92-95 R100R Owners: Chime In Please

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by tennessee thumper, Nov 13, 2008.

1. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinking about replacing the 77 RS some of you have seen for sale here with a 95 Mystic. Those of you who own the last of the airheads...anxious to hear your experiences with those bikes.

Thanks in advance...TT
  2. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I worked in a BMW shop when the Mystic was new. Sold a few of them.

Nice bikes. If memory serves, they had some idiosyncrasies regarding access to the tool kit, but otherwise it's a Airhead Boxer. Weak charging system, but that's endemic to the breed.

If you have a true 1977 RS, keep it. First year. If it's original, it's worth a small mint.
  3. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments...It is a 77 not a 76... CFO Model. Been changed back to 40mm valves, carbs and pipes, Holt repaint on the fairing. Great bike, ready for a change though.
  4. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    I've got a 92 R100R and it's a great bike. I'm not in love with the motor, though, and want to do a retro to 77 specs. It's a great handling bike with good brakes. I'm not wild about the styling, and especially not with the Mystic. But that can all be changed too.

The 77RS and the Mystic are two completely different bikes. If you can keep two, do it! Make the RS your winter bike and keep the other unfaired for summer.

The mystic has the paralever rear suspension just like the GS and even though it's got a more relaxed angle on the ujoints, there have still been reports of these going out as well. Right now mine is waiting for some diagnostic work to determine what's making the growly noise when the wheel is rotated in reverse.

Keep them both - you'll miss the RS once it's gone!
  5. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    Ears open on the above comments. Already have /5 for with convertable windjammer for summer/winter riding as needed.

I've sold a lot of bikes and miss them all...73 guzzi police, 77 XT 500 jut to name a few...but buy another and move on, like some beautiful women I've known.

RS is awesome, no doubt, ready for some newer technology, styling, just a change.

I think The Mystic will hold its value, its the last of the real boxer...the one I'm looking at is at Emerson in VT...only 5800 miles.
  6. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wirespokes is dead on about "missing an RS when it's gone..."

I've had three. One i used in the '92 Iron Butt (DNF diode board... just as well. Good way to waste $11,000 in 11,000 miles).

Other was a later monoshock model used when I had a BMW rental biz. Seasoned racer, getting back into riding, know-it-all hit a tunnel wall on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Killed it. He was o.k. "Racer" Whined mightly and was very remorseful, but I told him "you have ten fingers and toes and you're breathing, get over it and go hug your kids..."

Now I have a pristine '84 dual shock 60th colour scheme. Updated K bike bags, Omega System, new starter. She's a rock. I did 3,000 miles on her recently to a IB gathering for Bob Higdon in Mississippi and then through rurual Alabama, Georiga, back to 'bama for Barber Vintage, then home to NC. No drama, all good fun.

I'll always have an RS for big mile riding. My body just fits it now ;)
    AMS155, ccmickelson and ottobahn like this.
  7. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
  8. Wirespokes

Oddometer:
    Are you saying it cost $11 grand to do the Iron Butt???:eek1

tennessee - just do this - keep the RS for six months after you get the new bike and THEN decide. The only way to go more opposite in the spectrum is to get a GS or a /2 or a maybe a K bike. But in the airhead line-up, these are two very different machines.

The 77 is a special one - I watched for one for years before the stars finally aligned and one landed in my lap (figuratively, of course). Then again, I'm sure you'll make someone very happy with his new purchase.
  9. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    Well have a look at the Mystic...see above post for link.

I like the M and yes, it is different in so many ways. Have to sell the RS to get the M...not keeping both. The bike is staying in the Memphis-Arkansas area and going to an owner who tired to buy the bike before I did. He's in my neck of the woods, I'll be able to keep an eye on it and I'll have first dibs on it should it go up for sale again.
  10. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow...$7200 for a Mystic is pretty close to what they sold for new! Then again, it was the last of the boxers.

As for the IB costing $11,000... I know I spent about $8k, back in '93. It is bloody expensive to run it. You kill a good motorcycle, today have big $ for electronic do-dads, and you don't really have time to see much. I enjoy doing something else, but I'm not going to knock it for those who like it.

Joel Rappaport is doing it again - on an R60! He likes it, and it suits him, so more power to him. Boxerworks and Motorrad Elektrik are helping him make sure his bike is ready for the toil.
  11. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Memory banks just cleared up... another wee RS tale.

It was the end of the Daniel Boone Rally. Sunday morning, just about the time everyone was splitting after the awards ceremony (or the hangover from the night before).

I pickup rolls up with a pristine '77 R100RS. Correct in every way - even the wheels had the proper blue pinstripe! Both seats too!

$1750 took it.

I remember being sick about not asking the seller "how much?" a moment sooner.
  12. Wirespokes

Oddometer:
    And that was when? Not this year I hope!

Stories like that make me sick! Please, if you have any more just keep em to yourself. :huh

13. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    david 2 emerson is a great guy, but he certainly prices his bikes the way he sees fit and waits around for a willing buyer.
    that black r80g/s has been there since about 03 i think.

14. bikecat

bikecat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's my Mystic as I found her (it's a her, right?). In Singapore.

[​IMG]

I am in the course of rebuilding, and have found much info on the bike. The most important change will be an Enduralast, and the bike is pretty much sorted, with an Ohlins in the wings. The chrome headlight holders are hell to find on the Net, and it looks like I may have to buy new. It does not seem to be the same as any other airhead (enlightening needed).

The clocks are unique to the airheads, nestled in chrome and with metal panel.

There is a modified one here, gunfighter styled.

http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-R100R-Mystic-75PS-WiWo-Rad-etc-TOP_W0QQitemZ180305439228QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorräder?hash=item180305439228&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1229|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I understand that if there is not much off road riding, these bikes have a better handling than the GS airheads. I am not too sure if the Mystic commands a premium, after all I think the R100R's "rack" tail is really nice.

Cheers
  15. johno

johno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mount Gambier, South Australia, Australia.
    I like the look of the Mistic, and wouldnt mind one in my shed:D

And that one looks very tidy:tb :tb
  16. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    well I have found another mystic...2200 miles, org owner, $6200 asking price...thanks all for your input. If all goes well it will be a fly in drive home situation.
  17. C Squared

C Squared Now without TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like my 92 R100R but my 87 K75 was a slightly better handler and a bit more modern:D

I have a Moterad Eliktric Alt and Dyna Coil and, and, and......
    Decided to keep the R100R and put more $$ into it instead of changing to a newer bike.
    So, I guess I like it and will improve it!
    Not a stock bike anymore but they were fine stock.

Have fun.

P.S. many parts are Specific to this bike.....
  18. DOGBRETH

DOGBRETH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have owned a '92 R100R for ten years. I love the riding position and I love the character of the motor (although underpowered). It is fun to keep it between 4000 and 6000 RPM and ride the torque curve.

My only repair headache was a leaking output shaft seal. Had to haul it 150 mi. one way for repair. I replaced the steering head bearings at about 40,000 mi. Also replaced the Valeo starter w/a Bosch.

By way of improvements, I added Progressive fork springs, a Fox shock, and a factory windshield.

Obviously, I like it.

mike
  19. Fitero

Fitero Just One of Billions

Oddometer:
    Though I'm always pining for my 92 RS, I have to admit, that my 92 R100R is a better motorcycle in most ways. Most ways except for looks, rider protection, and those funky control switches of course..

It's curious though, I get more friendly comments and waves on the R than I have ever gotten on any other bike that I have owned. It must have a nostalgic, accessible aura about it.

The smooth air flowing over that naked headlamp is intoxicating too. For most of my rides, up in the hills. it sure is nice to have a light :huh naked bike to putter around on.

I too can only have 1 bike at a time, and in time, will end up selling, and later missing it, so that I can pursue my latest 2-wheeled crush of the moment. More than likely another 88 and up RS.....or maybe a hex-head RT...or ST....or....

Good luck on the Mystic!
    Boxerbreath likes this.
  20. widebmw

widebmw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my 92, R100R. I bought it new in January of 1992.
    Its a two-up touring mule. I have 254,730 miles on it.