New Guy with R100R

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by backfill, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The r100r has 32mm bings, not 40s. The pistons are not the same as earlier higher output R100s. They have a lower compression ratio of 8.5:1 compared to 9.5:1 in the higher output motors. The heads also changed from large port/valve in the in earlier models to smaller ports and valves in the later models. The exhaust doesn't do anything to meet emissions. There's no cat. Jetting also got leaner from earlier to later models.
  2. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to this, it has 40 mm and the 2 into 1 exhaust has a cat box under though?

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_r100r 92.htm
  3. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a South African website. The rest of the world got 40mm bings on r100 models up through '95, but bikes built for the US market stopped getting them in '84. That collector box is only to increase exhaust system volume (volume as in cubic ____s, not noise level) for better running and has no catalytic converter function to it, despite people commonly referring to it as a cat.
  4. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

Love the fact that US market always receives extra care.
  5. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    mine has 32mm bings. I think my /7 also has them. seat of the pants dyno has the r100r quicker off the line, but runs out of steam while the /7 runs stronger near the top. I DO know the /7 motor is smoother than my r100r motor. personnally, I like the older motors with the heavy flywheels.
  6. boxerkuh

boxerkuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This is correct. My 1992 is a UK model with 40's and the Euro switch gear were I can turn the head light on and off. Those are the only 2 differences that I am aware off... It was a lucky find, thank you for the GI that bought the bike in England and brought it back to the States. Thank you, thank you. I hope to never have to sell it.
  7. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I am one of the new guys with R100R which was just picked up today.

Everything is there and it needs a bath indeed since the PO believe in washing a bike will increase the rusting process.

Fuel lines are a mess now, and second part of the frame was painted in black. Other than that, PO stated he can ride this bike all the way from MA to CA without an issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

It's a 92 with 47K miles on it, and you don't want to know how much I paid.
  9. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    sweet:clap
  10. bPat

bPat n00b

Oddometer:
  11. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    The Motorcycling Gods know you're just gonna cafe it anyway. You're lucky you got any brakes.

looks pretty unmolested---even the emissions crap is still there...but I don't know that model well...is that the stock dash? Did you get bags with it?
  12. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

You are going to have many many happy miles(km) in this lovely machine.

I had chances to put some miles on mine 92'. Only thing I wish is it has a steering damper.

Does anybody have any luck of finding or using any kind of steering devices on a 92 later R100?
  13. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, what's it doing that makes you wish for a damper?
  14. boxerkuh

boxerkuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 1992 the R100R came only with one front disc from the factory. In 1993 they started with 2 front disc. They do have a "retro-fit" kit for the 92 year to add a second front disc. Truth be told, most people added the second disc. Hope that helps.
  15. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

trying to follow those 600 SS bikes at some back roads ....

:evil
  16. dricley

dricley n00b

Oddometer:
    Another new guy - another recently purchased R100R.

18,000 miles

First BMW - I'd been looking for a while. Is there a company that makes an aftermarket passenger backrest? What about bike specific tail bags?

Thanks! Looking forward to spending the summer riding..
  17. 97oilhead

97oilhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ended up getting a Corbin with the backrest for the passenger or driver if you want. You can keep an eye out for a used one the same model is used on the R100GS.
  18. bPat

bPat n00b

Oddometer:
    Picked up the 1992 R100R last night, got to drive it about 100 miles home. A little shaky at first getting used to the turn signals and slow turns, but I feel much more confident now. I did get beautiful side hard cases with it and a slightly higher cafe style fairing as well as the original. A couple of times I've had problems getting out of neutral into first. I would release the clutch, roll the bike slightly and then I can hit first easily. Is this something common or a sign of big problems? It just purred on the highway, I think it's such a beautiful bike. It's so clean and flawless, hard to believe it's over 20 years old. It's totally original, the first thing my buddy says is to cut the fuel lines and put in a fuel filter, I want to keep it stock.

I think it's the stock dash, but the previous owner added a classy clock between the tach and speedometer.
  19. Headhog

Headhog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Add me to the list of new R100R owners. At the end of May, I picked up a '94 R100R Mystic. It was sitting in storage since 2006. I've now added 700 miles to it since cleaning it up and getting road worthy. These are fun machines.:clap
  20. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Add fuel filters. Good and simple investment as a bike ages. Bings are good about tolerating dirt but no need to tempt the fates. Pop the carb bowls and have a look, if there is crap in the bottoms, definitely add the small conical filters. Dirt on the end of filler hoses at gas stations can be an issue. Like restroom door handles, you never know about the last guy. You have screens in the tank that will pick off flakes of tank lining and other big stuff. Fuel lines are likely due for replacement anyway. I replace mine ever other year or so.

Removing the EGR emissions system is a popular mod. Simple and you can keep all the bits in a box if you want. The bike runs better. Total emissions increase but if you compare total emmissions/miles traveled in a year, you're still a good citizen.

Quit worrying and ride it. Perhaps check the clutch adjustment and definately set the controls to match your feet. If it goes into first with a nice Clunk, you're golden. It should do this at rest and you might slip the clutch just a bit to line up the shift dogs. It doesn't have the fancy syncros of a car transmission.

Check tire pressures, especially the front. Handling should not be heavy. If someone has fitted an oversize front tire then it will be heavy.