Cleaning TE610 Bag Filters

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Ted West, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Ted West

Ted West n00b-ish

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the story behind cleaning the bag filters?

[​IMG]

They look super painful to access and, in theory anyway, you'd need a new gasket every time you clean them. Is there a good (reasonable / skinny-on-the-street) rule of thumb for how often these need to be checked? I'm guessing it's not common to open this area up every oil change is it?

Thanks.
  2. offroute

offroute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No advice, just a question. Where did the page you've inserted above come from?
  3. Ted West

Ted West n00b-ish

Oddometer:
  4. Ted West

Ted West n00b-ish

Oddometer:
    I just found this and I think it's a clue: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313025&highlight=TE+Bag+filters. I think I know how to get at these and if I'm right, you don't need to split the cover, they have their own little cover (well, at least one does). Ok, so I guess I have another question then, I changed my oil this past weekend but didn't clean the bag filters. Now I'm wondering if I can just lean the bike on its left side and pull them (it) out, clean and reinstall without losing any new oil. Any thoughts?

-Stupid in MA
  5. offroute

offroute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd hold off Ted. You'll lose a bunch of oil when cleaning them. I cleaned all of mine at around 400 miles and there was very little there. If you're not getting a bunch of metal on the mag oil plug then I'd rest easy.

Thanks for the links.
  6. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see why you would lose oil if you wish to check the accessible screen on the stator side...assuming you lay it down. The other screen on the clutch side won't have any debries but I plan on checking it every third of fourth oil change anyways...hth

Dan
  7. Ted West

Ted West n00b-ish

Oddometer:
    I'll probably give it a go. The worst that can happen is an environmental disaster turning my backyard into a Superfund Site and a trip to my dealer for more supplies. I'll keep you posted...

Thanks for the replies gentlemen :thumb
  8. losiu

losiu wheelie addict

Oddometer:
    So..... how's your backyard, TEd ?

L.
  9. Ted West

Ted West n00b-ish

Oddometer:
    The Army Corp of Engineers have taken over my entire house. My family and I now live in a trailer on the side of the road during remediation. Damn you TE bag filters!
  10. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    I've only cleaned the one on the left side two or three times now. A guy I rode with last week put off cleaning the clutch side ones until he had a new gasket on hand. He said the clutch cover gasket is very heavy duty and meant to be reused.
    He said he hardly found anything in the bag filters on the clutch side. We both have about the same miles on our 08 610's, around 26-2700. :1drink

Check out his webpage.:clap

http://www.rickramsey.net/TE610maintenance.htm
  11. Ted West

Ted West n00b-ish

Oddometer:
    Great site, thanks for posting it!
  12. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    As another anecdote, my friend with a 07 TE checked both his bag filters at about 2K and found that the right side one (in side the clutch cover) had nothing on it and didn't need to be cleaned at all, which the left side (easily accessible under it's own plate) had some junk on it.

So today when I changed oil at 2100 I cleaned the left side only. Some leftover gasket material and some metal flakes. Solvent, toothbrush, and air. Done. :thumb

Anders