Why buy a Harley

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hapbob, Feb 10, 2013.

1. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'd argue that point. my 95 had 90,000+ miles on it when i sold it. i was the second owner. ran like a top, burned no oil, or any other issues. electronic cruise control, am-fm/cass(!), and all other electrics still functioned perfectly. paint, chrome, aluminum, seat, backrest, etc looked like it had 15,000 miles on it. great bike, wife said most comfortable passenger accommodations of the 50+ bikes i've owned where she was a passenger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    What kind of riding do you want to do?
    Do you ride alone or with a pillion?
    Have you rode one before?

The harleys are great if you want to pick a direction and see what is out there.
    Not so great if your travels involve gravel, belts and gravel so not mix.
    You can do it and you will get away with it for a while. Not a big issue
    if you are aware of it.

As a couple of others have already mentioned they went through a frame
    redesign and the new frames are MUCH better. You can rack up
    a scarey amount of miles in a short time with one.

Your looking to get one Im looking to get off one.

DaMonk
  3. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I have a good friend who's starting to get messed up pretty good with arthritis. When he gets on his electraglide, he turns the handlebars all the way to the right, which stands the bike upright.....and he's good to go.

Probably everyone else knew that, but I didn't.:lol3

My wife rides a super glide. With backrest luggage, a quick detachable backrest and a screen, she's got a bike for trips, that takes 2 minutes to convert back.

I like my EG.
  4. Muncle

Muncle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have loved everyone I have owned. I have a Ultra Classic now but have had a Road King and a Road Glide. The Road Glide is lighter in the front end because the fairing is mounted to the frame, makes for a more stable ride IMHO. I added a GSA because I wanted to do some riding where I will not take the Harley. By the way, I will be 67 next month. Ride safe and enjoy.
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simply because you want one. There are no other reasons.
  7. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    my 2 cents, there is a bike for every type of riding, and for a relaxed cruise there just isn't anything that rides or 'feels' like the new hd's.
    i've owned just about every brand of bike in almost every type of riding discipline and I recently got a harley...it's extremely well balanced and 'holding' it up is far easier than almost any sport tourer out there because of the low seat height and low weight distribution.

honestly, just go out and ride a bunch of bikes and decide that way. i was a huge harley hater and wanted so badly not to like them, but i absolutely love my dyna fat bob, and for cruising with my wife, there is nothing better then jumping on on a sunny day and just chilling and enjoying the scenery.
  8. vaexplorer

vaexplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought mine because it looked so old. It's a '99 Road King, but it still looks like Elvis' bike. Plus, it's got F.I., which I really like, and is nearly maintenance free. I'm a day tripper, not a long distance guy and I use it to go exploring. Wonder where that road goes? I'll just see. It's the Plugger of the motorcycle world... steady as she goes...
  9. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
    If you have trouble on the road there are more people that are going to stop to help than you will need in a lifetime. Been there.

And some of them will show you their tits.:D
  10. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    All of this, and...
    I've ridden sport bikes on long trips (500 miles+) and at the end of the day I'm beat. I borrowed a Ultra Classic and rode it for a 4000 mile trip and at the end of each day I never felt fatigued.

When I bought mine last year an atlas showed up in the mail, along with a HOG patch and pin. The atlas covers, the States, Canada, and Latin America. It also contains a dealer directory.
  11. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are seriously considering a Harley that means you want one, and there really are no alternatives to a Harley. Love them or hate them, they are different, unique, one of a kind in the motorcycle world.

They will not last as long as a Goldwing, but will last a long time if properly maintained. On the Twin Cam models that means replacing the cam chains and tensioners once in a while. But on my '95 Goldwing you have to replace the cam drive belts as part of regular maintenance. And when a Goldwing engine finally does go, it's gone for good. A Harley can be rebuilt fairly inexpensively, and parts will always be available.

But you cannot compare a Harley with a Goldwing. A Goldwing is a soulless transportation appliance, totally devoid of all character and personality. If you have driven a new car, a Goldwing is pretty much the same. A Harley is completely opposite. It has lots of character and personality. Everything about it screams "motorcycle"
  12. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    If you want one, get one.
    You can always sell it if you find it's not your cup of tea. But you need to live with it for a while.
  13. sarhog

sarhog Ride far...

Oddometer:
    Now THAT'S funny!! Jerry, if you used the little smilies, more folks would know that you're trying to be sarcastic.

Not last as long as a Goldwing.......:rofl
  14. BruceDeuce

BruceDeuce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive owned Harley's all my life. I currently own a 2003 Harley Davidson Deuce. I have 35000 miles on it and never had a problem. I do have other bikes 79 XS650, 86 450 Rebel, 78 CB550, Kawasaki 72 G3SS 90 and a 73 Harley X90 Trail, 78 KDX 80.
    A good comfortable Cruiser, is the Ultra Cassic and it has all the bells and whistles. My nexy Cruiser will be a BMW 1200GT
  15. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    HD are great bikes, for those who can appreciate them. Therefore, if you need convincing to buy an HD then probably shouldn't. Harleys are expensive to buy and also to get serviced. It's almost like a ducati or a bmw. You should only spend that kind of money if you REALLY want one and are willing to pay for it. If you need convincing, then you don't really want one and you should pass...

Just my 2 cents...
  16. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

No, no, Goldwings are not soulless and devoid of character and personality. They are wonderful motorcycles. You're just not looking for that sort of character in your ride and so its beautiful nuances, acceleration, handling, sound, comfort and smoothness are lost on you. Folks like you should not bother with Goldwings because that's not the experience you are after but to label them as an appliance is just wrong and insulting to those who love and appreciate them for what they are. Its ok to be different; its ok to like Goldwings and its ok to love Hogs too.
  17. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    He rides a GW :deal
  18. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    If you get one you can dress like a pirate
  19. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

That can be said of a lot of motorcycles, IMO. The Goldwing may be the epitome of it in the touring bike world, but that same phenomenon can be found in most segments of the industry.

Lots of very good motorcycles out there that just have no soul or character, and while they function marvelously at what they do, they just leave me feeling BLAH!

Not that H-D has a corner on the market, of bikes that tickle my fancy in that way, but I fully understand where you're coming from! :D
  20. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:
    Get a BMW R1200RT. Problem solved :hide