XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    Show yourselfs. Heres mine with a flat about 150 miles from home.
    2000 model 4.whatever Clarke tank, custom windshield, chain guard, disk guard, heated grips, custom rack, mini boxes, twin air filter, pirelli mt 90s. Soon small taillight, smog removal, W-B e series, daves carb mods.
    [​IMG]
    N-m and zivi123 like this.
  2. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a used 2001 with about 4,700 mostly street miles. This is my first road bike. I'm riding it as much as possible during this messed up New England winter.
    This spring I will decide what mods I need to do in order to make it the perfect machine for me. So far it's already close. :wings
    JBADV likes this.
  3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Split Sole

Oddometer:
    '04 and needing a bigger tank, a better seat, and a rack. I think I have the standard carb/airbox mods done but what are daves carb mods?

[​IMG]

Hey wheelnut, why is it so clean? :lol3
  4. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    They use salt on the roads there Nut? They do here I ride 99% of the time and I spray the frame area with pam cooking spray before I ride in the wet salty mess on the roads, then spray that off like every other day. Works good for under fender area too.

Daves carb mods are here..
    http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/
    MikeR. likes this.
  5. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually that picture is one that the seller e-mailed to me while we were discussing the details of the sale. I've since changed the rear tire to a 4.50 Kenda 270.
    OnaXR - Great tip - thanks. My wife will love that I stole her Pam - I already stole the meat thermometer to check the coolant temp in the truck and the turkey baster for sucking gear oil from the rear pumpkin of the truck. :D
    Yep, she digs me.
    Scooter Addict likes this.
  6. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:

Basicly its the 55/158 jets, shimming the needle, drilling the slide, and modding the fuel mix screw. I still have to do this to my bike but I've heard its a great mod.
    I had the link up but I noticed that it had already been posted.
  7. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    First off, Its great to see this post.

I'm Chad from Wisconsin and have an 2002 XRL that I bought in November of 04 with 2K on it. 1 Year later the bike has 9700 miles on it so I think I didn't do too bad for my first year of dual sporting. My bike was bone stock when I got it and started modding it right away. I've done these mods so far.
    14/48 gearing and an x-ring chain. I'll be going back to 15/48 soon, just to try it out. Put a Moose Skid plate on, Moose barkbusters, Pro Moto Billet rack, Moose Roll Chart holder, Magellan Meridian Gold GPS on a RAM mount and Cycoactive map holder. Then did a Clarke 4.7 tank, Moose dual sport fender pack, Dirt Bike gear.com Number plate bag, Acerbis tail light, TAG CR double hi bars and some aftermarket mirrors. I've went through 3 rear Dunlop D606's and 1 D606 fron and a Pirelli MT-21 front.

This was my first DS bike and due to my lack of experience and the bikes size, it went down quite a few times. Luckily, only a couple times were hard. Usually it was just I'd get it tipped to far over to recover and lay it down quick just to pick it right back up. In June, my friends have a mountain bike race and wanted me to ride the course on my moto just to pack it down good, well, this is a tough trail and I put it down pretty hard and cracked the engine case cover with the shift lever. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the crack until I had ridden it 150 miles to a ds rally and ridden about 25 miles of ATV trails! The following morning we noticed oil on the dried mud and I checked the oil and it was a little over a quart low. ever since then its been burning oil so I'm taking it to a motor guy to see what needs to be done to it.
    Heres where I wiped out.
    [​IMG]

Heres what it normally looks like
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to get the motor fixed, a Corbin seat, and an XR's only Slip on.
    N-m, Eskapada.moto and Mottsie like this.
  8. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here's my 2001 XR650L, It's been converted to a SuperMoto. 17" Excels (stock hubs just powder coated gold), RC-51 Brake Master, Stock Caliper large rotor. Michelin Macadam Tires (not Supermoto specific but good enough for now). Big Gun Race Exhaust (Junk don't buy it!), Smog Block off, Jetted Carb (not sure what size), Skid Plate.

I've already painted the number plates BLACK (can't stand white on a bike), lost the passenger pegs, and I plan on Getting a bigger Clarke Fuel Tank in the future. Possibly a better caliper too (the Duke with it's Brembo stops better), but this is still good. I got a Polisport Supermoto Fender I'm going to install and a Acerbis Cyclope headlight as well. I know a lot of people hate that taillight but it's staying for now, I like being able to be seen from behind especially at night.
  9. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:

very sweet! I like SM's. I'm very tempted to SM mine. What paint did you use on the sidecovers? Is it holding well? Some new pix would be great!
  10. RRob

RRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my XR650L new in 2004. I did all of the standard mods: smog block off, removed air box snorkel, uni-filter, IMS tank, Dyno-jet kit, drilled carb slide, 13/47 sprockets, Big Gun pipe (ceramic coating rusted quickly)and quiet series muffler, removed rear pegs, rear fender subframe, hand guards and taillight/iicense frame, installed Acerbis taillight, homemade tag bracket, rear suspension lowering link, dipstick thermometer, folding mirrors, skid plate and Bridestone ED03/ED04's.

On order are a supermoto 17" wheel set, tires, 320mm rotor, caliper, master cylinder and front fender from Motostrano.com

The XR650L is an ugly duckling/fat pig but I love mine. Honda, street legal and immensely capable off-road: What more could you want?
  11. CoSnipe

CoSnipe Projectile manager

Oddometer:
    2001 XRL:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    OK, you gotta tell us more!
    Is that the trailtech HID?
    http://www.trailtech.net/racelight.htm
    probably not exactly dot legal eh? do ya ride on the street much?
    You obviously modded the seat. any info on that?

SWEET bike!
    rocketman1098S likes this.
  13. Off the Path

Off the Path Freedom Is Not Over Rated

Oddometer:
    I have a 2004 650L (bought new). This is my first dual sport. I've owned three XR's and a coulpe CR's previously but this is my first road legal bike. Other than racks and saddle bags, it is still stock so far. I will eventually get around to throwing some wrench time and money at it. I only have about 2,800 miles on it so far and it is beyond ready for it's forth rear tire. Being my first DS, I was shocked at the rate of wear the road has on slightly aggressive street-n-trail tire. It has a lot to do with the limited miles on the odometer thus far. As soon as I find a tire I like, I will start to bulk buying them. Other than the tire wear and sometimes being a little much to handle on the real tight trails, I am very happy with it. For some reason I actually have never taken I picture of it. Will need to put that on my list of things to do.
  14. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I'm getting around 2500+ miles out of Dunlop D606's, and they are pretty agressive. I usually pay around $55 for a rear online.
  15. Off the Path

Off the Path Freedom Is Not Over Rated

Oddometer:
    Wow, 2,500 would be great. I will take a look at them tonight before I turn in. Thank you very much.
  16. CoSnipe

CoSnipe Projectile manager

Oddometer:
    Thanks. yes I cut the seat down 2" because i didnt like the lowering link I bought,made the bike feel wrong. 4 gallon clarke tank, fmf "Q", snorkle removed , carb mods, smog shit blocked, trail tech 55w light,renthal bars,cut down front fender 2",14-48 gears,more and its a project in the works

I ride it alot,have to change gears on longer rides,but i ride it to work alot and so far no cops give me grief about the non-dot light. Its alot brighter and less goofy lookin than the stock headlight.

The seat was an easy no cost mod that I wish I did before I bought the link. A right angle die-grinder and an abrasive disc and a sharpie was all it took.Same resulting height and no loss of suspension or ground clearence which I need for log hoppin:D
  17. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some repeat pics, but here is my 1999 XR650L. For a day trip:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or set up as a poor man's Adventure Tourer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. goblin

goblin pig rider

Oddometer:
    nice light cosnipe. I've bin pondering that light for a while. Just ordered a corbin for my XRL. The bike is an 04 clark 4gal XRs only complete stainless exaust mikuni slide valve carb from xrs only 14/48 gears stainless brake lines tusk peg's renthal cr high bend bars thermo dip stick running metzler sahara tires front and rear and other stuff I just can't think of at this time. Baja desighn skid plate
  19. TREADMARKS

TREADMARKS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Clarke 4.7, RSW fork brace and top triple tree, trailtech racelight with 100/130 watt 10million cp hella clear lens, corbin seat, avons, edelbrock, stage 1 cam and WB "E" pipe with big tube header.

Currently building USD 320 17x350 SM front end.
  20. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sold my 2003 (FMF Ti-4 with Powerbomb header, K&N, re-jetted) in a fit of madness, and immediately (like, when the guy was riding off with my bike) began to miss it - after two months I went to the dealer near my dad's and plopped down for a 2006. Mods to follow. I am trying to find the part number for the exhaut system I had - I think it's the same as the XR600R.

Dukeryder - what model front brake did you get - and did you get it from Motostrano? Thanks!
    Deleted 253051 likes this.