High Side Crash Video - Graphic Audio

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Brakelate, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Brakelate

Brakelate Supermoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While out playing with my GoPro's at Willow Springs Kart Track, I high sided and knocked myself unconscious.

Despite walking, talking and answering questions from medical aid, I have no recollection of the crash or anything from just prior to the event, until about half way to hospital. *Consider this when dealing with the "Walking Wounded". They may appear fine, sound fine and even answer questions, but may still be in danger.

*Warning; Not Visually Graphic, but some may find the audio track entertaining, while others may find it disturbing as I apparently quit breathing for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVk7uHzPEME&feature=share&list=UUz8au9JetLW4X4F6BXM5nSA
  2. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    OUCH!

Interesting camera angle. Heal up!
  3. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a friend crash, finish a race and get life fight evac'd with no recollection of the crash. Lots of expensive testing to confirm a concussion.
  4. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you could make your post. I encourage you to take your recovery patiently because it will take a lot longer than you probably think.

Both my sons were knocked cold road racing. #1 had his in the chicane at Daytona and #2 piled into the air fence lining the NASCAR wall at Loudon.

Neither remembers anything about thier crash or even the day they had them. Both were warned against racing again for several months. After a few days, #2 thought he was feeling better. His brother told him "You won't know what feeling better is like until you really do. That is still months away".

He had that crash in July. He didn't really feel "better" until October.

So take your time and don't do anything that could result in another head blow. :deal
  5. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Seems like the safety crew did a pretty good job. I'm no racer - from that angle it's hard to tell what happened.
  6. Nacho911

Nacho911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Get better soon. Remember to get a new helmet.
    Hey the Wee dog did not even lick your face. What good was that little bugger. Good thing he did not pee on your bike:D
  7. snofrog

snofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    that sound you are making at 1:28... sadly I know that exact same sound :rofl
  8. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    glad you are okay. in the old days the docs figured you could only get permanent brain injury if you were in a coma for a while, but they know nowdays even a brief period of unconsciousness can do it.

just something to keep in mind if you find family members in a few months time saying you've changed, or find your short memory is buggered up etc. but fingers crossed all is good....
  9. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin Boxer Freak

Oddometer:
    Yowzer! Good to see you are typing at least. I have to give a +1 to the "walking wounded"! I've been on the safety crew and seen many a racer act totally fine only to collapse later, or have no recollection of what they were saying.
    Take your time, heal up, but get back on the horse. Albeit, a bit more reserved :D
  10. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Well worth noting, I knocked myself out 3 weeks ago after a tankslapper and although up and about within minutes (ribs & partially collapsed lung not withstanding) have no recollection of anything between the start of the tankslap and about 30 minutes after the crash.
    I was happy to"take it easy for a couple of minutes then I'll go out again", a night in hospital was what I actually did.

Treat anyone that crashes as potentially very ill until someone with medical knowledge says otherwise, despite what they say.

Glad you're ok!
  11. DavidBanner

DavidBanner Banned

Oddometer:
    chilling...for the lackadasical attitude of the first responders. i hope if i'm ever found lying in the road people will not take me seriously (particularly if the helmet shows clear signs of damage). you can end up very dead from not taking seriously getting your bell rung...and it won't be immediately apparent. your "taking a rest" would alarm me very much.

with no witnesses, full precautions should be the rule.

i understand that you were able to recall the president etc...but that's no iron clad guarantee that something isn't very wrong...and as you found out, you were pretty far from OK.

i'm happy you're ok, perhaps the track staff should take a refresher.

thanks for sharing this video...it is instructive of how not to deal with a rider who has crashed.

DB
  12. steve3b3

steve3b3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I corner marshal at Loudon for the LRRS races.
    It seems that we've been taking more riders into the IMC as a check on their wellness after crashes.
    At the very least, if a rider takes a nap on the track, he's taking the ride...

I wish it had happened sooner. I had two crashes while I was racing and made it to the IMC once. I got to drive myself home both times. The optometrist who un-bent my glasses after the second event commented to my wife that I didn't look well when I dropped them off. Two or three hours after I was released.

Steve
  13. Iron socks

Iron socks Son of a BSA

Oddometer:
    ughhh the groaning sound you made brought that sick to my stomach feeling i had in july 08 when i was in the fetal posision on the pavement with 2 broken vertibrae after being highsided into a chainlink fence.

heal quick:wave
  14. Deacon66

Deacon66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No kidding, the first responder was willing to take your word for it... sounded like the brains of the operation was on the other end of the radio, thank goodness for that. Scary noises coming from you immediately after the crash, glad you are on the mend. That could have been a lot worse. Cheers to good equipment.