BigDog/Friends/COBDR/UTBDR/2,3 & 4 Corners

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BigDogAdventures, Sep 25, 2013.

1. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics, looks like this ride needs to make it on my to-do list.
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 2 September 2nd
    From our camp at Muley Point to "Dingweeds Adventure Camp"

Sorry----I went riding the KTMEXC over in Missouri for a bit---but I'm back and I think the other riders are caught up on Day 1.

[​IMG]

We broke camp in the morning---our bikes had been parked way above our tents--our tents are beyond the
    bikes down a hill to the edge of the high mesa. The wind had picked up a bit that morning and I almost lost my tent over the edge.
    It would have just been------------gone !!!

[​IMG]

We continued North on the pavement a bit and turned Southeast on Snow Flats road----a road I last was on when me and GasPipe rode our 950's thru there. Hi GasPipe :D:D:D:D:D:D
    It was awesome and provided a lot of varied terrain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hit lots and lots and lots of this on this ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we all got a little "Wonky" in that stuff.
    Navajo translation for "Wonky"--------------------"Oh Shit"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our route on the UTBDR took us North on Butler Wash road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The terrain and scenery constantly changing------sometimes very abruptly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not your typical Utah looking terrain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More Day 2 in a bit.
  3. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I was wearing a FLY helmet, and KLIM Badlands pro suit on this ride. With a KLIM NacPak on my back.

[​IMG]

Bill Asher (Bash3r) had never ridden in Utah and was estatic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somewhere out on the Indian reservation I had picked up this feather------------after getting home it's still riding there.

[​IMG]

Today we veered off the designated UTBDR to visit "Dingweeds Adventure Ranch"

I wasn't sure how much to say about this place---but Dingweeds has told---he is trying to by this place--and it's kind of in Limbo---but he's been using the place while the wheels of legalities slowly turn.
    We had to skip Lockhart Basin to do this----but I was certainly OK with that as I had ridden that back in 2002 I think.
    And we were treated like Kings at the ranch.

[​IMG]

There's is no cell service here---no TV service---no electricity---no water---no visible power lines anywhere
    and lots of varmits running around. Rattlesnakes, coyotes, elk, deer, ---all kind of critters.

80 acres of get away from it all bliss---and it is right on the Trans America Trail.

[​IMG]

This place is off the grid -------but actually does have water from a well.

[​IMG]

Really neat bath house---it has a seperate mens and womens bathroom with a wood fired hot tub in the middle.
    It was a bit warm that night---and most of us slept outside on the deck of the bath house----there were no bugs and
    the night sky was awesome.

[​IMG]

There are several canvas walled cabins for your sleeping pleasure.

[​IMG]

And if the shower house is too fancy for you----out back is a gravity fed shower.
    This is actually what the workers used while building this place.

[​IMG]

Well-------I kind of fibbed about the electricity---the whole place has 110 volt power---but it comes from a bank of batteries charged
    by this solar panel. I couldn't believe just these 2 panels powered everything.
    This also powers a well pump to provide water to the whole place.

[​IMG]

A fridge---freezer, microwave and clothes washer were no problem for the electric system.
    Rick---the fellow with the handlebar mustache cooked our dinner and it was awesome.
    Big steaks and a salad.

[​IMG]

Don't tell my wife I can wash dishes.

[​IMG]

Every room at the ranch had propane heat-------and a woodstove.
    The gun I'm holding is available at www.bugasalt.com I think.
    It shoots salt as buckshot---and is a very effective fly killer. I had a lot of fun with that thing and bought my son one for his birthday after the trip.

[​IMG]

One unhappy fly--------there were many.
    I was an easy man to track-----left dead bodies wherever I went (Josey Wales)

[​IMG]

A rough map of our route for the day-----about 139 miles I think.

[​IMG]
  4. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I have a video---but please read how this came about first.
    And yes--------I am fully aware I "CAN'T" sing.

This actually took place when I came back to the ranch after the ride.

But------there was an old 4-wheel drive Ford Pickup truck in the barn----hadn't been started in years.

Dead Battery of course---we were just fiddling around and put the battery out of Dingweeds wife's car in the truck-----and it started right up---amazing-----big 460 V-8. And the brakes even worked.

Dingweeds backed it out of the barn---and I remembered a couple cowboy hats in the Cantina-----we put them on and took off across the dirt road thru the ranch-----I was fishing in the glove box-----don't know why---but pulled out a cassette tape-------it said "old cowboy songs"

I put it in the tape player and here is what happened.

Don't have anything in your mouth while watching it-------it will come out your nose.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/62NfXce5IHY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. RPKLR

RPKLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark,Great RR as usual. But I noticed your camp chair has grown 2 new legs ! What's with that ? :huh
  6. TaZ9

TaZ9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mark,

Great ride report! Please tell me that you ARE going to make a DVD of this one, 'cause I want it.

And Scott, if you get the "Adventure Ranch" up and runnin' by Spring, I will be one of your first customers. I have ridden a lot of that area, but always want to do more.

After the fires and floods here in Colorado, a Springtime trip to Utah is already in the works.

Keep it comin' boys!

Taz9
  7. huskyKT

huskyKT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark,

I have to go back and read the report from the beginning now that I watched the video. what a hoot!

I would like to be invited on one of these trips some day.
  8. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Yeh------I finally let loose of a little of my social security money and bought 2 more legs :rofl:rofl:rofl

I hope to get a video-----might be a winter project---but I'll post it up if and when I get it done. I've certainly got lots of video to work with.
    Bash3r's got a lot I've never seen----I'm hopin' he starts posting some stuff---he had a go pro going a lot.
    I wish everybody could go --------but schedules make it hard to happen sometimes---------especially when I don't have one.

BigDog
  9. duckboy810

duckboy810 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great R&R pictures! If I hadnt popped a hole in my DRZ case going up black bear i would have continued on with DYNOBOB te630 and Cobrat ktm450 to meet you guys on - Ophir I believe... Ride on!
  10. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Oh, that ranch is cool! :thumb
    Hope it all works out, DingWeed.
    It sure sounds perfect, on the TAT and everything!

Hey, BigDog - nice singing, you and DW just need to work out some dance numbers now :evil

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r5T8FJ7TldU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Perfect for the Cantina...:deal

:lol3
  11. Gravytrain

Gravytrain house husband

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  12. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:lol3:lol3:lol3
    A Piano and player are on the Wish list for the Cantina!!!!!!
    Scott
  13. DingWeed

Oddometer:
    Awesome pic Bill!!!!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap

[​IMG]
    darkstarmoto likes this.
  14. DCZ

DCZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about the dancers? I have dubs on piano player!

Rick
  15. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    The DWAdvCamp looks fantastic. Let us know just as soon as the hurdles are cleared and the facilities are up and running. I'll sign up for a week or two, and have an idea for getting a group up there to help stir up some dust!
  16. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    I bit of footage from Day 1..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G3bUKOfvy58?list=UUbMqPbWIzEz17aIhzxW1L4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice video and audio from the GoPro Bash3r !! I'm getting ready to buy a gopro soon...was waiting for some improvements in the audio and a good mic that could be plugged into the unit even with the protective plastic case installed. Do you have something special put together for your audio? The quality of sound seems so much better than any other gopro videos I have seen.

My group of DR650 riders met up with your group at the Victory motel in Maybell, CO after you had left them. We sure had a good time talking with them on a big old front porch connected to a big old house/hotel from the late 1800's. Looking forward to your next video

Tim
  18. Hoot Gibson

Hoot Gibson Banned

Oddometer:
    Damn, looks like Heaven to me...:D
  19. DingWeed

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim,
    It was Great to meet you guys there in Maybell.......What a Fantastic hotel!!!
    How was the rest of your trip?.....PM me if you get a chance!
    Thanks
    Scott
  20. Hermy

Hermy Where's this road go?

Oddometer:
    I take your old GS up the Trans Wisconsin Trail and miss 7 pages of this? I can't wait to get caught up. I'm only as far as Muley Point on top of the Dugway and had to tell you thanks! As for the GS, she was flawless through Wisco and then on the Cannonball Run back home to Minnesota, by the way...:D