Canon G11 vs LX3 vs ???

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by chtucker, Oct 15, 2009.

1. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been waiting for both the release of the new Canon G11 and the immenent arrival of twins...

Being as that my wife can't wait too much longer... I need to decide on a high end point & shoot...

The LX3 has been the gold standard... is the Canon going to surpass it? Larger sensor?

What are all your thoughts? I have been watching dpreview and such and think that point/shoot is as far as I want to go..
  2. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Canon S90 is closer in specs to the LX3

I'd suggest you play with them both at a camera shop and see which one you prefer. Both are reputed to be quite good.
  3. xathor

xathor Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer:
    Are you stuck on a point and shoot or are you open to the thought of a DSLR?
  4. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I carry my LX3 and G9 most of the time on the bike. Have done numerous magazine cover images with each. Both are fine cameras.

With the G11 Canon went for better high-ISO noise control over more MP and the samples I've downloaded and looked at show that @ISO 800 the G11's noise levels are comparable to my LX3 @ISO 400 or my G9 @ISO 200.

Both the G11 and LX3 are 10 MP cameras. The Panasonic has the edge in both lens speed (f/2-2.8) and wide-angle coverage (equiv. 24mm vs the G's equiv. 28mm), which is more difference than you'd think. Plus the LX3 lens wears the Leica badge and is a very nice lens. The G11's lens has the advantage of a longer telephoto reach, at 35mm equivalent 140mm vs the Panasonic's equivalent 60mm. Still not a sports or wildlife-type lens reach, but maybe an advantage for the G in some portrait situations.

I find that for shooting left handed from the bike the LX3 is much easier to turn on and off and to press the shutter release button while wearing gloves because it has a side-to-side slide-type power switch and large shutter release button compared to the G's countersunk power switch and smaller diameter shutter release button. Also, the LX3's extra lens width makes significantly more dramatic "from the cockpit" images.

The biggest draw of the G11 for me that was omitted from the last two or three G-series Canons is the tilt-and-swivel viewfinder screen that is amazingly useful when shooting low or other odd angles of view. I'll likely pick one up just for that feature and to have a bit more tele reach.

Really you can't go wrong with either camera.

Good Luck!

Example of LX3 "cockpit" shot with lens set at 24mm equivalent:

[​IMG]
  5. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    GSBS said it well.

I love the LX3 and agree it is easier to shoot lefthanded, and for its wide angle and f2 capacities... however, if you're wanting a good general purpose camera for shooting in a lot of situations I'd nod for the G9.10.11 series, of which I've owned the 7, 9 and 10.

The LX3 produces beautiful images but the 24-60 equivalent range is limiting for good portrait images and tight headshots - something you'll probably want for your new twins. :D The 28-140 makes a good general range for a lot of situations and the lower noise of the Canon chips is a real plus.

I carry the LX3 with me at all times, but am still awaiting the perfect 24-200 f2 zero noise pocket camera :rofl

Again, as GSBS says, you won't go wrong with either one, but I see the LX3 as more of a specialized camera than a general purpose one. Just mho...
  6. Scottysix9

Scottysix9 Shhh...

Oddometer:
    Either one is great. I really like the trend of larger CCD's with fewer (larger) pixels. This allows for quality photos without DSLR bulk. I hope this is a signal that the MP war is ebbing. Unless you are making large prints 10 MP is plenty.

As for picking one, compare the specs, play with both and then decide which one is for you. Canon has better zoom and the swing out LCD screen. The Lumix has HD video and a 60 second shutter speed which is great for star pictures.

I'd go Lumix, just because I love my GF1.
  7. tkuhe

tkuhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Olympus EP1 or Panasonic GF1

Best size/quality combination on the market right now. HD video, interchangeable lens, larger sensor.
  8. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    you might also consider the Canon Powershot SX20 IS. It's a very versatile camera and is great for shooting kids.
    It's compact, it's quick, has a 20x optical zoom, one button video and the swivel screen is great for taking pics of yourself with the family.

can't beat the price either.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sx20is.asp
  9. g r a n t

g r a n t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Panasonic GF1
    system has good potential. but consider that the cost of it means you will probably be hanging on to it for awhile.
  10. daq7

daq7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seriously, the biggest deal is that the new Canon shoots in RAW mode, which means the ability to tone map single shots if you have to. I really want one so I don't have to carry a dlsr around on the bike.
  11. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    LX3 also does RAW.
  12. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen anyone mention this model yet. It's on my short list for my next "pocket" camera, mainly due to the addition of the HD video and 12x zoom. Seems it would be a very versatile little beast to carry around.

To the OP, have you given any thought to a point-n-shoot that does video? With the impending doom....I mean joy of twins, it might be something to consider. :lol3

An early congrats on the new family members btw. :clap

-NoVector
  13. mxwit

mxwit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Olympus Ep1, Panasonic GF1, Sigma Dp1/Dp2, and upcoming Leica X1 are the only P&S cameras with larger sensors. For whatever reason, Canon stuck with the same small sensor as usual for the G11 and S90, although supposedly low-light/high ISO performance is improved.

Larger sensors offer great improvements in image quality, low-light performance, and depth of field over traditionally sized P&S sensors. This makes a FAR bigger difference than any other factor, including (esp) megapixels.

If you can swing the $$, I'd go with the EP1 or GF1. If not, then the S90 or G11. Out of all the cameras I mention, I think only the S90 would be truly pocketable.
  14. g r a n t

g r a n t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the larger sensor makes dramatic differences but don't forget about good glass. I'd put the fact that the lenses are larger, brighter etc up on the same value pedestal as the sensor. Also, consider that by next year the current sensor will be out of date as a newer one will come along. You can, if you pockets are well lined, get the new body/sensor and still keep your great lenses.

As for the original poster's note, it sounds like the Canon S90 may be what he is looking for as he does want a highend point n shoot. No doubt a fine camera and will no doubt dutifully serve its purpose. I would consider the GF1 etc a step above the point n shoots.
  15. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    Geez, if you're having twins and EP1's are the recommendation, for that money I'd rather have a DSLR. Bigger sensor, versatility, accessories, etc., etc. Nikon D5000.
  16. mxwit

mxwit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    grant, you're right...good glass does make a big difference, but it's only been the past couple months that you could really interchange lenses on a small, P&S-sized camera.

DSLRs are great cameras, and any of them has superior image quality to the most expensive P&S. However, the best camera is always the one you have on you...which is why the most popular camera on Flikr is the iPhone. Traveling with a DSLR usually means having some sort of bulky case/bag for it, and even walking around it'll be dangling off your shoulder or neck. Unless you're shooting pictures for money (I do) or are really passionate about photography, this gets old pretty quick. Many DSLRs end up gathering dust in a closet. Almost any P&S will get you perfectly decent image quality, and you'll take many more photos, just cause you'll always have it with you whether it's in your jeans pocket, or tucked in pocket on your riding jacket.

Don't worry about there being a better sensor next year....there always will be. Get the camera you want now, and the pictures you make with it over the next year will be worth more than the price of several cameras.
  17. FlyNavy

FlyNavy 2 much not chromed 2 list

Oddometer:
  18. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well....

I ordered a G11....

But I waited too long.... here I sit in the hospital with my wife in possible preterm labor (not too early, but not full term):eek1

Had to run to wally word to get a p&s for first pics...
  19. bard

bard Funrider

Oddometer:
    I read a very interesting article about travel cameras.

Personally I got a Canon EOS 5d Mk II DSLR, it takes images you find hard to believe. Anyway on my bike I carry it if I am on a day trip, now on a tour what would be good and small?

Anyway so I have been looking for a good while and the article took in consideration IQ first of all. Conclusion was the G10 was great but still not very compact nor light. But they found the Fujifilm F200EXR with a big sensor comparable to the Canon, as the matter of fact they found it just as good. They concluded this was the best buy in compact camera. (trevel camera)

So I studied it further and I really like the small camera a lot, yes the G11 has more gadgets, but then I would use the 5D Mk II for this. For touring I want it small take awesome pictures, at least have 28 mm wide and a bit of tele. The Fuji has that, and is pretty decent in low light as well.

When I get back home from my bastard job on the rig, I will go and have a look at it and most likely buy it. Amongst best in class point and shoot IQ in a tiny light size 28 - 140 mm for around half the price of the Canon... Sounds like a winner to me...
  20. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    So - did they arrive yet?? :ear