What are Harley riders doing?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Snowbird, Mar 4, 2015.

1. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:
    Picking on OTHER people makes US feel superior. We all do it. There may be some truth in it, but it's mostly chest thumping.
  2. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know who cleaned up this vitriol of a train wreck but I thank you! There IS a moD! :wink:
  3. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suppose you could go look and see... otherwise you would just question what I tell you...

The one thing I can guarantee you is 20% of the threads aren't bashing anybody elses ride. Quite a bit more respect given.
  4. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Chances are they have the same amount of other brand bashing threads that we do - no more, no less.

It helps if you take your head out of perfect line once in a while, check out the garage, the planning threads, RRs, etc. If the bashing threads equate to even 1% here (which is still too much as they're bloody tedious), I'd be surprised.
  5. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No. They do not have anywhere near this amount of brand bashing.
    In fact you will actually find quite a number of threads where owners of multiple brands talk about how much they enjoy their other ride.

So chances are if you would take 1/2 hour to explore HD forums instead of taking the time to tell me you haven't but still know more than I, you will find I speak the truth and will also get a taste of how mature a group of motorcyclists they are.
    :freaky
  6. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont really think Harley boards can be compared to ADV.

Harley boards unite based on the bike they ride.

ADV unites based on a style of riding, regardless of what you ride.., which is why I feel this board is far more accepting of other brands.

Yes, youll see ADV bash a Harley. But much of that bashing occurs because 99% of them only hit the slab, and most reflect a design and lifestyle which differs greatly than this board is about. Very few riders actually take the time to set them up for adventure riding and take them down a path which many people wont go.

For the most part, ADV riders arent brand loyalists. Generally, the one thing most agree on is riding a Harley just doesnt fit their requirements as a rider.
  7. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is wrong with riding a Burgman around Montana? It is one of the most practical rides.
  8. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

Scooter bashing? I can do that!

Fat chicks and scooters - both fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your mates to find out.
  9. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Yes, youll see ADV bash a Harley. But much of that bashing occurs because 99% of them only hit the slab, and most reflect a design and lifestyle which differs greatly than this board is about. Very few riders actually take the time to set them up for adventure riding and take them down a path which many people wont go.

For the most part, ADV riders arent brand loyalists. Generally, the one thing most agree on is riding a Harley just doesnt fit their requirements as a rider."

I think you just hit the nail on the head. What I don't get, is why people feel the need to bash on something outside their preferred style of riding? If you don't have an interest in a particular style or brand, what's wrong with simply keeping your pie hole shut, and post useful info on what you actually know something about? Babbling on, and generally in a negative way, about things you really have no interest or experience with, simply shows that you're a douchebag.

Jeff
  10. jonny cash

jonny cash LEGEND

Oddometer:
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

This is true. Not much of this going on around the site. Not really much here except the occasional thread. This particular thread would have died long ago if either side had just STFU!:deal
  12. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll admit I'm guilty of bashing. I came to ADV not knowing there was a long and illustrious history of said bashing, so when I voiced my opinion I was surprised at the response.

So I realigned my head and accepted that others will have opinions of their own, some Very Strongly Held, and that's OK. I really do try to have an open mind now and let people be. What I have a really hard time accepting is when people get their facts wrong, but defend those erroneous beliefs like a religion. If you try to call them on something that should be obvious, they'll circle the wagons and bullets start flying. Just happened to me on another thread today.

I come here to learn stuff and share knowledge. I guess my biggest beef about the Harley wars is that I don't come here for church.
  13. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree, but I think HD is singled out as 'intruders' here.
    HD dominates the market, HD riders dominate the ridership, HD aesthetic dominates motorcycling... to the point that non-riders see "motorcyclist" and "Harley rider" as synonymous.

ADV is a small niche, distinct from all that, in ways the very opposite of it. Some see this forum as a place where ADV riders come to be in "their" space with their own kind and talk about their special version of motorcycling.
    To them, coming to ADVrider to talk about HD is like a white guy camping on an indian reservation. He already has the rest of the country to choose from, why can't he just leave them alone on their little bit of land?
    Soon the camper starts telling how great the campsites are in the State Parks, how they have pull-thru sites, full hookups, WIFI, etc...
    The natives say, "if you're watching TV and have air conditioning, is that really 'camping'? We think your version of 'camping' misses the point. Keep your RV, we think it's a piece of junk."
    Then whitey tells them they're all just a bunch of jealous red bastards.
    The chief reminds paleface he's on their land.
    White guy says, "this is AMERICA!, I'm on AMERICA! We're all camping, why can't you respect my giant diesel-powered RV??!!"
    Chief says, "that's fine. Go park it somewhere else."
    White guy calls Chief a "hater," deploys his canopy, fires up the outdoor kitchen, and invites a bunch of his buddies to his site to watch "Flipping RVs" on the big screen.
    Chief > facepalm.

;)
  14. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    And most of the zoom-splats are not audible half a mile away!
  15. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Don't hate Harley riders. I hate IDIOTS riding Harleys! Important distinction.
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:

Good point. I measure riders by the miles they ride, the places they've been or just the sheer number of days in the saddle.

The round the world guy on a BMW, the Iron Butt rider on a Honda, or the daily commuter on a big scooter all have my respect.

I don't get the guy who says he's a rider and his bike sees the road only a few times a year and rarely more than a hundred miles.
  17. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    You forgot the "classic rock" blaring out of the RV's speakers and the barely muffled bargain basement generator blocking out all the quiet...

:kboom
  18. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Now that this has moved into being a fully fledged HD bashing thread, can't it be moved to the basement?
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fixed!
  20. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

There's a difference? :evil