Cult of the BST ONLY

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Dec 15, 2004.

1. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Ok,

Now that its just us, lemme get yer feedback on these fellas:

http://www.factorypro.com/

On the left is a navigation bar that if you scroll down it has a link that says "MC Tech" and is highlighted in red - hit it!

Lots of other stuff in there, focus... :lol3

Ok, now there is a ton of interestin stuff for carbs including the most holy BST40

"CV Carb Tuning" - lots of info, haven't had time to digest it or might not have the expertise (hence my lateral to the cult)

and if you click the link on the top of the page (another navigation bar) that says "carburator kits" you can click the KTM link and get to a kit for the most holy BST40! :bow

Maybe we should get Flanny and the 950s in on this stuff as there is 950 specific info. I will SPAM this over to the Orange Crush forum. :D
  2. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Maxi-Meat....

So, you gonna buy a kit and do a seat-of-the-pants review? :nod

CC
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Maybe; found one for cheap (but it don't look complete). Problem is I already drilled my slide - so I would have to call them and see how that affects their kit's performance.

Lots of info in there; does it jive with your understanding of this stuff? I need to dig thru it myself too (too damn busy at work to do it now :lol3).

PS - I didn't know we had 14 members in the cult... I think there are some infidels in here with us! :evil
  4. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Yea, me too. I'll rummage through it tonight and see what gives.

My problem is that living at altitude pretty much ruins any comparison for me. I'm still too fat with the OEM jetting.... :eek1

CC
  5. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Meat, posting this here, as I cannot remember which thread discussed the Factory Pro BST kit (needle) and this thread seems related.

Though the mechanic in me thinks it might be fun to mess around with the Factory Pro BST kit, what actually is it supposed to address? Post mod, (rejetted, drilled slide, etc.) I think the BST works great, I only had one issue and that is the lack of an accelerator pump. That is the only reason I bought the FCR, in fact, if it were possible to install an accelerator pump on a BST and IF it could be made to work as in the FCR installation, that would have been my preference.
  6. cugino pegaso

cugino pegaso 141.7 MPH in DIRT

Oddometer:
    I just installed a Factory Pro kit on my Duke II. The needle performs wonderful ( I have a thread over on ktmtalk where I give detailed dimensions of the stock needle and the Factory Pro Titanium needle)... I too had drilled my slide, and have since bought a new undrilled one, and like it better, the slide is not so jumpy, and on off throttle transitions are smoother. A cheap method of fixing a slide with holes too big is to use JB Weld or some other epoxy, and close the hole up and re-drill to its smaller/original size...
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I searched but "factory" doesn't do much good w/out "pro" :lol3 - I couldn't find it either. Without a decent search engine here I guess we are doomed to redundancy, like Sisyphus! :freaky

I wrote to them, asking if their kit would be useful on my setup (both the mods and an 03 high flow head), and also asking what came in the kit. Didnt get much of a reply, just said that the jetting change from any head flow mods wouldn't be much (that's why their kit doesn't change across all LC4 years - hmmm...) compared to the airbox/silencer changes. He thought the kit would do me good, but failed to state the contents so I replied and asked again.

As far as I know the kit comes with an assortment of jets, a new Ti slide needle, and some nice allen screws - for $69.95 I hope it comes with more than that! :nod (the kit I was looking at was used so I wouldn't be paying that much. Mostly I think the big thing is the other needle - off to KTM Talk to find the specs this fella above is referring to. :evil
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Thanks for replying cugino, what did you drill your slide out to? 0.110, 0.125, ?

How much was a replacement slide?

I am looking for your thread over at KTMTalk, this it?

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=84160&hl=needle
  9. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    I'll bet your bike will be faster 'cause your wallet is so much lighter... :lol3

I'm also guessing that the $70 includes a whole bunch a "engineering" fees....

CC
  10. cugino pegaso

Oddometer:
    yes, that is my thread...

the slide was about $38 if I remember (ouch).

originally I drilled mine out (the two outer holes on the slide bottom) to the conventional wisdom diameter of 3.2mm (=.125") this is what the Duke II ktm-factory jet kit that comes with the ktm-factory Y-Pipe says as well...

I don't know what the undrilled slide holes are in terms of diameter...
  11. cugino pegaso

Oddometer:
    yes, the kit has 4 Stainless Metric Allen Head Screws, enough for the cap and float bowl (I think). it has the needle, it has 5 main jets from about 147.5 to 157.5 in 2.5 increments (once again I think, neither the kit nor the data sheet are here in front of me). it comes with a bunch of needle circlips (for when you lose one) and it comes with detailed generic instruction on how to tune a CV carb (easily downloaded from the internet). So yes basicly you are paying $70 for a needle and the engineering to make it...

using the info I provided in the other therad, together with info from this Sudco chart:
    http://www.sudco.com/catalog/Page 148-152.pdf
    you may be able to find a similar needle off the shelf from sudco for about $7...
    someone had to bite the bullet and buy the first and provide the rest of you with dimensions, I gladly fell on my sword for the greater good. now make use of it and do the home work and find a $7 equivalent and pass that info on...
  12. vrago

vrago Plays with dirt

Oddometer:
    Raul at Wheelsmith/Factory did my & Bojangles FCR jetting on their Dyno. (was some discussion of results in Creeps general purpose thread.) I'd have to say he did a great job and has used the info to build an FCR kit for the 640. He did say at the time that they had a pretty good kit for teh BST.

Lots of anecdotal knowledge over there. Buy the kit and gain telephone access to Raul. I'd say that is a pretty good value given my experience with him.

Parts will always be cheaper than the knowledge to use them properly.
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    What is the pricing on dyno runs up there? The dyno work at Scuderia West is around $300 depending on particulars. They run this:

" Scuderia is home to a state of the art Dyno room. Complete with Dynojets Model 250 Dynamometer"
  14. cugino pegaso

Oddometer:
    the following Sudco needles are the closest to the factory pro needle in terms of dimensions. try all three for $15.30

002.299 6DH2 NEEDLE $5.10
    002.300 6DH3 NEEDLE $5.10
    002.302 6DH7 NEEDLE $5.10
  15. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Of course COL is higher in SFO, but here in Texas $300 is about right for a full custom EFI Powercommander tune. Single exhaust moto, single run costs $40. any tuning and/or wrenching would be extra. I bring my bike, jets, and tools, and do the wrenching myself, last time three runs ran me $100 as they gave me a break.
  16. vrago

vrago Plays with dirt

Oddometer:
    From website...

• Hourly Shop Rate $74.00
    • 1st Dyno Run $50.00
    • 2nd Dyno Run and after $25.00
    • Standard Oil Change $25.00 + parts
    • Front Tire Change + Balance $40.00
    • Rear Tire Change + Balance $45.00
    • Insurance Crash Estimate $148.00
    • Pre-Purchase Estimate (minor) $74.00
    • Pre-Purchase Inspection (major) $148.00
    • Standard Tune-Up $CALL (average 320.00)
    • Race Inspection + Safety Wiring $280.00
    • Stage 1 Jet Kit w/ Instalation $ Click for Prices
    • Storage Fee* $20.00

Appointments:
    Please call to make an appointment and allow up to a week for any major work work such as Jet Kit instalation or major engine work.

OK, the trick is that Factory is split up into Wheelsmith Racing (a division of Factory Pro) which does the shop work and Factory Pro which does the kist, parts, shipping, etc. You want to call Raul at the shop. The number is on the Factory page (about) or look at www.wheelsmithracing.com

OK, I paid a huge sum to get my FCR39 on and tuned, but could not be happier with the result. $475. On second look, that is their standard price for jet kit installed on a single.
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mack and Vrago,

so what do some of y'all think about changing the needle on the BST40? Supposedly the needle is your midrange (25-75% throttle) "jet" and the taper and girth of it will adjust the way the bike behaves in the midranges... anyone? :ear

BTW, where the bloody hell is creeper? :ace I am pretty sure we don't have over 300 members in this cult but I know fer sher he in!
  18. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Creep is the High Priestess of the BST. :ymca :viking :pope

I think he's ignoring us....
  19. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    But this is a decent discussion. Some legit tuning group has a custom needle that supposedly brings more of the inherent perfection of the BST out for the glory of all... :pope

and these nice fellers here have measured said needle and recommended close approximations from Sudco so that we can try this theory for 5 bucks instead of 70. :freaky

seems like a decent discussion to me? I am pullin rank on the high priestess - where's flanny!?! :evil plus i think flanny would be interested in these fellas pushin the pilot jet change as he thinks this might be mo' betta than the air jet based on the holy BST tuning guide :bow
  20. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:
    <circus music>

Yes ladies and gentlemen, for about $20 and a lot of time on your hands, you too can have the pleasure of tuning a BST40!!

With a small assortment of needles and jets and you are on your way to BST nervana!

But wait!! Order now and we'll throw in at absolutley no extra charge <drum roll> - the Flanny tuning guide!!

Finally, after hours and hours of painstaking effort, you will have the BST of your dreams. Then, make sure you post all your efforts here so all the other unforntunate lost BSTers can benefit from your efforts.

All hail the BST!!!!

<fade out>