SF Bay Area: I'll be talking about lane splitting on TV this weekend

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Surj, May 10, 2013.

1. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    I'm representing LaneSplittingIsLegal.com (I run the site) on ABC 7's "Beyond the Headlines" this Sunday at 10 AM, talking about lane splitting, sharing the road, moto safety, etc. The CHP, Walk SF and the SF Bike Coalition will also be on the show. Tune in and check it out! It'll be good for a laugh, if nothing else. Never mind all that Mother's Day stuff, right?

[​IMG]
  2. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    This is a very good thing. Good on ya for getting on board. I notice not many of the ADV crowd could give a Rat's Ass about this issue as NO ONE
    has responded with support.

Remember guys ... when Lane Splitting goes away, you'll know who to blame! :huh

In addition to safety issues I'm hoping you get time to bring up all the BENEFITS motorcycles bring to Bay Area commuters and society in general.

Many years ago Cal Trans and other agencies supported MC commuters, siting the below issues, confirming bikes were easy on the environment and would ease congestion. What happened?

In recent years these same agencies have PULLED BACK support for riders.
    I would ASK WHY they are not 100% on board with us ... remind them of the issues I've sited below and ask why all they do is give LIP SERVICE. This is a no brainer ... a Win Win for everyone.

A few points to bring up:

1. Virtually negligible damage to the roadway from motorcycles.
    2. Generally very low fuel use ... 45 to 65 MPG if you average out all bikes.
    3. Modern bikes produce very low emissions. (Please don't mention vintage HD's! :D)
    4. 4 bikes to ONE parking space.
    5. Bikes reduce congestion on the Freeway and in The City
    6. San Francisco has the highest number of motorcycle commuters in the nation. (this according to a study done by City Bike years ago)
    7. Lane Splitting means EVERYONE gets to work sooner.

Good luck with the show. I hope they don't bo-guard your air time and you have the chance to say what needs to be said in this matter.

City Bike fought with Cal Trans, CHP and the City and County of SF for decades. (I am a former contributor to CB, when Brian Halton was publisher). They gave lots of Lip Service ... and it was City Bike that forced The City to install the hundreds of MC parking in the financial district ... which was mandated to be FREE. Not any more! WHY? Don't they want to
    encourage people to RIDE TO WORK?

Good Luck!
  3. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    Still wrong. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878095)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861434

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831278

The ADV West subforum is usually slow on weekends and if you take a moment to think it through, it makes sense. Beyond that, why continue to post your misinformation and disapproval?

4. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Back to Trolling again eh? Mods will get another notice about you.

Misinformation and disapproval? Are you not in support of the points I made about motorcycles, lane splitting and traffic? BTW, do you commute daily to San Francisco? Or anywhere? Uh huh. :norton

Hey Einstein, why don't you go Troll on some other thread? You totally derailed Mario's Marin riders thread. You posted an absurd Video of a fucking Movie crew? What was that about genius? NO relevance to what we were talking about.

BTW, i've been on two of Mootuno's rides. Where were you? (not the Mendo rally)

I helped cover Lane Splitting, MC Parking and Safety for City Bike for about 20 years. Were you riding 20 year ago?

If you have something POSITIVE and smart :lol3 to contribute here .... lets hear it. Otherwise, STFU!
  5. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    Again, this thread is about lane splitting, not your misinformation and disapproval.

6. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    k.l., what has grifter said that is misinformtion and/or what has he disapproved of?

I'm with him, STFU.

Good luck on TV tomorrow Hooligan!
  7. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    Answer or STFU? Read the links and get back to me if you still don't understand.

8. mototifosi

mototifosi What does this one do?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking on this issue! It is a "gift" to be able to lane split. We have to promote this in a safe way to the cagers. As I understand it Cal might be the only state that allows it.

Thank you for spearheading and I will be watching!

Good on ya mate,
    Cheers,
  9. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    K.l., I spent about 20 minutes reading up on all of this before I chimed in. Some of these links I had read before, but again, what misinformation? What disapproval? If you have a gripe or complaint, state it. Links aren't getting it done.
  10. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    I had no idea this was such a touchy subject 'round here. :rofl

Anyway, thanks y'all.
  11. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    And here's the video. Huge thanks to Rod for getting me this file. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1DP--L-edRg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    Nicely done, Surj. Keep up the good work!

You need a reiteration of what’s posted above? (Sorry, Surj…)
    Misinformation and disapproval have become recurring themes in ADVgrifter’s posts and they resurfaced in his first post in this thread:
    “I notice not many of the ADV crowd could give a Rat's Ass about this issue as NO ONE has responded with support.”
    To which I explained that weekends can be slow in the West subforum and posted links where he could bring himself up to speed with ADV discussions and support for lane splitting. Despite that, and my supportive lane splitting posts within those threads, he posted:
    “Are you not in support of the points I made about motorcycles, lane splitting and traffic?” :fpalm

Then there’s his uninformed off-topic personal attacks :ban with accusations of trolling, being a non-commuter, not riding with Mootsuno, not riding 20 years ago, being a thread derailer, not being smart enough to meet his unspoken IQ requirement, being irrelevant and outing himself as a tattle tale. Sound familiar? It’s all just a few posts above this one.

For more examples of ADVgrifter’s misinformation and disapproval read the link supplied above in parentheses. That’s where he encouraged a rider looking for dualsport rides to join him in “all pavement” public road “race”, risking antagonizing drivers further against motorcycles and lane splitting’s legal status. :norton He also erroneously claimed that a 50 person local dualsport rally he’s never attended has “hundreds of people, motorhomes/trailers”, “hundreds of NOOB riders” and that it’s a “Cluster f*#@K”. Now he’s added more misinformation and disapproval about my earlier suggestion that the guy looking to dualsport go ride the Flynn Creek Road area. ADVgrifter didn't know there's accessible dirt there, so it's "irrelevant"? :norton

It’s okay not to know people, places and events, but it’s not okay for ADVgrifter to make stuff up about them, post it as ‘fact’, misrepresent being corrected as being ”stalk[ed]”, make personal attacks in retaliation and then whine to the mods as though he’s a victim. His victim fantasies even extend to his stated location: “Passing ADV stalkers on the inside” indicating more lane splitting endangerment. :norton

No worries if you still don’t understand ADVgrifter’s trend for misinformation and disapproval. I don’t understand why he’s gone out of his way to destroy his credibility, either; especially regarding things so many people know him to be wrong about. I can live with the mystery, though. :lol3
  13. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Thank you! :D
  14. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were talking about this this weekend. People from out of state
    commented on how much more people in California seemed to be
    aware of motorcycle riders here than elsewhere.
  15. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    We are kinda spoiled here. Awesome roads, drivers see us sometimes. What more could you ask for? :D
  16. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the effort!!!
  17. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :D
  18. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    SFH,

Have you heard anything new about the Berkeley safety study? Are there any preliminary results? Have they settled on a release date yet?
  19. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Last time I checked in with them, they told me they are "conducting a study in collaboration with CHP that is collecting supplemental information during the investigation of motorcycle collisions in California between August 1 2012 and July 31 2013. We will issue a report in the fall." So we've got a little while to go on that one.

However, I just checked in with my contact at OTS, and I understand the updated awareness survey should be out shortly. The 2012 study is on this page, "Motorcycle Lane Share Study Among California Motorcyclists and Drivers 2012 (PDF)."
  20. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :thumb