Kokopelli's Trail Ride, March 23-25, 2012

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Big_John, Feb 5, 2012.

1. love2ski

love2ski on an adventure

Oddometer:
    Hey Big John:

I look forward to riding with you.

Looks like I will be sharing a ride out with KTM Doc

see you in Fruita

Scott
  2. The Rizz

The Rizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody heading there from the denver area have space for another bike and person? I can drive myself if need be, but wouldn't mind splitting gas if anyone has space.
  3. janliness

janliness Battery Discharger

Oddometer:
    Must be ton of stuff in those bags for you to flat foot it like that! :D

4. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    I will be riding a bit heavy as well on my big block XR
  5. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

Anyone have room????

Anyone?????

Send The Rizz a PM
  6. Big_John

Oddometer:

Those that haven't met me....understand why I can flatfoot a 38" seat height......

Yeah.....check out my Handle......Big-John, ain't an exaggeration.....

I'm 6'4" and go 250.....buck naked.

So you know, when something like this.....happens to me, it was happin bad for me and I was probably bouncing on baby-heads and gettin sideways....cause I hardly ever drop a bike.

[​IMG]

7. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    My 'buegrassin' buddy Builder Scott has offered me the 3rd spot on his trailer so looks like 90% I'm in.
  8. prstone50

prstone50 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Boulder Ed, we get to meet before D2D! The SO is letting me ride her TW200 on this trip. I think I am alot heavy on it! Hope I don't have a head wind :rofl. See you guys in a few days.
  9. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Four days of food for Blbiker56 and myself. It was fun to shop today..... for the trip!!!

[​IMG]
  10. BuilderScott

BuilderScott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Dang, this gang eats healthy and in style! I had not thought about eating yet. Buildr Scott mentioned a sag truck. Is there a way to throw a duffel of camp gear in a vehicle that will get over to moab or should we plan on carrying everything on the bike? It sure would be easier to toss the duffel in a truck and pretend I'm riding the Dakar instead of going off for a month to D2D. :freaky

12. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Bring a rope and I can pull ya up the hills. Or maybe you can pull me with that Phat Boy rear tire on that baby! Does it really get 78 mpg? I may need to loan you a bit of gas before its over!
    <table id="MasterTemplate__PageTemplate_cphCenterContent_SpecsContent_tblSpecs" class="SpecList" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Fuel Capacity</td><td class="specvalue">1.8 gal</td> </tr><tr> <td class="speccategoryvalue">Fuel Economy**</td><td class="specvalue">78 mpg</td></tr></tbody></table>:beer

13. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Giddy up!!!!

73 degrees in Fruita and 80 degrees in Moab on Friday..... That's so hot, we are going to have to ride in our undies....!!!!

Yeah, there is at least one pickup and trailer....that will haul folks gear, if you want.

14. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Puurfect. Only the BRP and it's old fat rider then! Good for about 515# total. Hey, its a 6.3 gallon Sahara tank, and a lot of tools!

15. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I had an idea this evening.... Who all has SPOTS?

Right now, I have my SPOT sending email and text to my own phone and my wife's.

I might be smart to coordinate SPOT messages to a single email address and 2-3, leaders cell phone texts. That way, if a group does not swing in to Moab by 5-6 PM....then we can check texts or email to see if a group is in trouble.

Thoughts?

Maybe we have the "press messages" go to Laurie's email and text.
  16. davehagood

davehagood n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok I am ready now fellas. Looking forward to more of this![​IMG]
  17. bikepikespeak.com

bikepikespeak.com Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:rofl

Ah yes. :freaky
  18. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I just spoke with Riggle. They did 140 miles today.....in 40mph winds and rain/snow mix. He wore three layers and went through three pair of gloves. At one point, it was a total white-out.

But.....no snow stuck and the temps were right at 35 degrees.

He said we are good to go.....to the bottom of Rose Garden. From there, we need to bail out, as Fuller Mesa is completely covered with snow.

He also said the 20 miles after Dewey Bridge are pretty tough, but nothing we can't do. He said it will just be a little slower. He said not to ride anything bigger than a KRL, but one of the riders in his group was on the new 650GS and did fine.

He is sending me their tracks and I will send to Mac....who can post them.
  19. janliness

janliness Battery Discharger

Oddometer:
    I'm taking Modette's trailer and have room for one more bike. Leaving from Colorado Springs around 11am on Thursday (so in Denver noonish). Coming back on Monday from Fruita

We may have room for some gear in the Jeep between Fruita to Moab and back (I won't be occupying space in there!). It looks like the trailer will be going to Moab as well in case it's needed for sag duty.
  20. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I want to thank Greg@RME for doing a scouting trip for us. Between his report and what Riggle shared with me today, everyone needs to be prepared to bail on the final 25% of the Kokopelli......because of these conditions.

We will not head up on Fuller Mesa.....but detour on the lower elevations to scoot into Moab. It will still be 140 mile ride.

[​IMG]