Grip replacement

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by TurboCharger, Oct 7, 2010.

1. TurboCharger

TurboCharger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to replace the handle bar grips on my 1200 GS '07 model and I was wondering what recommendations other's who had gone for non original grips had. The grips are warn but heating works perfectly, ideally I want something that is a bit more comfortable for long rides and off-road but long lasting as the next big trip will be Africa.

The two options i'm currently considering are either foam or ribbed grips but that's because I only just started looking.

Please share your experiences and part numbers if you have them.
  2. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    There are several threads on changing heated grips on the 1200’s. You had better look at them, below is a link to one that I believe is good.
    It is not an intuitive procedure.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498496

<o:p>If you just want thicker grips, you can put Grip Puppies on your old ones, I think most dealers carry them
    </o:p>
  3. TurboCharger

Oddometer:
    I already saw that thread and it explains how to change grips, which is fine. What I want to know is who has replaced their grips and what they used. Grip puppies is not a solution for me as the originial grips are too worn and need replacing.

Oh and I think I already mentioned that I don't want to replace the heating system, just the rubber part of the grip...
  4. MotherGoose

MotherGoose My Dream Girl is Janet Reno

Oddometer:
    RT grips. I preferred the larger diameter they offered over the standard GS setup.
  5. Ausfahrt

Ausfahrt Luftkopf

Oddometer:
    http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page1340.htm
  6. TurboCharger

Oddometer:
    After a bit of searching around and looking for what I wanted, I decided to go with the Beemer shop in the US.

I ordered the following including shipping to Europe:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="main" colspan="3">Products</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="main" valign="top" width="30" align="right">1 x</td> <td class="main" valign="top">Grips, Replaces Heated Grip Rubbber Only, Set</td> <td class="main" valign="top" align="right">$19.42</td></tr></tbody></table>
    To replace my worn old 1200GS grips. Now I'm just waiting for the order to be delivered as there was a backlog... Will post more when they arrive.

You can see the preview of them here.

http://www.beemershop.com/catalog/p...d=457&osCsid=561944c2cd1efa84425a21b051c4882d

I plan to follow the instructions here

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/GS grip replacement.html
  7. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Nice. The stock ones on my GS are too skinny, and I have huge German hands with fat fingers, I just don't get why they build them that way. I'm going with those grips myself, I found them on Bikebandit under the R1100GS microfiche.

Haven't ordered them yet, I heard getting the stock ones off is a bitch tho.

Linky, hope it worksy...

http://www.bikebandit.com/1998-bmw-r1100gs/o/m193#sch362739
  8. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
  9. IbuprofenDude

IbuprofenDude Head Peon

Oddometer:
    I put something similar on mine, and it eliminates the hand-cramping & glove-pinch blisters.:clap I thought it bizzare that the stock grips were too small for me, since my hands are, if anything, on the smaller-side of medium.
  10. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:

Those look like the regular R11xx grips. I just ordered the grip puppies but have a pair of used 11xx grips on the shelf in case the puppies are too big for my hands.

FWIW, the 11xx grips have a 3mm bigger diameter than the 12gs grips. Seems negligible but you can really feel the difference.
  11. TurboCharger

Oddometer:
    Here are the grips that arrived from Beemershop Set (32721458396) quoted above.

[​IMG]

So I finally got around to installing the new grips that I bought online from beemershop. I note that the replacement grips are not official BMW parts and so the grips aren't moulded the same as OEM but price, and comfort are why I decided to go for these grips that are based on the R1150GS grips.

[​IMG]

The old grips were very worn and were in need of replacement after 65,000kms.

The first task was to unscrew the handlebar bolts and remove the barkbusters.
    Unscrew the holding bolt. I used an Allen key 10mm (I think) fits as I didn't have a torx big enough. It works fine without problem using an allen key even if the pattern is a star for torx.
    [​IMG]

NB I was in the middle of a full service here so that's why the panels were off.

Unscrew the barkbuster holding screw.
    [​IMG]

With the bark buster off and the handlebar bolts out time to have a go at removing the old rubbers :evil
    [​IMG]

The old rubber grips were held fast against the end of the instrument side of the grip meaning it was really difficult to get a good hold of the rubber and to pull it off.
    [​IMG]

Due to the heating element I decided not to use a blade/knife in the removal so not risk damaging the wires and element. This made the job just that much harder but still possible with a good grip and patience.
    [​IMG]

One down now for the second one...
    [​IMG]

As you can see there was no glue or fixing adhesive used over the element but only at each end of the grip. This meant that it came off cleanly without the use of a knife.

It's a bit hard to see but the OEM grips have mouldings for the connectors where the heating wires join the heating element. This is not the case for the new grips. It's not a problem for the right (accelerator side) but the left has a more noticeable ankor which proved to be a bit of nuiscance.
    [​IMG]

The hardest part by far was getting the new grips over the handlebar with the heating elelments. But once on it was just a matter of pealing back the ends to add a dab of adhesive (I didn't have hairspray) to hold them in place. Actually the hairspray may have been good as it probably would have provided a bit of lubrication to help the grip slide over the heating element... but alas.
    [​IMG]

I had to nip a bit out of the left grip so it would sit flat due to the ankor/wire connector.

Otherwise a pretty straight foward job without too much trouble. :freaky

[​IMG]

And the final product, just waiting for a test ride. :D
    [​IMG]

And the final verdict?

Price US$43 incl. P&H
    Approx Time 30 min

Comfort :nod:nod:nod
    drw1926 likes this.
  12. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw this thread and jumped on it. My grips were well past wore out. I didn't care for the look of grip puppies so I wasn't sure what to do.

So I ordered up the set from the Beemershop. Everyone I checked on the web wanted the same price for the grips so why not. They were a tad steep on S&H ($9) but they shipped fast. I ordered them tuesday got them today, installed them in 20-30 minutes.

It worked like a charm. :clap It's nice to have decent grips again. I guess I'll "test" them tomorrow.
  13. TurboCharger

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. Personally I didn't want Grip Puppies either because of the exta thickness which would impead the heat from the heated grips transfering through effectively. Also I don't particularly like the look or feel of an 'over grip' hence why i went for Beemer shop. Oh and sending OS was also an important consideration.

The Beemershop was out of stock when I ordered the grips and so they weren't sent until almost 4 weeks after my order. I didn't know this until I enquired and then got the reply from customer service guy about the backlog and delay. I would have prefered being told up front that there was going to be a delay, a question of setting the customer expectations etc, but I got the grips in the end, sent to Switzerland, all in all about 5 weeks after I ordered them.

So far I've done now about 2,000kms with the new grips and I'm very happy with the feel and comfort with the small exception of the LHS grip, there is a connector for the heating element that sticks out and causes a bump in the grip for the fore-finger. Even though I cut a bit out of the grip for this connector, it is still a bit annoying but I'm getting used to it. Has anyone else had this issue? If so what did you do about it?

The job is pretty easy and even for a novice like me it was pretty straight forward.
  14. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    You should have just ordered the grips locally from Mark Huggett :evil
  15. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ihave the same issue on the left. The grip just sits a bit outboard at that point. The inner lip keeps it from getting under the finger. Given that the hand guard keeps it from being visible I'm good.

They are very I had happy hands today!
  16. TurboCharger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip, albeit a bit late for me anyway.

I guess the parts catalogue is http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?lang=en
  17. Bobo

Bobo Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pictures on the previous page of the '07 heating element is a lot different than what I saw with my '10. The heating element has changed between then and now. Also my grip was stuck to the element the whole way, I don't think you could get it off without a razor and working very carefully. I am very glad I did it.