This new Nine Ninety thread-venture...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by RhodeHazard, Jun 27, 2012.

1. RhodeHazard

RhodeHazard ex halligan hooligan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am 6'1" but I am fairly beat up so I prefer to be able to be on the pegs with my back in a relaxed neutral position and then be able to hunch over into the attack position when I need to.
  2. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    :lol3:huhDon't make me laugh, it makes my kidney removal incision hurt.
  3. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    639 miles. Time for the break in period oil change.

Quite simple, just: Remove engine guards; Remove front covers; Remove storage box; Remove left fuel tank; Remove center bracket; Remove engine oil drain plug and clean; Drain oil from engine; Remove oil filter; Remove oil filter housing plug; Remove engine oil screen and clean; Remove oil tank drain plug and clean; Drain oil from tank; Remove oil tank line; Remove oil tank screen and clean; Install new Zip-Ty magnetic engine oil drain plug; Install new Zip-Ty magnetic oil filter housing plug; Install new Zip-Ty magnetic oil tank drain plug; Install new oil filter; Install engine oil screen and cover; Install oil tank line screen; Install oil tank line; Install center bracket; Install left fuel tank; Install front covers; Install storage box; Install engine guards; Fill oil tank with 2.5 quarts of oil; Warm engine; and top off oil.

2-1/2 hours later my KTM is happy.

Zip-Ty magnetic drain plugs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    757 miles...

Brown made my butt happy today...

[​IMG]

New Corbin Seat... Carbon Fiber Leather top with Asphalt Vinyl sides. :clap:clap:clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to putting some miles on tomorrow.
  5. Vector Leto

Vector Leto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did the first oil change on mine (same year and model) last week. As I was reading through your post, I didn't understand what you meant by "Remove oil filter housing plug". I'm only aware of two plugs; the engine oil plug and oil tank plug. Just wondering if I missed something.

I hate to ask this, but I'm going to anyway. What did you do about servicing the clutch jet?

Thanks for the thread. Very informative.
  6. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    I did not know what that was either. The Zip-Ty kit had three magnetic plugs, the two you know about and the third that is in the oil filter housing.
  7. EdGear

EdGear Edventurer

Oddometer:
    In addition to BDCW you should check out CJdesignllc.com. Craig makes lots of 9xx parts. His oil tank hose kit would save you time on future oil changes.
  8. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    Today I picked up the SW-Motech qucik disconnect rack from Twisted Throttle.

I have the luxury of living about 45 minutes from them and my bank wants to speak to me about that.

So the idea is to install the rack and transfer the Pelican Storm cases from the KLR to the KTM. Tonight I set off to install the racks.

First the directions...:huh

[​IMG]
    Because I not mount the original topcase I use the spacer instead the mouldings.:evil

I bench assemble the pieces with my bad grammar english to english dictionary close by
    [​IMG]

Next, fit and adjust the pieces on the bike before locktiting something into mistake...
    [​IMG]

Locktite and torque the rack fasteners once adjusted...
    [​IMG]

With the rear rack stiffener the stock plate mount reflectors interfere with the quick release mounting screws so some adjustments need to be made...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to use the cordless drill...
    [​IMG]

New plate location and rack is mounted.
    [​IMG]

The SW-Moteck rack mount does raise the rear topcase rack about 3/4".

That is it for tonight... I drink the beer instead the mounting cases...:1drink
  9. Motrix

Motrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the bike, I have the '11 and just keep :D every time I ride her :evil

I notice your tail light is all red. Mine here in Italy is a smoked greyish color. Anyone know why the difference, maybe US regulations vs EU?

Braaap on!
  10. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    Thanks man!

I am guessing US tail lights are all red because somebody went to Disneyland when their lawyer convinced a jury it was the fault of their tail light not having enough red in it.
  11. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    Transferred the boxes over today...

Changing of the guard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more picts of the Pelican Storm and SW-Motech mounts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to ride...:D
  12. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought Pelican cases to do just what you did on your Storm side cases. How did you mount your cases? Did you use the Caribou setup?
  13. Georgios

Georgios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This Corbin-seat looks really wide compared to the stock one. I would like to know how it performs on a day-long trip.
    Keep us informed.
  14. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    I did not use the Caribou setup to stick the Pelicans to the SW-Motech rack, but went with Twisted Throttle's Quick Release Mounting Kit. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5677/854/
    [​IMG]

I replaced the lock mechanisms with a simple bolt and wingnut with a cotter pin drilled into place to keep the nuts from walking away. I also find the bolt setup to be more field serviceable than the locks. If you are concerned with keeping the bags ability to shear off when you look at them wrong, you can always use lesser diameter bolts.
    [​IMG]

The bolt is mounted to the rack from the bottom up in this order: bolt; fender washer; rack; fender washer; nut
    The case mount drops over the bolt assembly and is held in place with another fender washer and a wingnut. I also used the rubber washers that come with the mounting kit as a spacer inserted into the mounting kit hole.
    [​IMG]

Visited Twisted Throttle again today...:D
    [​IMG]
  15. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    The Corbin is wider than stock and has a slightly dished shape. For me it spreads out the contact area and reduces hot spots. So far I love it.:clap

Here are some measurements for those at home keeping score...
    [​IMG]
    Okay from that picture we can tell the seat is between 7 and 15 inches wide... pretty useful stuff eh?
    If I remember correctly it is about 12 inches... When I get back out to the barn aI will take a less challenging picture
    [​IMG]
  16. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    I have been considering the benefits of having a single pelican case affixed to the topcase for times that I did not want to run with the side cases. It has always been awkward to carry a few items on a single track when I stripped the KLR down and I wanted an option for this bike to load up for a camping trip and then strip down for a trail ride of more technical stuff.

So this idea, well it made it to the front burner two days ago when I picked up my rack from the Twisteds and added an extra pelican case to the order. I pondered my options for mounting it and consulted the experts. Once the experts stopped yelling, I gathered the advice I had gleaned and set to work.

I found some aluminium (why does spellcheck think that is wrong?) brackets I had stripped off my old military trailer and straightened them on the bench. Fortunately two of the existing holes in the bracket lined up with the slots in the topcase rack so all I had to do was cut them to length and paint them.

I noted how far back I wanted to mount the pelican on the topcase and then removed the topcase rack.

Placing the pelican case bottom up, I duct taped the bottom up topcase rack to the case, lined up the brackets so that the holes and the slots lined up and drilled four holes in the Pelican.
    [​IMG]

Replaced the topcase and fastened the brackets to the inside bottom of the pelican using an M8 bolt, a flat washer and a nut for each.
    [​IMG]

Lined up the bolts with the slots in the topcase and fastened with a flatwasher, lock washer and a nut for each.
    [​IMG]

Mounting compete:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In order to properly overload the topcase I decided to install some bungie buddies

mark the holes
    [​IMG]

drill the holes
    [​IMG]

done
    [​IMG]

goodnight
    [​IMG]
  17. Georgios

Georgios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please let me know the measurements of the stock seat, too (width driver and passenger area), including the height of both (old and new).
    Did you rode the new seat yet?
  18. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    Georgios- Here are some better photographs of the Corbin seat measurements. Unfortunately the old seat is already boxed up and in the loft of the barn so it would be better if you measured your own seat as a comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wider dished seat works for me, but your results may vary.
  19. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    This morning I thought I would try to install the SW-Motech crash bars I picked up yesterday before a ride with my friends. The left side install went like a can of corn but the right side was a bear. The right side tank fastener threads into a blind nut that floats in the cast cross member and that was giving me trouble. I finally found the threads and then had to wrestle with the rearward frame mount. The frame, tank and exhaust leave little room to work so I found that leaving the front two mounts really loose and running the bolt from the inside out worked well. Regardless, I missed meeting up with the BBDOR crew and decided to take a few pictures and organize my disaster of a workshop.:huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    I was not happy with the top mount Pelican setup I had just made. Too much play.

In order to keep enough room for a passenger, the case had to be mounted further back leaving a good amount of overhang. This overhang left the majority of the down force of the case in the middle of the flat bottom. Too weak to offer stiff support.
    [​IMG]

So I developed a plan.

I picked up a piece of 1/8 inch flat aluminum for ten bucks from a shop in town and set to work. The idea was to add strength as well as a lashing point to further overload the design.
    [​IMG]

I sized the piece, rounded the corners and drilled and cut lashing slots.
    [​IMG]

I even added those little swirly things you see on pirate ships.
    [​IMG]

Once the novelty of the prettiness wore off, I set the new plate in place on top of the bottom of the case, duct taped it in place and drilled mounting holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]