brisbane to port macquarie

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mickd, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    HI ALL
    Well ive got loads of time on my hands at the moment,all ive got to do is wait for some pannier racks to come and then i will be on my way for a few nights away,anyway as you can see by the title i will be going from brisbane,now do i just go down the freeway and have a look around as you go,and then go inland on the way back? problem with this is i dont like freeways:eek1 more off road the better,but i will be on my own

what i need to know is whats worth having a look at, and can anyone recommend places to stay that the bike will be safe at night,i will not be camping for this trip,its a bit too warm at the mo:D ie B&B,hotel,motel etc

i hope a week away should be about right:freaky

any maps etc feel free to put up
  2. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    Include this bit:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Armidale-Kempsey+Rd&amp;daddr=River+St&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=Ff9aLv4dqk8QCQ%3BFWMNJv4dYK4bCQ&amp;sll=-31.066095,152.800426&amp;sspn=0.049185,0.089607&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;mra=me&amp;mrsp=1,0&amp;sz=14&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=-30.78856,152.43611&amp;spn=0.049185,0.089607&amp;t=m&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Armidale-Kempsey+Rd&amp;daddr=River+St&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=Ff9aLv4dqk8QCQ%3BFWMNJv4dYK4bCQ&amp;sll=-31.066095,152.800426&amp;sspn=0.049185,0.089607&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;mra=me&amp;mrsp=1,0&amp;sz=14&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=-30.78856,152.43611&amp;spn=0.049185,0.089607&amp;t=m" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
  3. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    P.M. Me and I will take you to my "Special Place" if its on the weekend :strum
    I am inland from Port Mac.
  4. greendude

greendude Long timer

Oddometer:
    head south through beudesert rathdowney woodenbong nice.nimbin,s a bit different or avoid it altogether
    old grafton to glenn innes road more fun east to west
    wollonmombi to kempsey also good
    when you get to pt maquarie dont forget to ride to the walcha cafe and back along the oxley hwy
  5. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    by road, down lindsay highway, rathdowny, urbenville, woodenbong, to tabulum
    bruxner to tenterfield
    um, new england highway to glen innes, turn left, gwyder highway to grafton,
    grafton go down nymboida rd, to ebor, then do the water fall way to coffs harbour.

i guess you can then back track via water fall way, and do the old kempsey road, long dirt road half way between coffs and armidale, that will take you to kempsey, then your almost in port maquarie, might as well do the oxley highway then too.:clap
  6. hendoABC

hendoABC Banned

Oddometer:
  7. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    I'm similar to Storm Shadow, I'd go down the Mt Lindsay H/way to Woodenbong, then to tabulum, Drake then Rocky River Rd (Gravel) to Tenerfield. The Tenterfield Tavern has lock up garages with the rooms IIRC, if you choose T/field as an overnight stop.

You can take gravel roads from T/field to Glen Innes to the East and West of the New England h/way, but I don't want to be responsible for getting you lost:wink: so I'll suggest the h/way, but if you want gravel to G.I. you leave town on the Scrub road (South-East) or Mt Mckenzie Rd (South-West) both options involve a few turn offs and I cannot remmber the names of the roads off the top of my head.

G.I. to Grafton on the old Grafton Rd (mostly gravel). Grafton - Nymboyda - Ebor (bitumen), then down the Armidale-Kempsey Rd (gravel) to Belbrook then Kempsey - Port Macquarie.
  8. Kempseyboy

Kempseyboy n00b

Oddometer:
    Rockhampton, Central Queensland, Australia
    When you are nearing kempsey turn off to South west rocks, check out the old 1800's prison at Laggers Point, a trip up to Bellbrook for a beer at the pub. right keep heading up the river turn left at the new England highway, check out the Wollomombi Falls, keeping going south turn onto the Oxley highway and finish at Port.
  9. excTC

excTC Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer:
    Mick what bike are you riding
  10. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:

why do you ask? well it could be...

660z tenere
    triumph 800xc
    tenere 1200
  11. excTC

excTC Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer:
    Wondered if you had got into a new bike.
  12. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your as bad as i am with bikes mick :D except i loose money on them all the time
  13. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    oh i doooo loose money on them:evil well some times:lol3 ive gone off the idea of a 690,so ive started looking for a bike more road than off road,but i still need to go off road from time to time thats why i am looking at the xc800 or the super ten,
  14. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mick - you don't want an S10 as they are too good and you will have nothing too complain about :wink: get a 1200 Explorer instead, test ride out at Wivenhoe dam by Team moto weekend after this. I am going out to ride one so I can see how much better my S10 is :lol3
    Cheers Rick
  15. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    any one know of any good deals at the moment on the 1200's or the 800xc :evil b4 i go looking around
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    No deals on the Triumphs for obvious reasons and I would presume Yamaha would be playing a possible lower price/let's do a deal to lure possible buyers away from Triumph.

Have seen a couple of very good low klm ST1200s in shops now though.

When are you looking at getting the bike sorted and heading off, early June?
  17. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    going for a test ride on both bikes soon,as for a date:dunno