Tiger 800/800XC tail/brake light upgrade

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by pilot3, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived yesterday, got it just after I dropped my Tiger off for SB439 to be done. Will wait until this weekend to install.
  2. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do tell. What is SB439 for?

Thanks,
    p3
  3. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Replace possible defective gear selector return spring.

Affects the VIN range: 466334 thru 501587 only.

Most owners are not affected.

I got lucky.
  4. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine yesterday and installed it today. It only took me 3 hours, 15 minutes to actually install the light, 2 hours & 45 minutes to get it on and off the tab spoken about in the directions.

I jest, of course, but it was the hardest bit for me. The rest was ridiculously easy. Kudos to Pilot3 for a professional job putting this all together :clap

[​IMG]
  5. pilot3

Oddometer:
    That's pretty funny. Maybe next batch I include another one of those stupid little tabs so you can just rip the other one out of there. Yeah it's a bugger, no doubt. And it doesn't help that the plug obscures the lower screw for the light.

Looks great!

p3
  6. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, all that and I'm near sighted so the closer I'd get to have a look, the less I could see. Plus, I just couldn't get any leverage with my fingers. I wound up gently using a pliers to get it off the tab, it took maybe 3 or 4 tries to get it lined up enough to slide back on.

Before getting the connector off the tab, I got as many of the wires out of that compartment, routing them around some other things to keep them out of the way. This revealed the lower screw nicely. I used a standard allen wrench, which I could only get the screw turned a tiny bit, but 2 or 3 of those teeny maneuvers and it was hand loose.

It was fun. Have some Barkbusters & Oxford grips on the way, I hope the grips are as easy as this was.
  7. Ronin1

Ronin1 Hoonigan

Oddometer:
    Are these still available?

Jim
  8. PDXBOB

PDXBOB n00b

Oddometer:
    Hearing these stories of how easy this is to install is exciting.

But I'll bet you I still figure out a way to f* it up!

I have a knack for that sort of thing!
  9. pilot3

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  10. pilot3

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone who purchased in round 1. Feedback has been great so far!

For everyone on the wait list, I will probably start the ordering for round 2 next week.

Here is who I have so far:

Rofor
    wanderlost
    invicta1
    PDXBOB
    erikh58
    ronin1

Anyone else, let me know.

p3
  11. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took less than an hour and a half. Most was to find the right tools and to figger out where that slot went. I'd have liked one more slide showing the slot from the back of the bike. After examining the bike it was evident what was needed, though. I also had to retrieve two, 2, more than one, friggin screws from the depths below the seat lock. Stoopid.

I suggest that anyone else installing one of these lights stuff the bottom of the cavity with rags or paper to the level of the bottom screw before taking out and re-installing the screws.

One of the best deals about this light is that I did not even have to Think about playing electrician. Snapping in the connectors was a dream compared to most electrical accessories, and I'm not going to be worrying about the connections going down the road. When it comes to brake lights, that means a bunch.

It looks great, and is Very bright. Thanks!

If anyone in the Denver area wants a hand with installation, I'll guarantee it will be done in 30 minutes!:deal
  12. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it in tonight with just a little finagling. Couple of tips-my connector was taped to the tab-they didn't have it snapped in, so check for that. Stuff some paper towels in the void when taking out and replacing the rear light assembly 3 bolts in case you drop them. Works great! Attention grabbing for sure:clap. great farkle
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Got mine installed. 40-45 minutes total work time. Nice.
  14. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Installed mine today also. Took me about 50 minutes. All went great.

Not that it matters, but I used a bastard file to create the arch in the plastic tab, and then used a square edge file to cut it to a rectangle that just perfectly fit the cord going through it. I took my time and it probably added 15 minutes to the job.

Also, as my garage was kind of chilly, I used a heat gun to gently warm the light assembly and plastic tail piece before applying the sticky tape. My thought is that it will soften the adhesive a bit and help it to adhere better.

Works great! Thanks again, Greg, for your excellent workmanship.
  15. NaDSoB

NaDSoB The garage is full.

Oddometer:
    Pilot -

Finally got around to installing mine today. Thanks to both your workmanship and clear instructions, the install went without a hitch (which for me, is nothing short of remarkable!).
    I can't thank you enough, this is one of the best upgrades I've done on my Tiger! Please be sure to let me know if you come up with any future projects.

Rob
  16. terrytwn

terrytwn n00b

Oddometer:
    This looks to be a wonderful addition and I was wondering if I can still tag along?
    :D
  17. JayL

JayL n00b

Oddometer:
    Count me in for the next run of units.
  18. pilot3

Oddometer:
    OK I am going to order the next batch today. The next group of buyers includes:

Rofor
    wanderlost
    invicta1
    PDXBOB
    erikh58
    ronin1
    terrytwn
    JayL

I just PM'd the above inmates. Please confirm and respond via PM.

Anyone else let me know.

p3
  19. klrider99

klrider99 I know a shortcut........

Oddometer:
    Hi Greg,

Got my light installed easily last Sunday evening. Great instructions, and a very nice piece of kit.

Thanks!
  20. pilot3

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I strive to send out a professional product because that is what I would want to receive so I'm very happy everyone liked their lights and the installations went smoothly. I'll take your suggestions and update the install instructions with the improvements.

For the next in line, I got responses from only two of you so far. I appreciate payment and will order when I get 5 confirmed. I PM'd or emailed everyone else, so please check your inboxes for your purchase information.

Regards,
    p3