2013 mexican 1000 ktm 640 adv build

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Maineroot, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Maineroot

Maineroot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this hose is part of a vapor recapture system on the bike. It's in the way. Looks like it just routes into the airbox.

Ok to delete it???

[​IMG]
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  3. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    I took off one of the 2 rotor/Caliper setups to save weight and give some better feel offroad on the dirt.

Step one is to loosen the banjo bolt on the right caliper. It's messy- the brake fluid will be draining, so get something to catch it with. Wear gloves and glasses- brake fluid is NASTY to the skin and especially the eyes.

[​IMG]

Next step- remove that bolt and put it aside. Slide a new copper crush washer on it....

Then undo the left side that has 2 lines coming into the caliper. Quickly pull that bolt out, its a long one.

[​IMG]

Then make sure you take the one braided line from the master cylinder, slip it onto the short bolt, put another crush washer to seat the other side, and thread it into the caliper. Delete the dangling "jumper" braided brake line. Put that into a bag with the caliper and mounting bolts.

YOU ARE DONE... next step Suspension.

Pulled the forks off for the next phase. Now I have a perfectly good motorcycle pretty much demolished in my garage, up on the stand.

[​IMG]
  4. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    I'll try and re-route the breather overflow on your suggestion!

I'll dive into the spaghetti wire harness while the bike is opened up and do those 2 deletes as well.

Thanks for the reminder.

5. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    wow.. that thing does sure look new!
  6. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any special reason for this quirky rule?
  7. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read the rules as stating that LED tail lights don't satisfy the requirement for a rear reflector, but if you add a 2" reflector (or reflective tape) then you've satisfied the rule. I don't see the rule as banning LED tail lights. Am I incorrect?

NCR7: REFLECTOR
    All 4-wheel vehicles must have two red reflectors of at least 2" diameter each or two 2-inch round red reflectors (DOT stock taillight lenses satisfy this requirement) attached to the rearmost portion of vehicle at each corner. The reflective tape or reflectors must be clearly visible from the rear. LED lights are non-reflective and do not meet this requirement. Motorcycles and ATV’s must have one (1) 2" red reflective device.

NCR17: LIGHTS
    All bike and quad entries must have one (1) headlight and one (1) taillight. The taillight must be on and operational at all times. The entry may not be allowed to start a Special stage unless the taillight is operational.

Thanks for any insight or clarification.
  8. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is not a quick response but this thread slipped down a bit :huh

I thought I have seen somebody here who managed to put the old style plastics to the newer bike. Did not know that the subframe is different :cry ... I have the rear fender at the moment and I will have to check if it fits. I will do this at the near future and if it does then we may be able to work out a trade with the plastics you have with the new Navigation Tower I will have for the 640 :D ... If I need the subframe as well we will go for the full montY :evil

Any updates with the bike Maineroot ?? :huh
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    subscribed - i'll follow this until the finish line. good luck and have fun getting ready.
  10. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting on parts to show up.

I should be back to the build next week.
  11. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come on !!!
    Get on with it !!!!!

Do they do everything SLOW in Texas?????:rofl:rofl:rofl
  12. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    the earlier 620 subframe used different plastic and a larger airbox that accepts the larger 450-525 airfilter/cage but has no battery space... but dont ask me bout this :evil

I dont think the plastics match up as the earlier one had a flat bar across the rear and the newer has one with a punched out gusset that rises higher to add a little suspension bottoming room. You can add some type of spacer on the older sub to fit a new style OEM rear fender. But there is many threads on this in the thumper section especially one by laramie about different colors that the LC4 wears.
  13. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    I got back from a week trip to Boston and found a pile of parts from the brown Santa (UPS MAN).

Seat Concepts seat was the first thing I got into. Lendon did this one up in SUEDE with a custom pocket at the front to keep your score card in for timing. It looks amazing.

If this seat is anything like what Seat Concepts did for my other bike, I am going to be impressed.

GREAT WORK SEAT CONCEPTS!!! You can see their fine work here: http://www.seatconcepts.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    Next thing in the box was a set of CJ DESIGNS PEGS. These bolt right up to your stock pegs offering a larger platform.

They come in 2 sizes. See pictures below. I am going to test these out and decide which ones would work best for the rally bike. They make total sense, and look cool as hell!

Craig makes some really trick stuff for the ADV crowd. Check out the website below for more info.

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/

http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/CJ-Designs-Foot-Peg-Extension-FP.htm

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Superpacman13

Superpacman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subbed in
  16. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    I yanked out the shock to replace the spring with the heavier unit.

It was a bit of a pain in the rear. You have to undo the top and bottom bolts, then take out the linkage bolt. ..... actually it was easy.

Then raise the rear tire so the swingarm is about parallel with the ground. Rotate the entire shock counter clockwise so the resevoir can clear the opening and wiggle it out. That was the hard part. Took about 10 min.

To swap the spring you just back off the preload ring, then the spring is loose on the shock. The retainer ring will pretty much fall down and you then remove the retainer ring, and pull the spring out. Swap in the new spring, and put the retainer ring back in place while you snug up the preload to hold it all in place.

Then back in it goes. wiggling the new spring and shock in place took some time to get it all to slide in. Once in place, I put the top bolt in, then the bottom bolt, then I used a combination of the jack stand to align the swingarm to about the right spot- then got a screwdriver in the hole to line up the linkage and hold it in place.

Then I chased the screwdriver end with the bolt from the opposite side. All done.

The only thing that sucks is that the new spring is a boring black color. I liked the old white one- it looked cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:

Never had an issue with our LED taillight. :dunno
  18. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like grounds for a DQ to me..........................:1drink
  19. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    :photog
  20. erdsh

erdsh KTM 640 Adventure, Gasgas EC250

Oddometer:
    I own a 2001 KTM 640 ADV, and I must say that after rebuilding my front and rear suspension and installing RaceTech bladder in the rear and RaceTech Gold Valve in the front, there is a vast improvement in the suspension operation mainly in high speed and in tough terrain.
    Most recommended.
    A local suspension expert did the work for me.

Good luck.