Mojave Madness, Cal.City, Mar.16-17, 2013

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by catfish, Feb 12, 2013.

1. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mojave Madness, Cal.City, Mar.16-17, 2013

A few Nor.Cal folks are headed to California City. Most will arrive Friday, ride Saturday & Sunday, depart on Monday. Most on plated dirtbikes, some intermediates, some novices. Bring your garmin GPS to get my tracks in camp. We'll split into 2 groups if we have enough riders, or one group with hard/easy splits on the way. Adventure bikes should be fine on easy routes, so long as you can handle the sand.

Saturday will include nice trails to the bunker, the Fremont Mtns, and the Husky Memorial.

[​IMG]
    (Great Photo from 666!)

Sunday we'll cross the Rand Mtns, & enter the El Paso Mtns for Burro Schmidt Tunnel, Walsh Cabin, Sheep Spring, and maybe to Randsburg on the way back to camp. Many other routes & destinations available in the area.

Report & Photos from the last December trip to Cal. City.

Mark your calendars & join us! More details & campsite location in the next update.

Catfish ...
  2. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    damn, just remembered how awesome last year's threead was.

I need to go to this...but I'll be out of town on the CORE for Kids Ride the weekend before. Crap.
  3. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I land back in California the week before this event kicks off and looking for a mellow ride first time out to see how my six piece arm is knitting together. May hook up with you boys for slinging some rocks about.
  4. speedygee68

speedygee68 dirt eater

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. I think I'd like to do this!:ear
  5. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Hey Catfish, will try and hook up with you guys again this year ... but will bring the 525 this time instead of the beemer beast. Your Sunday plan looks like a winner.
  6. catfish

Oddometer:

You guys are welcome. What do you ride? Got a garmin gps?

I heard you got a 525. Just a bit easier in the sand than the 1200, huh? Done any singletrack with it yet?

I put my request in for more rain before our arrival. A green, moist desert would be heaven!

[​IMG]
    The Mojave was a jungle for our spring 2005 trip.

The camp site is at the end of Charlotte Way, California City.

Old ride & camping details can be found here. That page will be updated & included here after I finish the new tracks for this year.

Some folks not on adv are making noises about a Friday ride. I'll arrive early also if others do. More info in a few days.

Catfish ...
  7. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, That looks like a fun ride. Been a while since riding Cal City. I love having a plated bike!
  8. team ftb

Oddometer:

Coming back to the states to visit family and stock up on gear to keep me riding in Southeast Asia. Got a KTM 500 to replace the 600 hour 525 and will also pick up a Garmin 650 to help my aging eyes. So if you're handing out waypoints and tracks for the trip could you send me some so I can begin wrestling with and learning the 650 and bloody Basecamp:lol3.

My bike will have the stock 2.5 gallon tank, that should get me hopefully 90 miles. Will your planned loops, flower sniffing, etc. require more?

I can be out there for Friday riding no problem.

Thanks for the welcome.
  9. BRUTSQD

BRUTSQD 2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer:
    This looks like a kick in the pants.. Camping I assume?? If I can get my school work in order I'll likely show up. Do you guys need warning or just show up??
    -Trevor
  10. catfish

Oddometer:

Come on out. More Betas the better! :wink:

This is last year's gpx file; mm2012.gpx. (right click, & save as ...) Same waypoints for this year, but I'm still working on 2013 tracks.

I prefer MapSource to Bascamp because it will only display the ONE gpx file waypoints & tracks you just loaded. Basecamp wants to display & confuse you with EVERY waypoint & track you have ever loaded. Good luck!

90-mile fuel range should be enough. Most rides are 70-80 miles and we'll be out all day. Bring water/snacks/lunch/jacket/tools/tubes/tow-straps/etc for the trail.

Yes, camping location & info are here.

We don't need no stinkin' warnings, but you should arrive early enough to camp (8:00AM) to find & meet folks riding the same routes (easy vs. hard). You should have a GPS with my tracks loaded, or find & follow someone who does.

All rides start at 9AM from the top of water tank hill #3.

I'll be leading the hard loops. We will need an easy-loop leader with a GPS, so if anyone is interested let me know.

Catfish ...
  11. team ftb

Oddometer:

Godamn Basecamp i already hate it so loading them in mapsource now.
  12. catfish

Oddometer:
    BUMP ... Photos from some of our previous Cal.City rides ...

[​IMG]
    Singletrack in the Fremonts with new memorials

[​IMG]
    Fremonts

[​IMG]
    Husky Memorial

[​IMG]
    At the Bunker ...

[​IMG]
    Singletrack in the El Pasos

[​IMG]
    Drama in the El Pasos

[​IMG]
    Rescue in the El Pasos!

[​IMG]
    The spring ride in 2010.

I'm sure Earl will bring some moonshine & tequila. I'll bring the absolute, tonic, and limes. :freaky

Catfish ...
  13. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's more or less where I'm at. Where exactly is everyone hooking up? is there a campground reservation needed? I'll bring my exc. Can't wait! I'll start by praying for a miracle march.
  14. catfish

Oddometer:
    WELL, F*CK!!! :becca In the past 24 hours, all four of my Nor.Cal friends have bailed on this ride. I was planning to stay with one of them in his camp trailer. :huh

I'm driving Ms.Beta down to Pahrump for Jimmy Lewis's Mar.9-10 school. Then visiting relatives in AZ for a couple of days, & then drive to Cal.City for the following weekend to RIDE!

I could still (tent) camp, but it would need to be near enough to Borax Bill Park to access water, restrooms, & showers conveniently.

Or, maybe share a room at the Best Western in Cal.City? Or share a cabin in Randsburg?

So advriders, who is planning to come & when, camp.vs.motel.vs.cabin? Hard loops? I need 1-2 intermediate riders on plated dirtbikes to make this trip happen. I'd like to ride Friday, Saturday, & Sunday.

Speak up SOON :ear, or I'm liable to change _my_ riding plans too!

Catfish ...
  15. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Catfish, that sucks. I remember the last one I went to a couple of years ago. There were only 4-5 riders total. No one else showed up and it was windy and cold. I have that weekend off but, I don't know how adventuresome I feel. I haven't rode too much this past year and I wouldn't want to hold you back. I was actually thinking of heading south but, on my 650 not my 400.
  16. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I've got this on may calendar and I'm looking forward to it. I've been riding every weekend and getting pro coaching and feeling like I can tackle the intermediate level and, given my MTB DH background, some adv/int stuff....except really soft deep sand (no problems in the stuff that doesn't swallow me up in a split second). So if you feel like having me around, that's great, and if you think I'm going to be a drag on the good times, just say the word. I wont cry about it....really :cry

:D
  17. catfish

Oddometer:

Hi Jason, its been a while. Yeah, our group is pretty fickle socially. If everyone thinks everyone else is coming, we get 15-20 folks. Otherwise, they got to wash their hair or something! :huh I suspect the $4/gal. gas doesn't help either.

Any interest in riding & camping somewhere else? see below ...

I appreciate your reply & interest. Would you still be interested in a change in venue?

I've ridden the mountains around Cal.Cty for almost 20 years. The technical trails are what bring me back, but I've been back MANY times. My head is now leaning in the direction of trying something new.

Like maybe camping near Lake Isabella and riding the local singletrack & Piutes up to the snow. Adv-friends have been telling me about these trails, but I have not ridden them yet. Maybe its time!!! :clap

Anyone interested in camping/riding near Lake Isabella that weekend? Hmmm ... I guess I better check to see if any camping is open in March, huh?

Catfish ...
  18. catfish

Oddometer:
    OK, time to put this thread out of its misery. Sorry, but this ride is officially CANCELLED.

I'm going to ride the Green Hill with some other FFs that weekend. :clap

Seeya on the trail,

Catfish ...
  19. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Catfish, if you like technical type trails, you will like the green hill.
  20. catfish

Oddometer:

I'm looking forward to it! :ricky

Catfish ...