Scotts damper relocation on an LC4E?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by flux_capacitor, Jan 10, 2008.

1. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I searched the thread index to death and still cannot determine if what I want to do is possible.

I currently have a Scotts damper on my 02 LC4E using the over bar mount and weld on tower.

Is it possible to get or use an under bar mount that will utilize the current welded on tower?

I need some bar risers bad but don't want to give up my damper, and I don't know anyone that can weld... Yes, I tried some taller bars (Pro Taper ATV highs) but it doesn't do very much.

Any thoughts and opinions welcome. You can even call me names if you want to! :lol3

Thanks!
  2. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    You need to measure some stuff up to see where you're at, and where you want to be.

You could cut down the tower, and use a shorter pin to do the underbar damper. The alternative is to get a longer pin, but that creates some other issues.

Measure it up and see if underbar mounts are available for that Scotts. They are pretty easy to talk to on the phone, too.
  3. biff10

biff10 Guest

I was on jeff emigs page the other day he may have what you need. Alot of cool stuff there.
  4. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
  5. halfcab

halfcab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got finish installing a Scott's under bar with a weld on tower on my 01 LC4-E last night. I had to cut the short weld-on tower down so much that I had to ream the pin hole deeper.

All of Scotts under bar mounts come with the clamp on tower.

The clamp-on towers are much, much easer to install, plus they look nicer.
  6. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to have a photo of that? I haven't seen an over the bar mount in a long time.
  7. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    i want so bad to call you names, but this is probably not a good idea when i try to extol the virtues of my under bar damper mounts.

to answer questions...

yes it is possible to take your existing damper and mount it under bar with your existing tower. here's how my mount works... a picture is worth a thousand words.

[​IMG]

this bike had an above bar mount. i removed it. installed my mount. flipped the damper around. flipped the lever arm on damper 180 degrees. chopped 31.5mm off the existing tower (measure twice, cut once ;wink ) ... andeverything works out well. have done this for a couple dozen customers.

the resulting rise in bar height is 31.5... and you dont blast yourself in the nuts with your damper if you make a boo boo.

pop me a pm if you've got any questions. don't want to get this kicked into the vendor forum.
  8. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:

Ditto, have a Emig under the bar mounted stabilizer on the 07 640A I am working on right now, it's a really nice set up. Would post a pic, but no smug mug. However it would be easy enough to alter the weld on mount you have now by shortening it, re-welding it and then all you would need is the under bar riser with incorporated stabilizer mount such as Emigs.