The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian & the Supertanker

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my spare one is here further up the island. I ant asking a right testicle for it. has been in the shed for years. can get to a c 2 c rider who can pass to Steve
  2. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be running an Anakee on the front, just saying :D
    Paralever bearings do not travel through a wide enough range of travel (in my humble opinion) resulting in the brindling of which you speak. Adjustment (from memory( is 6 inch pound). I stopped replacing them and just let them run, wheel hasnt fallen off (yet :huh)
  3. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Good to see the old guy coming back together. may catch up for a beer when you guys are in Kawerau on the CtC.

Todays engineering lesson. Spot the subtle difference.

Brindling:

[​IMG]

Brinelling:

[​IMG]

:lol3

Cheers
    Clint
  4. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    All look stripy to me... :D. Be good to catch up.

Additional maintenance:
    The gearbox started leaking from the shifter seal, so replaced that. I had the seal but was too cheap to want to replace the existing one if it looked alright. As it transpires, I should have just done that anyway. Helpful when the patient can lean back on his elbows

[​IMG]

Swapped the very worn front MT21 for a new one. At $88k odd dollars, I figured why run anything more roady? The rear E09 still has 6.00-7.00 mm of tread so should be good for the trip (but I'd better check it again after thrashing it at Onoke Spit).

Also changed the front brake pads. The new ones measured 9mm together, face to face. The old ones were 2mm a side at worst, & were worn at an angle. While there was potentially still a lot of wear there, I wasn't happy to continue to run them. Replaced with Premier P126. This is the non sintered pad - I just don't need the wear on the disc.

[​IMG]

The carb idle needed to be raised a bit with the replaced lighter clutch carrier assembly to stop it stalling. On the heavy flywheel it would idle comfortably at 750-800 rpm. The clutch carrier really needs 1000 rpm to prevent idle stall.

Had an issue with the carbs going over to Martinborough which felt like a float bowl issue, blocked jet, or split diaphragm. Not sure which. I doubt that it's split diaphram given I've not long replaced those, & remedied itself shortly after I checked the bowls. I'm going to shorten the breather mod to check that this isn't a contributing cause.
  5. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you implying BMW bearings are dogs :krusty
  6. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    not at all,as far as i am aware BMW dont make bearings:norton
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Originally I was looking for a quiet run to dial in the carbs, to check that the gearbox was doing what it should, to check for any other issues that might cause me grief on the CtC, & also to play with my new Garmin e-Trex 20 GPS.

I had 'passed' on a ride with Stephen Oatley Saturday, mainly because I still had work to do on Gus (& also because I needed to get some stuff done around home here to build up brownie points with Mandy given I am away Labour Weekend). Saturday's weather was glorious here in J'ville, fine, warm, & still. I also passed on a run advertised on Kiwibiker with MarkS on Sunday, mainly because he seemed to be going too far (I wanted to preserve tyres & cash for CtC).

Then on Saturday night Chris Adam posted on Facebook, querying if anyone wanted a ride Sunday. I rashly posted about perhaps doing either Sutherlands Hut or Odlins Rd, & given Chris's enthusiastic response, was committed. At least the timing of the meeting at Rimutex (at 10.00 am) was civilized.

Sunday at J'ville was fine, but very blustery. I initially thought maybe I'd picked the wrong day to ride. But the winds eased on the ride to Upper Hutt.

The timing of our meeting at Rimutex coincided with a run by the Spyders Club, I assume organised with TSS.

Chris Adams (DR650), Ricky Kernohan (DR650), Daniel Wisner (XTZ660 Tenere), & Eugene King (WR426) made it along this time.

The run over the Rimutakas was relaxed, given I let 3 bikes (a KTM 990, Triumph 800, & a BMW G650GS) in ahead of me, as they proved not to be as speedy as anticipated. 1st stop was Martinborough for coffees (told you it was civilized), then out White Rock Road, then a right turn at Ruakokoputuna Rd, & straight out on good gravel to the Aorangi Forest Park.

The carpark was awash with bikes - I assume a Motomart run given the nos of big BMWs coming out of the track.

[​IMG]

I coached Daniel on dropping tyre pressures for the track. I think that helped.

The start of the track has always been blocked by a big mud puddle. That was smaller this time & had access across the ruts. The track itself seemed a little more cut up by erosion ruts than last time I was there, but all very manageable. The streams had washed away all the grit & pee gravel, so seemed to have a higher proportion of big rocks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Daniel had an issue with the steep exit of one stream - not unexpected. I had the same issue last time I was in there with EddieB.

I definitely still need to work on fitness.

The hut is still the same. Still abuzz with blowflies.

We decided to poke our noses up Cnut Hill. Ricky & Eugene made it to the top. Everytime I go there, I convince myself it's mind over matter, make it to the foot, & the hill convinces me otherwise. I was relatively happy to sit at the bottom & watch the carnage. Daniel got up about as far as Chris, & both decided to save it for another day.

[​IMG]

The ride out always seems to go much better than the way in. After a short break at the carpark, we hit the gravel on the way out. I was playing with cornering, sliding & eventually got so much into the groove I decided to go for a blast. It's rare that I do that, but was a hoot. After all, if Gus isn't built for that sort of stuff, what is he built for? Met Howie out for a spin at the White Rock Rd corner. Back to Martinborough to air up the tyre a bit, & gas for Eugene.

[​IMG]

Decided to attack Onoke Spit. Swapped bikes with Ricky for the ride down to Ocean Beach. It was good to try another bike. I thought that the DR had an FCR, it was carbureted so well. Taller than Gus, & firm (not harsh) suspension. With the Safari tank & stock headlight, felt almost stubby in front compared with Gus. Noisy exhaust though. Good to see Gus from another angle (I'm pretty pleased with the 'look' ;).

Couldn't convince Howie to come out to the Spit with us. The tide was coming up & it was almost full. The stream had scoured out a bit on last time I was there, so we needed to pick the right place to cross. The beach down by the tide line was relatively soft this time, so loads of wheelspin. It also had a lot of humps formed by the waves. So not a smooth ride. Good to get to the end though. I think the heavier bikes maybe suffered more than the 2 DRs & the WR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Eugene

[​IMG]
    Chris

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Daniel

Sorry Ricky, missed your stream crossing

By the time we got back to the Ocean Beach stream exit it was 5.30pm, so time to head home (separately - I thought I'd catch Ricky but he appeared in a hurry). Home 7.00 ish. Washed Gus then given salt & grit. Good ride guy. Thanks.
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    2013 Cape To Cape (CtC):

Padmei scooted across from Nelson Thursday on the Bluebridge ferry. He claimed the sailing was smooth despite (or maybe because of) the big winds. That night he got no sleep because of the mild zephyrs Wellington weather continued to serve up (I think he thought the sleepout was going to take off).

The pre ride plans blew out the window with the wind.

Friday:
    The goal was New Plymouth for the night.

Assembled as a group at the Mana weigh station, in blustery conditions. At least we were all late. I envied Padmei & Aslan's screens - I felt like a windsock on the road.

Stopped for coffee before the Paraparas.

[​IMG]
    Aslan

[​IMG]
    Padmei

It didn't rain (much) until after Wanganui. Then rain set in, & it hurled down between Raetahi & Taumaranui. We left big puddles of water under the MacDonald Taumaranui's seats, while we warmed up, & somewhat dried out. I discovered my wet weathers are no longer fully waterproof. Ah, the joys of a trickle of cold rain inside your riding gear.

After Taumaranui the weather eased, & we rode River Rd, Ohura Rd (Padmei particularly enjoyed Tangarakau gorge), then into Moki Rd (Mt Dampier), Mangapapa Rd, Okau Rd, then left into Kiwi Rd nirvana, & through to Moki Rd. Found a couple of tunnels in there. That ride has to be right up there with the Motu & Opotiki Rd (which is nowhere nr Opotiki). Then as bonus, Aslan led us on a magical mystery tour thru Uruti Rd, Kaka Rd, & Okoti Rd (capturing a third tunnel on the way) before finally coming out near Urenui at about 7.00pm, & on to New Plymouth.

[​IMG]
    Kiwi Road

Young1 & Leanne kindly turned on a fish & chip evening for the boys. It was much appreciated, even if we didn't dress appropriately for the event.

531 km day.

Saturday:
    5.30am starts are not especially welcome in my books, but were necessary to get to Cape Egmont from Phreaky Phil's, in time for the start. At least the weather was cooperating, & was fine & cool.

[​IMG]
    The start at Cape Egmont

It was there that I discovered that in my preoccupation with loading GPX tracks for the pre & post runs, that I'd actually deleted the Cape to Cape event gpx file from my GPS. Talk about a sinking feeling.

Because I was without the GPS track, I decided to hook onto the end of Young1, Jose & Pila. Jose & Pila looked pretty loaded up, & I was confident that I could keep up with them. That confidence was misplaced.

Access was gained through a farm to short cut between two Cape Egmont lighthouses. Unfortunately this meant that a few peoples GPSs immediately threw a wobbly, & as a result the tail enders got lost.

I lost Young1, Jose & Pila near the end of Carrington Rd. I got to a Y intersection, & they were gone. Waited 5 mins for the next riders, but they failed to show - so decided to leg it for Z Inglewood, which was the last gas for some time. Turned out that the group was all there waiting. As an aside, now I've checked the GPS files, I actually followed the exact route anyway.

The cornerman system was adopted from there on, which dealt to any further issues (at least until nr the East Cape).

Highlights / memorable moments for the day included:
    • The Forgotten Highway;

[​IMG]
      Whangamomona Pub refreshment stop
    • Opotiki Rd, north of Taumaranui. Andy Mac had led me & MarkS there a while ago. V Cool.

[​IMG]
      Jose & Pila, Opotiki Rd

[​IMG]
      Mo then Al, Opotiki Rd

[​IMG]
      Phreaky Phil, Opotiki Rd

[​IMG]
      View out thru the canopy, Opotiki Rd

• The road / rail bridge (rail over road) at Ongarue Back Rd;
    • Al's puncture. Actually the puncture wasn't a highlight, but realizing that that was the reason for the delay was. I was the cornerman after a fast stretch of sweeping bends, some with gravel at the apex - so I was concerned when people didn't turn up to my corner;
    • The unexpected multiple speed humps at the Pureora Forest Park Visitors centre. Guys, a bit of paint would go a long way towards visibility. People might slow down, rather than wrecking their rims;
    • Stopping at Whakamaru for lunch at 3.30pm. I had an 'all day breakfast' & lots of coffee;
    • Pongakawa Valley Rd, above Lake Rotoehu.

The campsite at Awakeri was pretty welcome, good to get the tent up, and the hot spring pools were luxury.

Something over 515 kms for the day.

Sunday:
    Early start to get to Opotiki by 8.00am. Unfortunately we missed the 1st section of gravel. The guys had decided not to do 2 nights at Awakeri - in hindsight that worked well, because it meant we could stay at Te Araroa.

We agreed we'd meet the Motellers at the Bakery in Optoki. Another all day breakfast & loads of coffee. There may be a theme running here.

[​IMG]
    Opotiki Bakery

Straight across to the Motu. This is a gorgeous piece of road / track. It's the first time I'd gone South on it. Every other time had been North. Climbing initially changes the dynamic markedly. Someone in the leading 2 riders frightened the shit out of an older gentleman running a Suzuki jeep. He was pale with big eyes when he stopped to talk to me...

Aslan had fretted heaps about the stream crossing. It was dry.

[​IMG]
    Mo. Photo by Chris

[​IMG]
    Aslan. Photo by Chris

[​IMG]
    Padmei & Phreaky Phil. Photo by Chris

[​IMG]
    Box'a'bits. Photo by Chris

[​IMG]
    Padmei, Motu Rd

[​IMG]
    Phreaky Phil, Motu Rd

[​IMG]
    Padmei, Motu Rd

Whakarau Rd is cool. I stopped to take some photos. Phil was Tail End Charlie for this section, & wouldn't let me just catch up, & waited for me to pack up. So we had a really excellent ride to chase down Aslan & Padmei, the next 2 riders. Buzzing.

[​IMG]
    Aslan, Whakarau Rd

[​IMG]
    Phreaky Phil, Whakarau Rd

Took a number of backroads up to the East Cape (from near Gisborne) instead of the normal coast road. These appear heavily used by logging trucks. The last road before the lunch break looked like they'd let a trainee grader driver loose on it. The problem areas were left alone, but there was big loose gravel strewn everywhere else. Made you really concentrate.

Chris dried his tent at the lunch break. Everyone else just ate their lunch. Always trying to be different.

[​IMG]

Because the road had been difficult to that point, Aslan & Padmei took off earlier, with Young1 leading. We later caught Young1, but Padmei & Aslan took their own path.

Immediately following the lunch break the gravel roads improved markedly. But seemingly the damage had already been done, with Micawberism's final drive packing up. Mo agreed to follow him out to the nearest farmhouse, & then to pillion him across to the East Cape to finish the ride.

[​IMG]
    Micawberism breakdown. Photo by Chris

[​IMG]
    Lets figure a way out of here. Photo by Chris

Have to say the last few sections of gravel I was running on empty. I was very happy to finally see seal.

I regret putting the 91 in Gus at Te Araroa. He didn't digest it well. I probably almost had enough left in the tank to get to Gisborne anyway.

Climbed the 1000 steps to the East Cape lighthouse for the photo opportunity. Won't do that again...

[​IMG]
    View up to the East Cape lighthouse

[​IMG]
    Winners & grinners

[​IMG]
    View back to land, from the East Cape lighthouse

[​IMG]
    East Island, off the East Cape

[​IMG]
    View back to the East Cape lighthouse. Photo by Chris

Met Aslan & Padmei on our way out of the Cape - they'd got led by their devils box into a dead end backroad, & up someone's driveway. At least she was purported to be good looking.

Stayed the night at Te Araroa camp ground with Aslan, Padmei & Chris ($15/night ea), & dined at the Te Araroa Sport club - hosted by Murray. Nice people, loud music, not bad Karaoke.

Approx 415 km day

Monday:
    Chris headed North for Auckland. We decided to leg it south on SH35 to Gisborne, Lunch at Wairoa, then on to Napier.

I have had a couple of near misses with wildlife, stock, & a dog this weekend. I don't know how I missed the dog. It was close.

[​IMG]
    Padmei, Tologa Bay Wharf

Breakfast at Tologa Bay. An all day breakfast & coffee.

We missed a couple of accidents by not much. Between Gisborne & Wairoa a boat trailer had lost a wheel, & ruined the oncoming car driver's day. There was another car in a ditch earlier in the day.

Loads of cops out Monday, helping people lighten the load...

Fine to SH50, then a few shower cells. By just outside Pahiatua the weather was getting serious about things, & the riding was mildly unpleasant. Over the Rimutaka's the sun came back out. Home about 7.30pm-ish.

704 km day. So 2165 kms for the weekend.

Top weekend. Thanks Colin & Phil. I talked with the boys about getting a 'I survived a Colin & Phil ride' tee shirt printed up. Taking orders now...

Weekend costs:
    $537 total. That included fuel $400, food $92, & accomodation $33.

General maintenance:
    I topped up circa 250mm of oil on the way round, & the dipstick was at near minimum level when I returned to Wgtn. So I think a portion of the oil consumption has been crankcase pressurisation. I likely won't run the oil levels as high going forward.

221,482 kms. Gave Gus a wash & general spruce up on Tuesday / Wednesday.

• Changed the engine oil (no filter)
    • Changed the gearbox oil. Some fuzz on the magnetic drainplug & discoloured oil - possibly from the grease I used on reassembly
    • Changed the final drive oil. One small splinter & some minor fuzz on the drainplug - basically clean with some dust contamination.
    • Cleaned the air filter - not unexpectedly v.dirty.

The front MT21 needs to be spun around. It has worn heavily, but was worth it for the grip it gave. The rear E09 still has 4.00 mm tread depth - surprising. It was 6.00 mm before the weekend. I thought it would be dead at the end of the CtC.
  9. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Nice write up and photos Steve - thanks for your company on a great ride. In my books up there with the best.
  10. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Nutso. Great pics.
    Thanks for your company & route guidance. I hope Mandy is enjoying her Pics peanut butter.
  11. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice write up. :thumbon the T shirt. Colin an I will have to get " special ones "
    Similar on the oil. Mine was full to start and at half now. I am going to put my airbox bypass hose on again and put a litle catch bottle there to check. My airbox was pretty oily.
  12. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    are you sayin the Petrol at Te arora was dodgey ,or do you normally run 95(or whateva?)
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I changed to used 9.5:1 pistons (from my RS) a wee while ago. Doesn't like 91 now. The fuel at Te Araroa was likely fine. Just not for Gus. I probably had enough fuel on board to wait until later.
  14. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are those pivot pegz on Gus ? What do you rekon of them and where can you get them ?
    Cheers Phil
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Here's the link to when I first fitted them. I find them really good. The stock pegs were way too narrow & crippled me for the Clarence River Ride.
  16. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I guess, even though they are further forward you have no trouble getting your boot under ?
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Not at all. I like 'em. :D
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:

Yup, that's pretty much how we roll...:D
  19. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a cool vid. :clap it shows ya just what ya can do on these bikes. With a little help at times :D
  20. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I can't believe you posted that Steve.
    That is one of most irresponsible displays of blatant disregard for personal safety & of the environment that we all share & should be committed to protect. Did you realse that feshwater fish swim all the way upstream to spawn in those creeks?
    The minimal protective gear they wore would not have helped had they had an accident - especially if they hit a 4wd/cattle truck/ tractor on those back roads had on while travelling at high speeds on those back roads.
    It's cowboys like that riding machines not designed for off road purposes that are driving my ACC levies higher every year.
    The tyres did not look warrantable nor with much tread judging by the way one of those hooligans liked "hanging it out" round corners - on a public road!
    The noise from one of those exhaust pipes was offensive & easily above the db level for road worthiness.

I shall be back with a moderator soon. Please don't leave or delete the post.