BMW R100GS & R100, bolt on Brembo 4 Piston Caliper Upgrade

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by One Less Harley, Oct 10, 2010.

1. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    2 on hand (2/24/2023), not yet machined

Brembo conversion for BMW R100GS-To convert the two pot caliper to a four pot Brembo caliper.

DUAL Calipers for R100 mono levers with 108mm caliper mount spacing (INQUIRE ON R100's as this is new to me but did one set and they WORK!! Please inquire).
    Note on the R100 (not GS)- the pads overhang the top of the rotor by a bit.

Caliper has been fully disassembled cleaned and inspected, mounting tabs milled, seals have been cleaned and inspected and replaced as needed with good used seals, pistons are inspected and buffed, reassembled and pressure checked for leaks.

Nice factory looking fit, direct bolt on kit. Caliper and line.jpg

caliper centered on rotor.jpg

Calipers and EBC.jpg

No modifications needed can use existing brake lines. I suggest a braided brake line for best results.. Or pads of your choice which match up with K1100XX, R1100XX, R1100GS or R1200C.

GS Caliper Only $285.00 ( $15 S&H ) (Inquire)
    Dual Calipers- $570 ($20 S&H)

Caliper w/ EBC Organic Pads $325.00 (+$15 S&H) (Inquire)
    Dual Calipers w/EBC Organic- $650.00 ($20 S&H)

1991-95 Caliper w/ EBC Organic &
    Braided Stainless Line, MC Banjo Fitting $390 (+$15 S&H) (Inquire)

1987-90Caliper w/ EBC Organic Pads &
    Braided Stainless Line $390 (+$15 S&H) (Inquire)

Sales only to the USA
    Personal check or money order OKOr Pay Pal add $12.00, to avoid PayPal fees pay as a gift or now I think it's choose send money to friend or family option. Contact me for how to send payment.

For Visual reference only, may not be the lines included.

NOTE-All brake lines are standard length, no returns on lines!!!!!

In purchasing buyer and/or user agrees to "fine print" below.

please read the fine print any questions about this or the calipers please ask.​

The "Fine Print"

Please note-In purchasing caliper and/or pads or brake line, the buyer and/or user agrees to the following and assumes ALL risk in the use of purchased parts- The caliper is a used modified part and it is the purchaser's sole responsibility to check function of part and assumes all risk in it's use. Seller is not responsible for any property damage monetary and/or bodily and/or mental injury damage caused by brake caliper, lines or pad.

Brake Line Notes-GS only (picts HERE!!!)

Early 1987-90 R100GS is 25.75" (655mm) w/ Male threads on brake line at MC.

1989-90 GS PD is 31.5" (800mm) w/ Male threads on brake line at MC.

The stock length for 1991-95 line is 31.5" (800mm) with banjo fitting at brake master cylinder.

I've purchased stainless steel brakes line from (Apex Order Form) off Ebay for a decent price especially if you compare prices to Speigler or Goodridge Lines, but Motobins has a good price too. If using bar risers line length maybe longer.

Rennsport Lines-
    Early Brake Line ('87-90) Fittings- #10 10mm male 1.0 thread concave
    .......................................................#7 10mm female 1.0 thread convex inner

.................25.75" line or
    ..................31.5" line for 89-90 GSPD

Late Brake Line ('91-95) Fittings- #3 10mm 15 degree Banjo
    .......................................................#7 10mm female 1.0 convex inner

..........................31.5" line

Note it is best to terminate the flexible line at the steel brake line to the caliper as it keeps the flexible line behind the fork out of the way of getting snagged on something.

Master cylinder Notes-

There are two different master cylinders, the early style (1987-90) like on the R80 G/S in which the line threads directly into the MC and the later (1991-95) which has a banjo bolt which threads in.
    Early MC bores- 1980-90 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm (Motobins list all 5 bores), 12mm R80 G/S, 13mm R100GS
    Late MC bores- 1991-95- 13mm

Brake Rotor Notes-

Over the years I've had problems with brake pads squealing, due to glazing of the rotor. A brake rotor hone (80 grit) will knock the glazing off and leaves the rotor a little roughed up. This is better than using sand paper.

A less expensive alternate to the stock BMW rotor is the EBC rotor. Ted Porter has had these at a competitive price.

Misc Notes- Pads, Bleeding-

Brake Pads- I prefer organic pads, these seem to offer good braking and little to no wear to the rotor, Galfer Green Pads or EBC. Pads to fit are from any years- K1100 RS/LT, R1100RS/RT, R1100GS and R1200C.

Bleeding Notes- Calipers have been split and a new oversize o-ring has been used. It is very unlikely that leaks are occurring between the halves. I haven’t had one leak yet even the few which have been returned as suspect for leaking. Most noted complaints are that when applying brakes the two halves flex and forces any fluid which has gotten between the haves during bleeding up and out around the seams. I’ve argued about this with a few people who swear NO Fluid leaked from the bleeder down. Well it happens no matter how careful you are.

Three helpful hints on bleeding, after having bled in the traditional way, 1) it is seems to help if the caliper bolts are loosened and the bleeder rotated up to the 12 o’clock position during bleeding. 2) Tapping caliper with a rubber hammer or block of wood to free bubbles from the inner cavities. 3) Once final bleed has occurred pump up lever and zip tie lever back over night.

If you want a license plate frame I can include one for an extra $5.00. Please double check size to make sure it will fit as some states have different dimensions.

2. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    OLH -

Does the 31.25" stainless line extend all the way from the master cylinder to the caliper (I'm 99% certain that it does but want to confirm)?

If so, just curious why you didn't run the stainless line from the master cylinder to the solid brake line that goes from the fork brace to the caliper. Maybe it's because not all models had that brake line running from the fork brace to the caliper like my 88 GS? Or some other reason?

I've searched for photos but haven't had any luck.

Also, it looks like you once used the 320 rotor. Do you still use that or are you now using the Brembo 4 pot with the stock rotor.

Again, just curious about your learnings over time.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431606

Thanks.
  3. darklight79

darklight79 drink it , ride it , nail it

Oddometer:
    so sold out huh ? so whats up new parts refurbed or used ? from a 1150 right ? then looks like the sides ground down ... bout 5/16 so when ya gonna have more ? stu
  4. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I buy them used, there's no way I could buy them new or replace seals at that price. Most of the time used calipers aren't cheap, so it takes some looking to purchase them at a reasonable price. Left calipers from R/K 1100's or R12C's. R1150's used a Tokico caliper and I think mount spacing is different.

It's just milling off some material, search and you'll find my post or others on the subject.

Brake Line Notes-

The stock length for 1991-95 line is 31.5" (800mm) with banjo fitting at brake master. For the early 1987-90 is 25.75" (655mm) with female threads at MC. I've purchased stainless steel brakes line from (Apex Order Form) off Ebay for a decent price especially if you compare prices to Speigler or Goodridge Lines, but Motobins has a good price too. If using bar risers line length maybe longer.

Rennsport Lines-

'87-'90-Early Brake Line-

25.75" long

End fittings- at master cylinder #10 10mm male w/1.0 concave thread

at metal brake line to caliper #7 10mm female w/1 convex thread

(#10mm male w/1.0concave thread)

#10...10mm male 1.0 thread.jpg

#7 10mm female w/1 convex thread

#7...10mm Female 1.0 thread with inner convex surface .jpg

'91-'95 Late Brake Line-

31.5" long

End Fittings at- Master cylinder- #3 10mm 15 degree banjo.

at metal brake line to caliper- #7 10mm female w/1 convex thread

(#3 10mm 15 degree banjo)

#3....10mm   15 degree banjo.jpg

5. darklight79

darklight79 drink it , ride it , nail it

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info ... knew i should have jumped on this when I saw em ...Pre ordering the next one now thanks
  6. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    Mr. Harley

Would you be so kind as to put my name on the 4 pot Brembo list for my 92 R100GS.

Thank You in Advance and since there calling for snow tonight their is no hurry.

Niel
    Luxlogs
  7. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    Like I said no hurry, just glad to be on the list. Let me know when and where you would like payment

Thanks

Niel
  8. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since I've been able to find some of these. I buy them when ever I can but finding them at a decent price has been difficult, but I've acquired four more Brembos, two have been sold and only two left. See 1st post for price.
  9. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    Got mine yesterday, can't wait too double my breaking power. Cheap at twice the price. THANKS:clap
  10. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    Just got my 4 pot Bremo from OLH, now I need to service it before install.

BMW Part #'s

Brembo Left Caliper 34 11 2 333 111

Pads 34 11 7 663 764

Repair Kit 34 11 2 331 631

I Think, someone double check me before I place my order with Countryside BMW.

Thanks
  11. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    You've listed the correct p/n for the pads and rebuild kit. The caliper p/n may not be right as there are some small differences with the pistons (same rebuild kit though),some have solid pistons and some are hollow (less heat transfer???? like yours Luxlogs), and some have a locating tab next to the brake line. If rebuilding, DO NOT PRY OUT THE PISTONS, as they are some sort of brittle ceramic and will crack, but the kit comes with new pistons. DO NOT SPLIT THE CALIPER AS YOU WILL NOT GET IT TO SEAL..BTDT!!!

Are you going to rebuild it???? It should be fine, but I did purchase it used, so if you want to. Of all the ones I've done none have leaked. I wouldn't buy the BMW pads, they are very expensive!!! Get the Galfer Green pads, which I like, but there are others like EBC. Look for pads fitting K or R 1100's, R1200C.

Something you might do before installing new pads is to use a brake rotor hone. This will knock off the glazing and is the best thing to do to keep brakes from squealing, which sometimes happens with new pads. It works better than sand paper.

I DON'T THINK YOU WILL DOUBLE YOUR BRAKING POWER, but it will be a noticeable improvement!
  12. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    I first searched for Galfer Green Pads FD 198G 1532 and didn't come up with any results. Then I looked for BMW calipers that fit on both the K1100 as well as the R1100 looking for part #'s because we all know the first question we get asked is what make year and model. Not having that, we need part #'s. Part guys don't understand doing anything thats not stock. If its not on the fifch it doesn't fit your bike, or so I have been told.

Never seen a rotor tool like that before, may have to try that out.

PS, If two pots stop you real good than 4 pots stop you real real good. Do the math.:freaky
  13. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    One caliper left as of 1/13/13

When calling for parts I just look for a 1993 K1100RS, as that's a bike I had and uses the correct pad. BMW may spec out different pads for say the R12C or R1100GS.

Try Galfer green FD198 G1651, Happy Trails list them. the p/n I gave earlier was what was on my last set.

Another reason I like the Galfer pads is they have spring clips (see pict below) for the brake pin. Some other pads don't.
  14. KeithW

KeithW AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    Do they fit 05 GSPD. Sorry for asking but I have been away from BMW's for awhile. If they do fit I want ONE put my name on it and contact me.
  15. KeithW

KeithW AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    That is 1995 GSPD I did not proof read good.

KeithW
  16. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    The caliper will fit 1987-95 R100GS's that have the OEM fork.
  17. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    Here's the differences between Brembo, Galfer and some other unknown brand. Notice the spring clip for the brake pin on the Brembo and Galfer. The other unknown pad doesn't have the spring clip. When searching replacing pads make sure it has the clip. I think this may help prevent brake squeal. Also notice the Brembo has three groves and the Galfer has one grove in the pad material. Again it's my belief this helps the pad preform better by allowing gasses to escape during hard braking. The unknown brand doesn't have this either.

pad differences.jpg

galfer brembo pads.jpg

notice the EBC pads also have the spring on the back.

EBC pads and Brembo calipersl.jpg
  18. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next time you come across more of these buried treasures, pls let me know.
  19. johnalex

johnalex Rider of rides.

Oddometer:
    Santa Barbara, CA l Todos Santos, BCS, Mexico
  20. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    The Galfer seems to be the preferred pad among most people. That's all I use now. Why don't you buy them and let us know...lol. Those do have the little spring clip for the brake pins that's nice to see. They're $19 about half of what others cost, so who knows??