Power Comander V - F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Calikatoom, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure... not I am VERY sure you have to ride, review and accept the suggested trims for A/F ratio.

My understanding is that it is the same as the Bazzaz Z-AFM (Air-Fuel Module) in that it reads from the o2 sesor, notes it in the tables. You then review the tables and accept or reject the trims. Clear it out, restart it, ride and repeat.

So it does not automatically tune it. It just allows your riding to take the place of putting it on a dyno.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. In reading a few links like this one it seems to work just like the Z-AFM.

Install
    Ride
    Review
    Accept/reject recommended trims
    Clear
    Restart the gizmo
    Ride
    Repeat
  2. Grits&Gravy

Grits&Gravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/products/AutoTune/powercommander_autotune.aspx

Straight from the horses mouth......

We have taken virtually the same technology that our patented Tuning Link dynamometer software (for automated Dyno tuning) uses, along with Bosch Wide Band O2 sensors and miniaturized it to be used on your bike, ATV, or UTV, while you ride. Once installed, the Auto Tune kit monitors the fuel mixture (by installing the included Wide Band O2 sensor in the exhaust). It then sends this information to the Power Commander V and automatically corrects it while you ride.

Of course, the more of a techy you are, I understand that you can make other changes as well, but bottom line is that it works on the fly.
  3. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    My review? What about your review? I hope it meets your expectations, and it should.

I'm hard to please, but every now and again a blind hog finds an acorn. I just wanted my bike to be smoother and I got what I wanted for a few cat eyes.... It's the reason we go to work.... to buy the things we want.
  4. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Have you used it? unless they changed something this year it does not adjust on the fly.
  5. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:

Obviously you don't read very well or you have selective interpretation and selective memory. Good Day Sir. I will not acknowledge or respond to you any more.

:stfu
  6. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:

I have have had a PCV with Autotune on my Guzzi for years.

Actually everyone is right, just not putting the whole picture on the wall :1drink

The key here is "corrects it". Corrects it to what???

Well simple.. An AFR (Air Fuel Mixture) map programed into the PCV. This AFR Map is generated by either one of two procedures and does not change "on the fly".

1) Put the bike on a dyno, and use an O2 sensor up the tail pipe to measure the AFR of the engine, from which an new target AFR map is generated and uploaded to the PCV
    2) Use the wide band O2 sensor attached to the auto tune and ride , accept trims, ride accept trims, ride accept trims etc etc etc until with each ride the iteration in the adjustement of the base map to achieve the target AFR is very small.

What the auto tune then does is NOT vary that base map, it just accounts for varying riding conditions by trying to get the AFR in the engine as close as possible to that map as external conditions change such as air density, air temperature, and some other factors internal in the engione that affect fuel burn etc. It does this by constantly monitoring the AFR in the engine as sensed by the wide band O2 sensor in the exhaust, which is the real magic of the auto tune.

A Dyno generated map can't of course do any of this real world adjustment of the fuelling into the engine as conditions change, it just blindly shoves fuel into the engine according to the programmed map without any consideration for external factors that may be different from the conditions in the workshop when the bike was on the dyno.

THe PCV with AT is without doubt a fantastic bit of kit on the right bike and for some riding styles or requirements..
  7. halfcabnut

halfcabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grneggs
    Unfourntnetly My comander is 2 weeks out ,due to back order .Oh well its going to be dang cold in Indiana for the next few weeks anyway .I guess that gives me time to get a couple more things done to the bike .
    Power Comander told me the exact samething that you posted ,like you said straight from the horses mouth .
    I think some folks just like to argue or be negative ,Oh well !!! Thanks for the info and Ill let ya know how it works out for me .
  8. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    Today was the first day I've had to put time on the bike since installing the PC-V. The bike has been butter smooth and the power is more available. This bike is not a powerhouse, but there is a noticeable difference and I can pull the front tire when this has never been achievable in the past. I like the results and am totally satisfied with the addition of the power commander V. My gas mileage also improved by about 7 MPG.
  9. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would HIGHLY suggest before anyone goes buying a PCV... Give Max at MAXBMW a call about his ecu flashing... he'll tell you horror stories of PCV's on BMW's..

:deal
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you mean ecu flashing...... The ZFE on the 800...???? I thought the ZFE could not be re flashed for different fuel mapping.....
  11. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That chart means nothing. Which is the exact issue at best. They all post this and that..... half a$$ scientific dyno results...... But it really gets to me when I see those charts with fine different colors, without the dyno used....not specifics like runfile 01-02-03-04 with equipments configuration...etc. MaxBMW has a fine rep, that is all good with me, but when anyone yaps, and then posts a dynograpph like that, that has no reference.. well.... it means nothing more than this....
    [​IMG]

Granted.... I have heard several people say that the tune is not that beneficial for the 8GS.... and have heard some that says it is. But until someone really gets with it, and proofs it with other that a buttdyno...... Then it is all fair game. I was hoping someone would step up, before my tune comes in in a month or two...... But no one has done it. Ben.... sorry if this upset you, I mean no disrespect to you or MaxBMW, but it really gets under my nail when these half graphs gets posted, luring in people to say buy the slip ons...etc. All that said. When I do my convert in a month or two, the cycle will be documented with videos, of the dyno run, through out the convert, before,and after, as to offer maximum transparency. Time for a mooooooooovie.:D:D
  13. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Your graph cracks me up!! I've raced with the max guys before and internet marketing isn't their strong suit... racing and making their BMWs fast is what they do best. Just give them a call and tell them what you want and he'll explain it all for you.
  14. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Where can i buy that 50 percent increase in horspower pipe? :evil
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shhhhhhhhh..... It's a secret......:D:D:wink:
  16. Beemarty

Beemarty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So,... any results? I'm interested in seeing how you go with the PC. I'm thinking of buying a F800GS to supplement my 2014 R1200GSA, as a dirt beast, but would like to know if decent untapped power is available.

17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It depends on what you mean by decent power. I think it has plenty, but it will never feel like a 1190..... For a 990 for that matter. To answer your question, I got the power with the dyno jet. It has since been replaced with another fuller, but the dj made more power. The dj is in the flea market . Search for my full dyno jet install thread. It has the info you seek.