Big Gun exhaust on my '01 640Adv

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neumie, Jul 7, 2009.

1. neumie

neumie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick follow up to this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465734&page=2 which appears to be located in "head explody" and not currently taking replies.

I purchased one of the Big Gun full exhausts mentioned above and installed it over the past couple evenings. It would have been alot more difficult if not for the help of a friend who is an excellent fabricator. Stock exhaust=15 lbs, Big Gun=8 lbs (give or take, I was using a bathroom scale.)

[​IMG]
    The ceramic coating on this exhaust looks great, notice the custom exhaust hanger near the passenger peg. This stainless beauty relocates the bracket up 0.50" to give the starter cover and mid-pipe some clearance. I'm adding a small bracket on the rear subframe to strengthen it and give the canister a sturdy mounting point. I'll add a pic when I get a chance.

[​IMG]
    Notice the tiny gap between the left header and the lower radiator hose. This gap was nonexistent until I trimmed 1/8" off the header where it meets the exhaust flange.

[​IMG]
    And a view of the USFS Approved spark arrestor--what!#? A ride around the block and the spark arrestor has been vaporized by the mighty Katoom.

Did I mention that this thing is loud? :ear

I plan on installing a quiet insert of some sort, I just can't in good conscience fire this thing up at 6:30 on a Saturday morning and go for a ride.

I am sending a letter to Big Gun regarding the spark arrestor, maybe they'll make good and mail me another.

I've installed the racing side cover and have ordered main jets and a Stenhouse Racing extended idle mixture screw. All of this info is readily available here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79898

I haven't decided yet whether the stock exhaust will make it back onto the bike. If I can get this sucker quieted down a bit I think I'll be very happy with it.
  2. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    sorry to say this, but ya get what ya pay for and Big Gun is nothing but garbage. on top of that their customer service sucks. if you do a search you will find endless numbers of threads about these pieces of crap. everything from crappy manufacturing to the entire system blowing apart.

save yourself the heartache and see if they will take it back and refund your money. if not take it off, and sell it on fleabay. hopefully there someone dumb enough out there to buy it...

sorry,

laramie :beer
  3. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    I watched my partners fall off doin 60 on a sandy road.. the pos cracked at the front pop rivet holes and he proceded to do this 3 times... until he had a megaphone set up done....
  4. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    :deal

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9875910&postcount=15