Are you ATGATT?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Aj Mick, Aug 30, 2013.

?

Are you ATGATT?

1. Dunno, dont care. Biker gear for me.

2. Maybe a helmet, maybe not. I dress for the weather and my destination.

3. I dress for the weather and my destination, and always a helmet when on the road.

4. Usually a helmet, motorcycle jacket and gloves, but don't make a big deal about gear.

5. Most of the gear, most of the time.

6. ATGATT..... all the gear, always.

7. ATGATT plus; all the recommended gear then some.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    A perennially hot topic, so it might be an idea to see where folks are at on this apparently contentious issue.

Me, for nigh on 5 decades.... Tend to be clad for the weather and where I am going, topped off with an open faced helmet when I am on the road.

In more temperate climes that would include a jacket and gloves, but here in the tropics I just pop on a helmet and ride off.

Off road: no helmet for pottering, but helmet and a decent amount of gear if going hard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:lol3:freaky:clap:poser:jack:oscar:augie
  3. TortillaJesus

TortillaJesus Cockbag

Oddometer:
    nigh?
  4. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:
    nearly
  5. Gonzoso

Gonzoso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always wear a helmet, boots, and gloves. I usually wear a mesh jacket even when it's hot.

However I ride 6 miles to work and I often ride in shorts there, a t shirt if it's hot.

If I'm riding more than 15 minutes I wear a jacket. More than 30 kevlar padded pants or chaps.
  6. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    comfort
  7. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Minimum for around town is jeans, armored jacket, boots, gloves and a full face. Any further, the armored pants are added.
  8. Sevv

Sevv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fullface
    Leather jacket w armor
    Race gauntlets
    Kevlar jeans w knee armor
    Race boots to mid calf

Occasionally replace the foam pad in my jacket with my trackday spine protector.
  9. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I first started riding motorcycles (about 12 years ago) it was shorts, tank top, and bowl helmet (maybe DOT approved) and sneakers or hiking boots (at least I didn't wear flips). Eventually, jeans, cowboy boots or similar, tank top, open helmet. Of course this was in hot weather, in the colder weather it was the leather jacket and chaps. Finally, last year, moved to full face helmet, gloves, aerostich jacket and Macna overpants with alpinestar boots. Got the LD hot weather shorts and shirt for riding in the heat. Seems to help okay. Of course now, when I stopped anywhere, I will always get the "aren't you hot?" question. I also commute 19 miles to work daily mostly interstate so even have it on then. I'm very lucky for the long period I rode to my job with just my slacks and golf shirt on. Now, other than stopping some place on the ride home. I don't mind.
  10. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    Usually the only thing I am lax on is armored pants, if its a short ride to a job or a friends house I'll wear regular pants. When I lived in Florida on the coast I rode around a few times in shorts with no helmet along the beach at low speeds. It was nice, but I felt naked... :rofl

On trips in the summer heat, I find my mesh gear is cooler while riding and sun burns suck when you go the T-shirt and shorts route. :D

If I know I'll be off the bike a good bit, I'll just wear all leather steel toe work boots instead of my sidi onroad boots. But, thats about the same protection any way.

So, it's most of the gear most of the time. I have crashed once on pavement wearing regular jeans, they don't hold up that well. Broke one helmet, but the Tourmaster jacket and red wing boots held up fine after a 50 mph slide, I slid on my 3/4 jacket and it actually protected my skin. Thankfully I was able to keep my knees up. That crash made me appreciate my Held Steve gloves, those metal things on the palm actually work. :eek1
  11. Bazgab

Bazgab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put "most of the gear, most of the time" as I would be lying if I said ATGATT. I ride with full face helmet, textile jacket/pants combo, gloves, and boots on 99% of the time. The only time I don't wear any of this is when I am at work and need to go out to grab lunch, I will wear everything except the armored pants.
  12. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Comfort.

My ATGATT is comfortable from 20 degress to 100 degrees, sun, wind or rain.
  13. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    A bit surprising - Given that the tops seems a bit contentious, and the subject of some long running threads, I would have expected a bit more of a spread, and a few more in the helmet, jacket and gloves group. As it is with 67 votes, well over 80% wear most or all of "the gear", or more.

But then ADVrider members are probably, in general, serious about their hobby, thus likely to invest in the gear that goes with it.

Here in these tropical parts, registered motorcycles outnumber cars by about three to one. Bikes are generally seen as just a way to get around, with 95% of them being sub 1/8th litre scoots. But even among the more "serious motorcyclists" with bigger machines, you would be hard pushed to find a single ATGATT.

[​IMG]

A surprising amount of helmet compliance in the picture below.... probably a police checkpoint nearby that morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been there and elsewhere. Definitely a culture thing. And as another pointed out this particular site is going to attract those serious about the "sport" lifestyle aspect. If I lived in Thailand I might ride a scoot minus gear also. Perhaps in the future...
  15. WIDELOAD

WIDELOAD Bunburyist

Oddometer:
    It I turn left or right when leaving my home within 400 Metres either way there is no speed limit...vehicles are often travelling in excess of 100 mph...it would be more than a little foolhardy to ride with no protection.
    That said...I'm a lifetime member of the UK Motorcycle Action Group who have always fought to repeal the UK helmet law...like them I consider it the riders choice :thumb
  16. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    +1
  17. Prettyboy

Prettyboy I drink and I know things

Oddometer:
    I don't always put on MC specific pants if I'm just going around town at low speeds. Haven't gotten MC boots yet, but they're on the list.
  18. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Tell me what you prefer to wear.
  19. Homey

Homey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You only need ATGATT if you fall off. Don't fall off and you don't need it. :evil On my commute I'm in jacket, helmet, gloves and boots but if I'm carving canyons it's full leathers...
  20. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Here's a Motorcycle Safety website someone shared with me.

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/default.asp

As it was presented to me, this site is administered by a fellow who has made a career as an "expert witness" presenting motorcycle collision facts as evidence in court cases.

There is a wealth of research available here for reference regarding gear, statistics, and more, as well as things that can be done to reduce risk.

Something for any rider who is interested in bettering their chances.

Enjoy.