Lock up your grandmothers

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by McCardigan, Aug 20, 2012.

1. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    Evening Marc,

Just back in coverage at National Park attending the annual BMW NZ rally.

All I can say, is get yourself over here, and anyone else who want's to experience some unbelievable country, that is usually off limits to the public.

I'm talking of the NZ Army base at Wiaouru, in the middle of the North Island, its a high desert,Alpine area that covers about 160,000 acres!

It where you can fire some serious artillary shells,(155mm) over 35k's and not hurt anyone!! The Singaporen Army are down here for their annual manoverours.

This area has everything, from hardcore enduro riding to interesting gravel roads, to serious sand, which we found out today.

Have just spent 3 days doing some off road, I was part of the easy group, the crusiers,no 3, then there was the Sly Dogs, no2, and then there was the hard core.

Everyone's limit was catered for.

It was one of my all time rides:clap:clap:clap

Lots of photos to follow.
  2. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:

looking forward to um Chris :clap
  3. Ozracer

Ozracer Auspommie

Oddometer:
    Hi Chris
    NZ is on my bucket list.
    BTW Never complain about the rain, today its been 41c and leaving work this arvo the car's temp was showimg 44c. F#$cking HOT!!!!!:knary. Still about 35c
  4. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    and santas arriving as well wearing a batman t shirt
  5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I knew this was going to happen. Move right along, nothing to see here. A few rocks, a bit of sand, I mean gravel and more rocks, some green painted vehicles and that was about it, pretty barren really. No need to leave Australia. :lol3
  6. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    I`m not game to come back, might get arrested when I leave the plane. :norton
  7. Dave Ward

Dave Ward I don't even know where the box is.

Oddometer:

Bloody refugees.....

:hide
  8. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris :wave

Thanks for the pics and words so far...

but that is a long time back now - stop all the excuses about bad weather and no reception and get typing again with more great pics :ddog

Anyway... enjoy the ride :D
    Cheers, Dorthe.
  9. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Just saw Chris again yesterday, some more sidestand strengthening was completed & he was sent on his merry way south. I think him & Oscar are staying with 4Skins tonight, that could get messy :freakyLuckily he had taken our advice NOT to book the early ferry south after enjoying John & Jan's hospitality:D. Planning to catch up again for an expedition into the Clarence next weekend.

Cheers
    Clint
  10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Chris has just completed his tour of duty at an undisclosed location in Afghanistan. Rumors have it that his has been riding reconnaissance for the Special Airhead Service (SAS). :eek1

[​IMG]
  11. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    LOL! thanks Alex for the photo.

I'm slowly getting the PC back up and running,it had totally crashed, but thanks to a couple of IT guru's at the National BMW NZ rally lst weekend they managed to reboot the pc
    Still have lost a couple of functions, Skype, etc.

Looked at the predicted weather coming from the south and made a beeline to Wellington to try and get the 8.00pm crossing on Monday night on standby, no luck, left yesterday morning and did the Molesworth yesterday a/noon in perfect weather conditions, better then last Saturday when I flew around the Tongariro NP.

About to leave Hanmer Springs for CC as I wait for the cold front to pass through on the West Coast, then follow it, back to Hanmer Springs and then up the Rainbow to Nelson.

Hope to start getting some photo's up in the next 24hrs as I sit out the expected 100mm+ rain and 120kph winds forcast for this part of the world:eek1
  12. cooneyr

cooneyr terra firma rider

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris check out this before you leave to do the rainbow. http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...marlborough/rainbow-road-upper-wairau-valley/

I can't get the page to to work right now but my wife said that there is a big slip down just south of the sedgemere huts that has closed the road. Ring doc at south Marlborough if want to double check.

cheers r
  13. Cromagnon

Cromagnon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tried to go through rainbow over the weekend just been. There were a few smaller slips that we were able to navigate, however there was a BIG slip just north of the coldwater doc campsite. The dozer arrived to fix the slip while we were there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As R said, best to check with the Malborough doc office first... Apologies for the big photos.
  14. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Hi Chris, hope you're enjoying it down there, gotta love a run through the Molesworth on a nice day.

Have a look at the adventure guide info page on Edwards Pass & get the lock combo off DOC before you head through the Rainbow. It's a neat side trip.

I'm all set to head to Welly tomorrow & catch you in Picton Saturday. Should be rolling off the Bluebridge Santa Regina just before midday.

Cheers
    Clint
  15. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    Keep that up and I'll take all the Handorf Dark Chilli Chocolate out of the tankbag on the F800GS:eek1:eek1:eek1

PS About to start sending a few photos, I'm back in Hanmer Springs and things are looking good, just uploaded a couple of photo's successfully to SmugMug:clap

PS The F800GS has just had new steering head bearings fitted, Hilly reckons its all right to ride now, he has been test riding it while his 950 awaits a new motor:eek1
  16. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    Have arrived back in Hanmer Springs, they had some serious wind and rain last night. I'll still give the Rainbow a crack tomorrow, provided its not raining:cry, if its blocked no worries, I'll just return to HP, thank god for a 33 lt tank with over 550kms range.

Now yesterday was a very sad day for me. No it was not the forced donation to the policemans Teddy Bear picnic:evil
    [​IMG]

But the severe shock of the loss of one of my all time favourite pubs.
    Had rang the pub in CC to make a booking for last night, number is not connected???

Anyway I rode over to the Banks Peninsula to come down the hill to find this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SOB, the beautiful historic Duvachelle, one of the oldest in NZ was no more:cry:cry. The bloody eathquake had destoyed it. I was mortified ended staying in Akaroa, and had a magnificent Thai dinner at La Thai on the waterfront.

As for my donation to NZ finest, I'm not worried. It goes with the job as an occupational hazard, and I figure that as I'm averaging over 60,000kms per year, and have done so, for many years, and my last donation was about 4or 5 years ago, I'm way in front:clap

He was travelling towards me on SH7 near Culverdon, came around a sweeping corner, and had me pinged before I relaised it was a Hwy patol , estimated distance was about 500mts, even a radar detector would not have saved me. I was the only vehicle on the road, so I pulled into a side road and awaited him. His opening statement was I have just detected you travelling at 113kph, what do you say about that? I replied that I watch the road ahead of me not the speedo, its much safer! and if you say so, no worries, I accept, I think it took him back somewhat, he asked if I wanted to check the radar reading, I said no thanks, I take it you know your job. Back he goes to his car with my Aussie licence, after a few minutes returns with a ticket for $80NZ, wonder why he didn't cut me some slack:wink: and knock it back to under 110, poor form I say!

Hey, its just a game, some you win some you lose, I spend almost $80NZ filling my 33lt tank almost every day. Wont change my riding ways, I will still travell at about 110kph, no way will I sit in a line of vehicles unless there are double lines, from experince way to dangerous, if I can't see whats in front of me.

anyway I'm back up and running hopefully with my PC.
    I'm buying a Apple when I get back to Oz.
  17. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    The mighty magical marveless Molesworth. Still one of my finest gravel roads anywhere in the world, although there may be better roads in South America, looking at some photos.
    One of the starts on the road coming out of Blenhem along Taylors Pass rd
    [​IMG]
    The start of the road follows the Awatere valley, lots of vine yards
    [​IMG]

And the good lord said, I have unlocked the gate, and you may proceed:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But proceed with caution
    [​IMG]
  18. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    re the ticket you could always right in and say you were to pissed from the night before to read the speedo and thats why you were trying to focus on the road. :D:rofl:rofl
  19. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Chris I love your style - the prose, self deprecating humour and the pics

Was good to see you again at the Outer Limits Tussock Adventure

Cheers S
  20. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    G/day Steve

Acutually I did have a very good excuse, the speedo needle has been broken since the Motu ride, but I thought I might just let that slip through to the wicket keeper. A mean mother may have just slapped a canary on the bike to get some satisfaction.:D

Surprisingly, he did not breath test me. In Oz its the 1st thing they do if you get pulled over for whatever reason, then a licence check. Would not have worried me anyway and it was only 10.00am!