Bike hunting in Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pdedse, Nov 2, 2012.

1. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    995 Dollars o 995mil colones? Colones I assume, Felicidades! The marchama and rtv are all taken care of?
    I'm hoping to buy my ticket as soon as the taca website is working again (free millas), trying for first week of Feb and a little more. My bike is in E San Isidro, going to find the hard trails near Chirripo this time. I'll rent a cell and give you my # though here or shoot me your email if you want to meet up down there...
    p.s. new law says you have to wear the safety orange in the daytime now too.
  2. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    5 times! My hat's off to you...that's a long way up. And absolutely true...I thought we might camp in Corcovado, but turns out I didn't even need it. Instead we spent 2 nites in a canvas cabina overlooking the beach...with cold cervezas and fresh cooked meals...for about $40us a nite, as I recall....the road out to Carate had a half dozen water crossings, and then about a mile and a half hike in along the beach...
  3. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    $995...dollars? I wish, no the total was 995,000 colones which is about $1990, but that does include marchama, rtv, for 2013, AND most importantly for me, they will deliver from San José to Pérez-Zeledón, about 3 hours away, right to my sis in law's house. In fact, they are delivering it tomorrow.

I'll be heading for Chirripó on the bike, and then hoping to hike it again. I'll buy a cell when I get down there, but I'll contact you to show off the new bike if you'd like.:wink:

The safety orange...the slip over thingy? Daytime as well, huh? CR is becoming too safe!
  4. pdedse

Oddometer:
    5 times over the span of 15 years, so it didn't seem like that often. I lived there for 2 plus years and then on and off again for about another year total, visiting lots of times in between so I had the opportunity. Now I'll be down there with a study abroad group for 6 weeks and there's a good chance it will be yearly thing.
  5. pdedse

Oddometer:
    A few more photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine will have more knobby tires installed, and it should be arriving in PZ this afternoon. Kind of strange, yet exciting, to buy a bike that I've never thrown a leg over...I imagine it's akin to a mail-order-bride experience.
    :eek1
  6. pdedse

Oddometer:
    My sis in law emailed me and says the bike got from San José to where she lives (Pérez-Zeledón) just fine. Says it rides real nice (I think she's joking about that part). Trip begins in two weeks, but at least the bike is in place. Start of rr:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854572