking my advice, so cool when a fellow inmate stays at the same place I was less than a year ago.

http://l3epicride2012.blog.com/2012/08/04/july-30th-aug-3rd/

Great report and an epic ride... Always better with your spouse! Keep it coming.
  3. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I think.

Lance, every recommendation you made was spot-on. Most of the success of this trip we owe to you.
  4. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    We wake up at 5am to what would normally be the pleasant sound of rain on the metal roof. It had rained all night and still hadn't let up. We laid there talking about how we really did not look forward to another day like yesterday.
    We decide since the storm is moving north we'll make coffee and chill for a couple hours and maybe by then it will be out of here. Since we'll be getting a later start we have to turn back towards the coast before Fort Kent, maybe Ashland.

Two hours later and it hasn't let up. We decide to go down to the showers, buy a little time and maybe we'll only go as far as Knowles Corner before turning back towards Houlton and making our way down the coast.

When we told Jeff, the owner of the campground about our ever-changing plans he said he strongly recommended we forget about going north all together and just head for Calais. He told us with the poor visibility we weren't going to see anything anyway, including moose and he had hit three of them in the last five years totaling two cars. So that becomes the fourth and final plan for the day. We head out around eight, temps in the 40's, still raining, still foggy, and today the wind has started blowing but at least we're moving and hopefully riding towards better weather.

The big thing I wanted to do in Maine was eat lobster and try a lobster roll like I'd seen pictures of in other ride reports. We roll into Calais, the weather still hasn't improved but I see a sign in front of a little roadside place advertising lobster rolls. It's time for a stop. We walk in and the guy asks, "do you want it with mayonnaise or sauteed in butter
    ". Well we don't know what we want, we had no idea there were options so we had one of each.

[​IMG]

We were only 30 miles from where we would be camping in Eastport that evening. Lance had told us about Seaview campground but we didn't want to pitch a tent in the rain anymore than we did the night before. We found a place in Eastport overlooking Harris Cove that has cottages and hotel rooms.
    After warm showers and a change of dry clothes we go in search of Supper.

Down on the water we find Quoddy Bay Lobster Pound.

[​IMG]

Sweet.

[​IMG]

The lady inside told us the best value was the twin 1lb lobster dinner, I said sounds good we'll take 2 dinners. When we got back to our table Rhonda says, "you know you just ordered four lobsters, right?". Oops, now we've got to eat four lobsters, my bad.:D

[​IMG]

Tally for the day: Four lobsters and two lobster rolls.

Hey, we're on vacation.:lol3

Tomorrow we'll ride along the Maine coastline and maybe see some sunshine.

[​IMG]
  5. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    Lobster :tb And corn ..
    It do't get any better then that...

One of my favorite things... The only critters I really eat...

And YES I'll eat them and as many that can be set in front of me ...
  6. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    SLiP's nice way of saying you got halitosis. STFU:rofl:rofl:rofl

Lovin the report so far. :thumb
  7. macaroni

macaroni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR Kevin! You're inspiring me to take a trip to Maine....maybe I'll pull an HBN and go up one weekend just for the lobster roll. :rofl
  8. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is great Kevin . When you earlier mentioned red snapper I was puzzled because I thought you were talking about fish.
    It would have been nap time for me after the two lobster meal.
    So did the lobster rolls live up to the hype and was the butter better?
  9. Dynamick

Dynamick Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want twin lobster dinners! :dg Whenever I think of taking a long ride I don't look north, Going to rethink that... Keep it coming.
  10. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome Kevin :thumb I love Maine lobsta' :tb
  11. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    You should go, but be sure to take bug spray.

I think we both liked the butter better but I wouldn't pass up one with mayonnaise either.

We were the same way Mickey. This trip changed our way of thinking for sure. We're already planning a return trip next year.
  12. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike, I thought about you a lot as we rode through Vermont. What a perfect place to ride a bike.
  13. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    Nice report guys. Looking forward to seeing you next week. :clap
  14. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Same here Chris, it's been too long.
  15. campcook

campcook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Campcook walks out of the room and sees sunshine...............................makes her happy.

[​IMG]

We walk down to the cottages by the water to see some of the sights that have been lost in the fog for the last couple days.

[​IMG]

Look how bright it is. It's only about 6am at this point.

[​IMG]

Hello Canada, see you next year hopefully.

[​IMG]

We packed up and did one last ride through Eastport before heading to Bar Harbor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I could hear her making motorcycle sounds when I took this.

[​IMG]

We left Eastport and road down to Quoddy Head Lighthouse, the easternmost point of the United States. The sky is blue, the water is bluer, temp in the 60's. Couldn't be more perfect day to ride than this.

[​IMG]

Leaving the lighthouse we find Boot Cove Road, it's a twisty, narrow road that follows the coast that will take us to 191.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On 191 we ride by Cutler Harbor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're riding down 186 and see a sign for Schoodic Point so we turn down the road to check it out. What the sign didn't say is that the road will turn into one way and we'll have to turn around and come in from the west side. Oh well it was still worth it.

[​IMG]

http:

//i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk257/h14xl/2013%20Maine/P1060995.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Mtngoat

Mtngoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report Kevin sounds like you and Campcook had a great time. I love that part of the world. I was up there a couple of years ago and can't wait to get back. Thanks again for the report.:clap
  18. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    Great report Kevin! Thought we might run into around bar harbor since I met my family there around the same time you were there.

It's been almost a month since I left VA and we might make it back later this week.

Looking forward to comparing notes with you.
  19. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Al.

How in the world have you been? We've been wondering where you've been. You need to come join us at another campout.

Hey Paul, I thought about contacting you to see if we could get together but once we hit the rain we never knew where we were stopping each day.
    It sounds like you've had one heck of a ride, can't wait to hear about it.
  20. ecubed

ecubed LFC Cat

Oddometer:
    Hi Kevin and Rhonda,

Lake Placid, the Kanc, Smugglers Notch and Mt. Washington....good on ya mates. A lifetime of memories. It is nice to see your exuberance and enthusiasm for touring. Go to it while you still can.

Get yourselves up here to Nova Scotia. I have a warm place to stay. Then we eat 3lb lobsters while we watch iceburgs and whales go by...

Eric

PS: get Campcook some Goretex riding gear......