New life for Garmin 278/378/478??

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by pepebayeta, Feb 1, 2012.

1. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I'm still happy with my 278, it makes everything I need from a gps but the memory, with a 64mb card, is almost useless.
    Tired of changing maps every short time, I've been looking for a long time the way to get to the device's internal memory.
    Finally I found a forum where somebody explained a way to load maps in the internal memory but unfortunatelly it didn't work for me. I'm pretty sure it was my mistake as I'm not very good at computers.

This is an extract of the procedure:

-Open map in mapsource.
    -Select all regions
    -Transfer selection to memory stick (2 gb)
    -Copy file gmapsupp.img to c:\test
    -Rename file to gmapprom.img
    -Transferring to device:
    - open dos box
    - type cd.. until you see c:
    - c:\Garmin\Webupdater.exe /upload_file rgn=49 path=c:\test\gmapprom.img -autorun usb /i

I think this would give a new life to these devices if it can be done.
    Is there anybody skilled enough to help with this?:ear

The original thread (post #3): http://gpsunderground.com/forum/garmin-models-listing/5398-gpsmap-276-278-a.html
  2. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a few days ago, with some help and reading other forums it's finally done.

At first it didn't work because the file webupdater.exe was in a different folder (C-Program files(X86)-garmin-webupdater, in windows7) so I copied the exe and language dll files to the garmin folder.

Then I created a mapset with mapsource covering all the countries I had from OSM (downloaded from here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ Good and FREE) and sent it to a SD card.

I created a folder named "test" in C: and copied the gmapsupp.img file into it and renamed to gmapprom.img.

As I'm not very good at computers and know NOTHING about command lines, etc. I created a text file in the desktop, copied and paste the command:
    c:\Garmin\Webupdater.exe /upload_file rgn=49 path=c:\test\gmapprom.img -autorun usb /i
    and changed the extension from .txt to .bat.

With the gps turned on and connected to the usb, gmapprom file in "test" folder, webupdater.exe and webupdaterlang.dll in the garmin folder, just double click in the bat file from the desktop...... a few minutes later:

[​IMG]

Hope this is useful!

I'd like to say THANK YOU to all the people who shared this info in GPS forums.
  3. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Thank you! Very good info.

I've been running my 2011 maps off of a 512 card myself in my 478 because I couldn't figure out how to update the 2008 maps it has in its internal memory.
  4. pgenera

pgenera telephone hero

Oddometer:
    Anyone gotten this to work on a 478? I've got a ~1.3GB map image, and it dies after 35% of transfer :(.
  5. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i dont call that "not very good at computers"
  6. pgenera

pgenera telephone hero

Oddometer:
    Okay, I figured it out on my 478. The 478 has two memory partitions (it seems), ~1.37gb under rgn=77 and ~450mb under rgn=49. I got most of the continental US into 1.3gb, and canada in mexico fit in the rest easily. Sort a pain, but it worked out well. My version of WebUpdater doesn't support the /sacrifice_maps flag, but seems to overwrite maps by default.

I found the information on this german forum:
    http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showthread.php?t=37731
  7. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    I just the other day pulled out of the closet my brand new 478 that I never used. I downloaded base camp and went online from base camp and unlocked maps thru mygarmin and the new 2012 city maps downloaded no problem.
  8. Motorrad

Motorrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EDIT: Now that I sit down and read the above about 4x... It makes more scense to me... going to give it a shot... will report back. (working on a 478 BTW)

How much of the internal memory needs to be left open for say, routes, data points, tracks, etc etc?? and which partition is it in? rgn=77 or rgn=49
  9. Motorrad

Motorrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Mine just accepted a 1.41G map file into the rgn=77 going to try for more now :evil
  10. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    So if I do this to a 378 will it fix the track/route import problems?
  11. Joetool

Joetool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And are they talking about a 2gb garmin data card or a mini sd in you computer?
  12. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    What problem is that?

The way it recalculates routes? I doubt that would be the case, as it is a system issue and not a map issue.
  13. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    But, I thought the entire reason the 378 did that is because the "internal" map was a weird contraption of the waterways mixed in with the road maps and you could never get the map on the PC to match so it always tried to re-calc because of that?

I'm not entirely sure, but if this process replaces the internal saved maps on the 378 that were causing the issue to the type of maps that are on the 478, it makes me think it could work. I'm totally guessing here though.
  14. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's my thoughts will update once I try it. I know that with maps on a external card and internal maps turned off the recalc problem goes away.
  15. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Wow, good no know. I think if that's the case than it should work fine. I'll start adding 378's to my list to watch for. :D
  16. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:

If this go around works I'll let you know. 378's are kinda hard to find but are normally cheaper than the 478's.
  17. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got it
  18. cpf

cpf n00b

Oddometer:
    First, thanks for clear instructions, I finally updated my 278.
    I'd also update the basemap but without success, I probably mistake rng (3 does not work).
    Did anyone find a solution?
    Ciao