F800GS Touratech 20lt fueltank - Who's got one???

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Wildman, Jan 30, 2009.

1. chadams

chadams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. cimat

cimat n00b

Oddometer:
  3. dehringca

dehringca 14ADV

Oddometer:
    I was privileged to purchase my 2009 F800GS with a truckload of TT upgrades including the LR tank.
    Gotta say I love it - used to open the taps once fuel got low, but got lazy and found that I didn't need to close them off, though it does leak a little fuel when both tanks are filled to the brim.
    Bike feels really well balanced though haven't yet tried to run in soft sand with full tanks - will take a run to the beach once it warms up a little...
    IMG_2626.JPG IMG_2515.JPG IMG_2567.JPG
    the Pheasant likes this.
  4. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Still going.

Beach sand with a full fuel load....yeah...not looking forward to that.
  5. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    how I missed looking at your bike :0) still looking good
    Snowy likes this.
  6. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here it is winning the Inaugural Fat Arsed Adventure Bike GP. The IFAAB GP. 10156124_1033737493337811_4456626506549446900_n.jpg

and they reckon riding with that much beer in you leaves you impaired....pphhhhhttttt
  7. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Victory lap

IFAABGP 3.jpg

Note I'm wearing a KTM t-shirt.

The BMW is 22.3% faster if the rider is wearing a KTM t-shirt. Scientifically proven.
  8. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You actually get a fair idea of how big the Touratech tank is in these pics. It is like having a full fairing, with the protection for your legs and lower body. Combined with a decent sized screen it's basically a big touring fairing.

Which has it's advantages and disadvantages. For throwing the bike around on a tight grass course, you feel just how top heavy it is. The extra weight of the tank up high, even when empty (8.9kg) is noticeable. With the Rekluse clutch, if I locked the rear wheel coming into the hairpins, the back end would really swing on the grass, and as you fight to control it balance wise, when it grips up it really tries to highside you in a very violent way.

What I would thoroughly recommend is that you find somewhere with a track laid out, and have a play. Push yourself and find out exactly how it behaves. It's the best fun I've had on a bike in ages.
  9. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Front on shot you can see how well the legs sit in behind the tank

IFAABGP 4.jpg

Don't know why that leg was down, if the bike comes down on it with any force it'll snap it like a twig.
  10. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the eye candy Snowy: ) sure looks like a hell of a fun ride
    soyanarchisto likes this.
  11. N4pSt3R

N4pSt3R SaradisSt

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,

I wish to ask, the distance which the tank has, side to side from the outside, and if I order the non painted because the price is better, if I can warped with 3M vinyl
    instead of painted.

Thanks.
  12. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Approx 710mm at widest point.

I have stickers on mine and they have lots of tiny bubbles forming under them. In the old days with plastic tanks it was common for bubbles to form under sticks or vinyl that had been applied to them.

Not sure if it's still a common problem with this type of plastic, but looking at mine I'd guess it probably is.
    N4pSt3R likes this.
  13. N4pSt3R

N4pSt3R SaradisSt

Oddometer:

Thanks mate, I measure the crash bars to find if I can keep it, and for the vinyl you have right, I don't think it and probably I paint it.
  14. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    there are no crash bars that will support that tank, only option were the old design givi bars that needed to be "adjusted"
  15. N4pSt3R

N4pSt3R SaradisSt

Oddometer:
    i bought the bike with adventure spec crash bars, Is the best for my opinion and I ll try to find where is the collision with the TT tank, cut it and weld up some extra metal tube, if I don't make it I leave it without bars or put BMW which is OK, you can see it on adventure model.
  16. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to cut up the Altrider bars I had and modify them to fit. It actually works really well in the dirt, it's been extensively crash tested. They stop the lower part of the tank taking a big hit. With a little more modification I could make it so they'd protect it in a big slide down the road too.

I think Chaddams is actually the guy I bought the tank off, and he'd thrown it down the road a couple of times from memory. It was just scuffed. Nothing serious. They are unbelievably tough.
    N4pSt3R likes this.
  17. clax

clax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old thread but good to read as I'm thinking of trying one of these tanks. I wonder if anyone is parting with one!?
  18. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just 2 weeks ago I had a look at Lisa Thomas bike (from 2Ridetheworld) at the AdvMoto rally in WV to see if our (Staubwolke) crash bar would fit her bike. She had scratched it in Alaska and wanted something to protect the tank. From the look of it, it seemed to work and only needed an extra tank bracket. I would've sponsored her but Simon didn't want to upset their other big sponsor Touratech. Our crash bar comes out further than the tank and will protect it completely.
  19. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    upsetting their sponsor TT because you get them protection they can't get from them? hmkay, guess they have sandy vagay-gays over there too
  20. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who really knows what Simon got to do to keep both of them on the road, funded. I can only offer. It must be really tough though to get enough money to do what these two do, for that long.