Fuel Gauge Problem R1200GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by BigBlue, Jun 8, 2007.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a new 07 R1200GSA about 2 weeks ago, the fuel gauge was not working and was registering empty on the digital bar display. I arranged with the dealer to have it repaired at it's first service. The service was completed yesterday and a new fuel gauge sender unit installed. The bike was fully fuelled and registered full on the digital bar display. The top half not having gaps between the bars only a smaller thinner bar. I did just over 100 miles and it still showed full until I got home, turned the engine off, gave the tank a shake then turned the ignition back on. It is now showing half full and down to bars with the gap between them. Is this normal? Do I still have a fuel gauge problem or has it now rectified itself by the float relasing itself if it was stuck? Has anyone else had this problem and should I be straight back to my dealer. Sorry this has been a bit long winded.

PS I love the bike otherwise.
  2. rosmoe

rosmoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2003 1150 GS. The fuel guage worked until the bikes warranty was up. Even though the tank is full, only shows 9 bars. I guess BMW still has the same guy building their useless fuel guages. One of the few non "bullet proof " items that you will discover.
  3. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is normal
    the fuel gauge has 1 LCD "BAR" for the first half of the tank capacity... and many for the next half

why?
    just another BMW "quirk"

your's is now normal
  4. BigBlue

BigBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That has made me feel a lot better. I now know that my bike is normal and not broken. Another BMW quirk but a very confusing one.
  5. harland

harland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Place your onboard computer to range and watch it along with the fuel guage. You will see the fuel guage go to one-half at about 100 miles. However, the range will still show 250+ miles. The range will then start dropping rapidly (more than one mile used when you have only gone 1/4 to 1/2 mile). The range will drop to about 90 miles at which point the range will begin to go up and at that point in time the range indicated will be fairly accurate even though the fuel guage may show that you are about out of gas. At least that is my experience. Overall, depending upon how fast I ride, I get about 350-370 miles per tank and I have a lot of wind resistance (Aeroflow extra tall windshield). Hope this helps.
  6. birdawg

birdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the range guage and always reset the trip1 meter on fillups. I totally disregard the fuel guage. It seems to be accurate when the tank is completly full and empty.
  7. TomW

TomW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto. Range meter and trip odometer. Mine's new enough that I don't have a good feel for 'interpreting' the fuel gauge yet. I really don't care if it's linear as long as it's consistent from tank to tank. So far it seems to be repeatable, but with the range and odometer there are plenty of backup systems.

Cheers.
  8. boatmole

boatmole Druken Wildebeest

Oddometer:
    We are currently on month 2 with our R1200GSA, bike runs great, but fuel management system leave a lot to be desired. On the first ride from Roseville, CA at A & S BMW to Sonoma and on to Bodega Bay, as the fuel level went down the range followed suite, then oddy the range gradually increased, bought fuel anyway.

Went for a ride Sunday and the starting range was 360 miles, rode 170 miles and the engine died, check engine light came on, range read 160 miles, fuel gauge show many bars, but physically out of gas. I like how it warns you after you have a problem, must be a German Joke.

I walked 2 miles and bought a 2 gallon gas can and put the gas in the bike, started righ up. I drove 1 mile to next off ramp and gas station and filled the tank completely. Specs state 8.72 gallon capasity, first gas in can receipt states 1.762 gallons, second station receipt 7.527 = 9.289 gallons total, with bike on the sidestand, which means .569 gallons should be on the ground - NOT.

If you have a real petcock with a reserve this is not an issue, with no petcock on the BMW it was big issue, as I tried to negociate 3 lanes of traffic at 80 mph to get to the road side. Remember the game Frogger.

I'm reverting back to my KLR 650 tried and true fuel management system. Buy fuel often.

I want a computer programer to change the "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" to "Hey buddy your screwed."
  9. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Deje-Vu all over again, except for the running out of gas. I bought a used 06 GSA with 12,600 miles on it two weeks ago. Was doing a fly and ride out of Denver to Atlanta. Headed south out of Denver with a full tank. Got about 100 to 150 miles south, where it is getting more and more remote, and noticed the range figure dropping at the rate of 2-4 miles for each actual mile I was riding. When it got to the low 100's I was getting really nervous. Actually pulled over and looked for fuel leaks as the PO had just had some mainenance done and thought maybe they knocked a fuel line off. No dice. Rode a while further and when it got below 100 miles I couldn't stand it and pulled off for gas. Was down only 3.5 gallons.

As others have said, I found the pattern of dropping rapidly between 250 and 100, and then having it go back up. Once it goes back up it might stay on the same range for 20 miles as it catches back up with the actual.

I will say that it seems to be accurate when it gets low. My range went down to 40 miles and when I filled it up I put in 7.7 gallons. I was averaging about 41mpg at the time as I was loaded down.
  10. Dorsicano

Dorsicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've also once run out of gas due to the fuel gauge malfunction. In fact, that's how I realised it wasn't working properly. It showed near full and I could not remember the last time I filled up. My 2009 GSA does great mileage, I thought. Luckily, it was still under warranty and it was quickly replaced.:deal
  11. BMWRich

BMWRich Long timer

Oddometer:

On my '07 GSA the gauge will show *Full* for the first 168 or so miles then it will drop to about half way. Below are some old photo's I had taken a while back of the dash readout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that helps a little bit.
    Remember,setting your trip O meter at fuel fillups will aid in knowing how much fuel is left.