Keep seeing CA plated 450X's

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Rick6, Jun 12, 2013.

1. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

Or a pair of roller skates in AZ. :rofl

There are LOTS of AZ plates here in Cali too. Comes with their own risks and hassles. Best bet is to get a AZ drivers license and register it with a friend or relative's address over there. If you get stopped here you're 'just visiting'. If you have a CA drivers licensed you'll get a fix it ticket to transfer to CA within 15 days. You need liability insurance to ride on the road as well - also gets sticky with AZ registeries for CA residents.
  2. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    1. Glad you figured it out.

2. im also glad you are keeping the Budwieser for yourself.

Good luck in your search for a plated KTM.
  3. Rags

Rags Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe there was a plated 450X sitting on the lot at BMW motorcycles of Riverside a couple of days ago. Used, for sale.
  4. Rick6

Rick6 Budweiser Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Me too. The opinions here line up with the opinions I got elsewhere.
    Possible (or likely if persistent) to plate? Yes.
    Sketchy? Definitely. And no fool-proof way to say they won't pop you year after year. And you'll stand out.

Guess pretty soon I'll be ditching the Budweiser and sipping Blue Label with the rest of the KTM gentlemen :lol3

I looked at their online inventory (just curious), and it isn't listed. Once they sell it they're going to find a way to wash their hands of responsibility if the plate gets yanked, I'm sure.
  5. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy who registered his business in the state of Montana. The business owns some interesting vehicles. One of them is a 2012 KTM 250XC-W that has been converted for street use. Yep, a two-stroke streetbike! He doesn't abuse it, though. You won't find him riding around his local community on that bike with the Montana plate. It's just to keep the police from looking twice if he has to connect trails with some pavement.
  6. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    I call urban myth.
    You can not have two driver's licenses....(it even looks funny spelled plural), but this is 'Merica goldamit! You can buy something in any state and register it there, you may or may not have a vacation home there, a relative, something that justifies having a bike in that state but whose business is that? When it's in Ca it's "just visiting"
  7. browneye

Oddometer:
    The ones I know of only have a AZ drivers license. If stopped in CA they are 'just visiting'.

If you have a CA DL and CA address and 'own' a motorcycle registered in AZ you'll get a fix-it ticket to transfer registration to CA within 15 days - state law.

It's all bullshit I know. Most of us just say fuck it and get a CA plated bike. End of issue. :deal
  8. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    AAA (in OC) did a VIN inspection/transfer on an old street bike I shipped in last year from the midwest. It is/was street legal. They do it all day long.

Not sure why they wouldn't do the same with a plated 450X unless the VIN flagged it as OHV-only.

edit: By the way, I read in this month's Westways magazine, that AAA is now able to issue green/red stickers as well.
  9. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Per the last line,
    Couldn't have said it better myself, Brownie.
  10. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    It's about money really... a CA plated bike can be very expensive... especially if it's factory plated... especially if you want a newer model. And if you are a 2-smoke lubber forget it.

My AZ bike stays in AZ most of the time of course... :evil

It's a 2011 350SXF converted for mostly mountain goat use... Bike lightly used about $4K... new $6k. I know 350EXCs on the road that spilt $12k plus of blood.

Thats enough motivation to consider your grandma's spare bedroom as your semi-permanent vacation residence.
  11. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    It _is_ possible to get green sticker bikes legally plated, and I know someone who did this on a 450X and CRFF230 both. There is a certain shop in CA, that has worked out the hassled of dealing directly with CARB, and they basically get your bike re-certified with CARB. You even end up with a new VIN when it's all over. Problem is, it is about $2000 at the shop, plus figure $500 for complete switchgear, lights and all the trimmings to meet the letter of the law.

The short of it is that it's not going to save you anything over buying a KTM, but if for some reason you're set on a Honda, it's possible to do. Also, the shop can only do a fairly low amount per year, so if it's not early in the year, you're probably waiting till the next.
  12. Rick6

Oddometer:
    Bought it!
    2007 450 EXC
    2200 miles
    83 hours

:nod :nod :nod :nod :nod :nod :nod :nod :nod :nod :nod :nod

[​IMG]
  13. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Its pretty funny that the biggest section of orange left is is the shock spring.:lol3
  14. Rick6

Oddometer:
    Haha, I know. I do like all-black so I'll probably leave it for a bit, but I have the stock plastics in case I want to switch over.
  15. browneye

Oddometer:
    Excellent bike, however it's not a 450x and it is CARB legal for hiway licensing. You can find this model in their list for 2007 motorcycles. I had the 250xcfw in that year. Outstanding trailbike. NOT plate-able, so I sold it.

IMO it's a better bike than the 525 unless you're an expert, a racer, or 6' and over 200lbs. The 450 has less flywheel enertia so they turn easier, feel lighter, and are less fatiguing over a day of riding. Also much more well engineered than the honda, more durable. :clap

EDIT: I like black plastics too, but would put the 'factory black' shroud decals on it. With nothing it looks unfinished. Or is that an oversized tank - one you can't put decals on?
  16. Rick6

Oddometer:
    I actually am over 6 foot and 200 pounds (6'1, 230), but from everything I gathered the bike is exactly like you said: feels lighter and more nimble over the day. Even though there's lots of desert not too far, I'm mostly sticking to mountain and fire-road type trails. I'll do anything, I just think those are more fun... y'know... actually seeing something except sand. If I were more interested in the desert I would have gone with the bigger bike :D

It is an oversized tank :clap
  17. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, you finally took my advice and gave up on the stupid Honda 450x idea. Now that you did exactly what I told you to do in post # 2, where's my beer?
  18. browneye

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I gotta start demanding beers as well. :lol3

:freaky
  19. Falconfixer

Falconfixer It is what it is....

Oddometer:
    As soon I get back home to the states I think my next toy will be a plated 450X. I have two Honda XR's that I plated last year, with zero legal issues. And I also just helped plate my buddy's 2005 WR450 about two months ago. As much as I hate living in Las Vegas, I'm glad they don't have the BS restrictions that you have to deal with in CA, like the 7500 mile rule, and emissions laws for bikes. Enjoy the new bike Rick. Now how much beer will it take to get you to paint it red to piss off the hardcore KTM guys?
  20. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]