Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Yellow Iron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,983
GSA GPS Im lost

I have the BMW GPS on my 09 GSA

I feel im not using it to its fullest. I just started running Basecamp.
Any tips for this thing.
Another PITA for this thing is dismounting it to plug into it and it still has to get power from the bike. I bought the bike used and it didn't come with any GPS info. I guess its the same as a Streetpilot Gariman.

any info would be helpful
Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
There is a GPS forum here you know?

Your GPS unit is all about routes.

I don’t have Basecamp so I can’t help you with that. But the easiest thing to do is just make a route up with Basecamp and downloaded to your GPS unit.
However, I like auto routing better. It is more flexible then a dedicated route but it is also more work to set up.
I have avoid U turns checked. This tends to make the unit route me in the direction I am traveling
I’ll make a route up in mapSource, look at it and pick points along it that I feel I absolute want to get too and auto route to them.
This way I am not tied to my proposed route. I can choose the roads I want to ride as I go. All my Zumo does is tell me very quickly whether or not the road I have chosen can get me to my target.
I find it a lot of fun to ride this way. And I am always finding new roads and routes to ride.
2009, I suspect your unit is a Zumo 550. I power mine with a short power cord from the cradle to an accessory port on the beak. This way I can unplug the unit easily, removing the power cord, cradle and GPS as one package from the bike.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 456
Basecamp is a fairly easy program to pick up. Do you have some GPS experience or is this your first time plying with one? You can also do a search on the net for a manual in PDF format. I would imagine you could find something.
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Yellow Iron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys .
Here is what I guess my problem is . Im putting together a 300 mile run. Ive messed around with base camp a wile now. If im mapping a route and the thing auto routes me on a highway and I erase it it wants to start a new route.

When I load the routes in the GPS its does not show up in favorites or recently found but somewhere elese.

A guy I ride with has been running a small unit and has banked about 3 years of routes. We were out riding and wanted to hit a restaurant we stopped at once. All he did was two pushes of a button and there was the route. He is the one who turned me on to basecamp. I have some restaurants saved but not 3 years of them. Mine show up as waypoints.
I just think this thing has got to do more Ill poke around at garmin all they want to do is sell new units
Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
Yellow Iron, maybe if you can specifically figure out what you want to do, we can help you. I had a hell of a steep learning curve with GPS but now I feel I can pretty much make those things sing and dance. I'll tell ya one thing, I don't really use base camp. I've tried it but I think it sucks. I go into Google Maps and then use My Places, Create Map. Then you can set up your departure and destination points, and click and drag the route to go wherever you want it in between. I think you get about 15 points to edit, so on a multiple day trip I use a different route for each day. Then I use this... http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input to convert the google maps link to a .GPX file. From there you can either import that file into basecamp to load into the GPS or some do it directly through google maps although I've never had success getting my Zumo to talk to Google maps directly in that manner.

As for your question about getting that reroute, if you are on a pre loaded route and you get off that route, it will try to the take you to the destination via the quickest route, which is probably not what you had loaded. So say you divert off your route to get lunch or something, then just go back to "routes" menu and re load your route, and then go to the map and move the cursor to the route line a couple miles on down the road, and click then let it take you there, and it will re-join your route at that point. If you really confuse your GPS which is not that hard to do, you might have to do this more than once to get back on your route, but it will work.

As for your pre loaded routes, they should show up in a menu called "routes". Your pre loaded points of interest should show up in "favorites".
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
You should be able to find a manual here: Garmin Manuals. You will have to do a search to find your exact model - if you have an older model you may have to select "Discontinued" under "subcategory".

Play with your unit. You can't break it. They aren't perfect especially in the re-routing part. Some units have preferences on what to avoid, highways etc. which play a part on how the unit reacts when you are on an active route.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Iron View Post
When I load the routes in the GPS its does not show up in favorites or recently found but somewhere elese.
Favorites and recently found store Points not routes. You have a Route folder and that is where your stored routes are found. The route folder should be on the same page as Favorites and recently found. It may be a page away.
There is an up/down arrow at the bottom of the screen. You scroll between pages

You can save a ride as a route, try that.
Go for a ride, then on the home page (Where to? View Map) there is an icon of a wrench, press that.
You will see a list of folders (BTW you need to look all these folders over). Press on User Data, Then manage Trip Log. There you will be able to save your Trip Log as a route.
Hey, it took me a while to figure this thing out but it was worth the effort.
You need to figure out what unit you have and get a manual. That will help some

BTW, you have registered the unit with Garmin? If not, you want to do that.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 06:56 PM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Yellow Iron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well I schooled myself on basecamp and Garmin.
I had to delete everything on the gps and basecamp. I can do routes now and set up locations I want. I can even change the Icons that appear on the GPS unit.

Yellow Iron screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 05:58 PM
Yellow Iron is offline   Reply With Quote